!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout  (Read 3764 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2017, 07:13:30 am »
Looking good Matt.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2017, 08:17:34 pm »
Finished all the main line Track today, couldn't get onto the branchline as I ran out of flexi, but have ordered the extra few metres I need so that will be next weeks project.

Onto wiring tomorrow. I have three handheld gaugemaster controllers so I am planning to wire it up as follows:

A main bus pair of wires going round underneath each mainline, with droppers to power the track. One HH controller allocated to each mainline.

Four separate sections, the small goods sidings on the small station, the loco sheds, the main goods depot in the main station and the branchline, each to be allocated power from the third controller by a simple on off switch, so the extra controller can be simply allocated to whichever section it is needed on, also allowing these sections to be isolated completely.

The engine shed with the two longer sidings has isolated sections at the ends so I can park a loco then turn off and park a second one behind.

All corossovers between tracks are fully isolated, I plan on matching controllers to drive from one to the other or onto the branchline.

Can anyone see any obvious problems with running it this way. It is DC obviously.

Matt

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2017, 09:44:15 pm »
Gotta love those flowing curves :heart2:

For DC I would always recommend wiring all track feeds to all controllers via switches such that any controller can run any part of the layout. That way there is no need to try and match speeds across crossovers with 2 controllers as, with correct switching of the track sections, one controller will do it all.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2017, 10:01:08 pm »
Gotta love those flowing curves :heart2:

For DC I would always recommend wiring all track feeds to all controllers via switches such that any controller can run any part of the layout. That way there is no need to try and match speeds across crossovers with 2 controllers as, with correct switching of the track sections, one controller will do it all.

I like that idea, but I am trying to keep it child friendly, and I am not sure how I would wire it up so it can't be accidentally switched so two controllers are shorted. While he may not be able to match across the tracks very easily, I think it will stop him damaging anything.

Unless you can show me how it's done in more detail?

Matt

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2017, 07:08:16 am »
Yes, please do show us how to link all controllers as suggested, Mick.

May help me resolve several 'challenges'.

Dave G

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2017, 09:34:39 am »
@mattycoops43
@daveg

I'm referring to DC cab control and am hopeless at doing diagrams on the 'pooter so see if these make sense to you............

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6100-dc-cab-control-the-basics/

http://rail.felgall.com/cc.htm

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2017, 10:10:56 am »
Thank you NPN

I think you are right, that is the way to go, but it needs a bit of research and possibly some bits and bobs buying, so I will probably get it running with a very simple set up to keep nipper happy then do some proper learning and design a circuit that will do it properly.

Reading that first link, there is a comment about needing separate transformer windings for each controller with common return. I have a Gaugemaster twin transformer, was going to run a mainline off each side, and piggy the third controller off one side. I know the transformer has multiple times the capacity to run two loco's simultaneously, but is there a reason why I can't do this? If it is only a problem with common return, I could just wire it up with everything switching, including earths. I am pretty good at wiring, but used to automotive and RC so unfamiliar with cab control, and I have never used common return in that way (apart from cars obv) but RC stuff everything tends to be twin wire.

Thanks for the info.

Matt :goggleeyes:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2017, 10:19:27 am »
My philosophy was to take 2 wires with 12V on them.

After that I made it up  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2017, 12:26:10 pm »
Matt - I know Gaugemaster twin controllers have separate windings so are OK for operating 2 trains but am not sure about piggybacking a 3rd :uneasy:
I'd play safe and buy a cheapo Farish one split from a set (can be picked up at some larger shows) as, although they are basic and literally only power the track, they actually give good control.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2017, 02:25:54 pm »
Matt - I know Gaugemaster twin controllers have separate windings so are OK for operating 2 trains but am not sure about piggybacking a 3rd :uneasy:
I'd play safe and buy a cheapo Farish one split from a set (can be picked up at some larger shows) as, although they are basic and literally only power the track, they actually give good control.

Thank you. I have a Hornby controller which has a 16vAC output so I can use that for controller 3, I was just keeping it for a dcc test track (I convert my Dads loco's to DCC for him) but I can do without and use it on the layout instead.

I remember testing it once, the track output is one of those that just pulses 12v instead of reducing voltage to get slower speeds. Could I use it for my branchline for example? or will it damage an n gauge loco? I know they are not brilliant for control, but having an extra controller for free is always handy.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2017, 04:13:45 pm »
Simple answer is I just don't know :dunce:
Time to enlist some help @Only Me

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2017, 07:56:26 pm »
Update!

It's taken me all afternoon and a sore back, but we have trains running. Only the two main lines for now, but the encouraging thing is several loco's ran round with no issues including the movable bridge so I got the track fairly tidy from the off.

Offline gwells

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2017, 09:27:38 pm »
Coming along really well.

I have just caught up with your thread.

I like the idea of the packing crates being removable, i may give that idea a try.

Gary

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2017, 10:25:36 pm »
I think I have it, how to make it switchable and child friendly.

Instead of wiring it so the controller is switched onto the different tracks, each section of track has a three way switch to assign it to one of the three controllers, that way it is impossible to switch any section to more than one controller at a time. Same as cab control, but I am thinking about it from the other end. All I need is a few three way switches and a control panel.

Thanks for the help, I can see how I need to get it sorted now.

Matt

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2017, 02:36:33 pm »
Woo hoo! Trains be running. I have a VERY excited 4yr old loving it. The funny thing is he keeps telling me off for going too fast!

Anyway, couple of pics with some rolling stock. Multi way switches ordered so cab control coming soon.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here