!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 6x2 plans  (Read 2227 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: 6x2 plans
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 01:58:58 pm »
I prefer the latest version as the track is more curved than previous ones. Some folks have complained that having a point immediately off a curve leads to derailments so you might have to put small straights in between if you are running steam locos.

Offline Nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 02:11:22 pm »
Some folks have complained that having a point immediately off a curve leads to derailments so you might have to put small straights in between if you are running steam locos.
The other issue I spot that isn't 100% desirable is the change of direction as you enter the "bottom" loop. It means that a train executes a S-curve as it exits the end-of-layout curve and runs through the point. Whether that's a practical problem with R2 curves though, I know not.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 02:24:47 pm »
Slight revision to plan.

I like the flowing curve on the scenic section, much better than usual curve-straight-curve of a trainset oval. On the same lines, maybe introduce a slight curve to the sidings inside the oval just for a little extra visual interest.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 02:45:03 pm »
I am quite happy with the plan. I have used settrack for the curves at end and then flexi for the rest, but on actual layout would be using flexi everywhere so I can smooth out the curves a little more. Will probably curve the two lines on the right a bit and create maybe an engine shed or something. Not totally sure what to put there to be honest. Any ideas?

Will do plans for the other plans in a little while.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:51:13 pm by barneyadi »

Offline Nick

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 03:08:45 pm »
I might be tempted to put the goods shed there instead of where you have it, and put an engine shed where the goods shed is.

You could then shunt the goods yard while trains were running on the continuous section if you were so minded and the layout was appropriately wired. At the moment it will be difficult to shunt the goods shed without impinging on the main line, and you don't have any obvious place to put trucks except the goods shed siding.
Nick

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 03:22:21 pm »
Thanks, that makes sense. Think I will stick with this plan, fine tune it slightly but otherwise all set to go. But any other ideas/improvements most welcome.

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 03:28:12 pm »
Will probably curve the two lines on the right a bit and create maybe an engine shed or something. Not totally sure what to put there to be honest. Any ideas?

Depends on your setting. If you are modelling somewhere fairly rural then a dairy is a great addition. They came in a range of sizes with the smaller ones usually have just 1 or 2 sidings. The milk tanks add a bit of variety to the layout too. The creamery at Pont Llanio in Wales is a great example of this sort of building.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 04:08:56 pm »
A Creamery is an interesting thought. Will be a rural location so would fit, maybe a distillery might work too.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 06:24:51 am »
If i could extend plan to 10 feet by 2 feet, what could i do with plan?

Online njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 06:49:42 am »
Make it 4 foot longer ;)

I'd say extending the width would be more valuable, gentler curves, opening up a more viable two track oval, another 6" would really help.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 08:45:23 am »
Make it 4 foot longer ;)

I'd say extending the width would be more valuable, gentler curves, opening up a more viable two track oval, another 6" would really help.

Unfortunately that is not an option.

Online njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 08:51:05 am »
Well obviously making it longer would mean you could run longer trains, have more sidings etc. If you wanted to be ambitious it would make gradients a bit more viable, as they could be gentler. 10' in n is a decent length certainly - 8+ coach trains won't look daft.

Offline Nick

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:49 am »
If i could extend plan to 10 feet by 2 feet, what could i do with plan?
Well, if you are secretly hankering after seeing mainline expresses thundering past each other on a double track, I'd return to playing with that for a while and seeing where you get.

It doesn't help with the tightness of the curves, obviously, but it does give you more room for manoeuvre with the pointwork at the station throat. One of the reasons that short double-track plans look so toylike is that you have little flexibility for complexity in the pointwork that moves trains from both tracks into your station, goods yard, private industry whatever. Or for any non-essential curves. it's a shame that you haven't got another 6", but we all have to work with what we have.

If you do play with this, bear in mind that you can't mix and match SetTrack and Streamline freely on a double track layout. The point geometries are different and result in different track spacings. So you need to design with what you plan to use.
Nick

Online fisherman

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 03:59:34 pm »
agree... add another  9 inches to  the width!!
<o({{{<<

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 05:14:03 pm »
Can't get anymore width, and have decided to keep things to 6x2 for now, but thanks for all your opinions. Still got to play a little with sidings, adding some curve to them.
Got to decide on industry as well, both a dairy and distillery sound good. Wonder about other industries, maybe a timber merchants?

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything