!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout  (Read 3827 times)

Offline mattycoops43

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New layout, design advice needed.
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2017, 11:45:50 am »
Progress happening much faster now the attic is a bit cooler! Cork for the mainline is finished, I have decided to do most of the basic scenery outline with EPP before track laying to reduce the mess and chance of damage to the track. Yesterday I put in the incline for the branchline. It climbs to 50mm over approx 3m at a rate of 3mm per 200mm. I have used small pieces of foam to set the incline correctly, and next job is to add more foam underneath to stop the mdf sagging.

After that I will be putting in shaped blocks to form the basic mountain and ground structure. Hoping I can then hoover up all the mess before the fun bit of tracklaying commences!

Matt

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
Re: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2017, 09:17:45 pm »
Not sure if this has worked, but I think I have changed the title to the name of the layout. Thought I would update it as progress is happening, make it a slightly more appropriate title.

Matt

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 10:42:29 pm »
Hi Matt,

Just come across this one. All looking good and looking forward to more.

Happy modelling.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 07:55:48 am »
Like @weave, I've just 'found' your thread.

Excellent amount of space to work with so a bit envious.

Being late on parade, I seem to have missed seeing the track plan from your earlier posts and it isn't available now. Any chance of a reissue?

I also used insulation foam to help build scenic contours. Take care with any fumes when you are heating the stuff!

Hope you are able to control the attic temperature to avoid further damage to building and trackwork.

Look forward to seeing your next update.

Dave G

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 07:58:41 am »
Looking great!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2017, 11:22:30 am »
Given me food for thought on the incline, as I am just about to relocate the existing layout.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2017, 07:47:29 pm »
Given me food for thought on the incline, as I am just about to relocate the existing layout.

Jerry

Thanks. I just think it's surprising how much real track has an incline of some sort, however small, and yet most of us (myself included) tend to go with flat track. I think it makes a huge difference to the realism of a layout.

Matt

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2017, 08:04:21 pm »

Here you go. Sadly my older pics all fell foul to the Photobucket ripoff. This is the track plan I am working to, the main difference is I was offered a load of Large radius points for a good price so I will be trying to fit them where possible. The plan is entirely with medium radius points.

The plan is the guide, but as usual, I will be seeing how it goes in the real world and modifiying it where needed. The terrain on the plan is only a guide, and I will be seeing what fits there in reality.

Matt

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2017, 09:28:56 pm »
Todays progress

Realised I need to lay the hidden corners before I can construct the scenery that will cover it. Plan is for it to be completely accessible from the end of the layout by making the scenery nice and high and completely open backed.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2017, 07:26:13 am »
Thanks for the SCARM and photos, Matt.

I think part of the fun is when during the build, you realise that a tweak here and there makes a better scene, improves the viewing area or is simply more practical.

Great if you don't have to create lift-off sections but can access 'high risk zones' from the side or back.

I have a tiny (but unplanned - 19th century flooring!) incline on Hurst Hill that is fine for other than my early Poole King that really struggles. I'm amazed such a large loco 'can't pull the skin off a rice pudding'!  :D

Keep the updates coming.  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 05:32:19 pm »
Managed to get some time at Beattie Road the last two days. I have had a change of plan regarding the order. The scenery foam bashing is very time consuming and my boy hasn't been able to play with trains for weeks, so I have decided to call a halt and put the track down so he can get back to running trains while I create a landscape.

Half the track is basically laid. I am amazed how closely I have been able to stick to scarm. There are a couple of minor adjustments to fit in with the number of left and right points i got in a big bundle, but the only real change is the running loop is changing sides on the branchline as I ran out of left hand points but had right hand left.

Large radius points look so much better, I have managed to hide the mediums mostly apart from a couple in the loco works area, but even that is mostly still large radius. Due to the huge length available to me, changing from mediums has not actually demanded a change in layout design, but there are a couple of places where the larger radius meant I had to squeeze things a bit.

I have promised junior running trains when they come back Sunday (Mrs mattycoops taking the kids to the inlaws in Doncaster for the weekend) so I have incentive. Need to order 5m extra track to complete the branchline but certainly have enough for the main running loops and sidings.

I have also started to build the scenery section over one of the ends where I want to hide the track. I have decided it will be town scene not hills, so am using foam packing and card and have decided it will be removable to allow better access to the track for cleaning and repair. I can get in under it but it is too tight for repair work.

Matt

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 05:49:52 pm »
A very neat job with that track.
Looks very good indeed.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 05:52:49 pm »
Looks very good indeed.
#

Thank you. It is my first time using glue. I have always pinned in the past. I am using pins between the sleepers to hold it down till dry, then pulling them out.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 08:51:46 pm »
Looks very good indeed.

Agreed, and nice sweeping points. Lovely.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 09:13:06 pm »
Looks to be coming on very well :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00