!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 6x2 plans  (Read 2237 times)

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
6x2 plans
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:54:08 pm »
Hi all

Have a 6 x 2 board for a layout. In the pic are 4 plans. Can anyone see any problems with any of the plans. The two plans going to a fiddle yard, I can add a yard for those.

Any advice much appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:55:28 pm by barneyadi »

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: 6x2 plans
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 08:30:10 pm »
Double track on a 2' wide board is possible, pushing it. The bottom one looks ambitious in the length - not sure you'll fit all that in a 6' oval.

Have you tried any layout design software, which will give you a better idea of what will really fit? I know I'm always very ambitious when I doodle plans, and imagine points are about 2"  long!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:49:31 pm »
When running UK stuff and having 2 ovals, the outer oval generally travels clockwise and the inner anti clockwise. Run an imaginary train and see where you need points etc. as I think you'll find No.3 very tedious to operate :hmmm:

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:06:38 pm »
I think it will either be plan 2, which was in the Railway Modeller in Feb 1990 called Kyle of Tongue and plan 4, which is in the Peco Compendium of track plans for layouts to suit all locations. Plan 4 was drawn in OO scale 12x4, so thinking it is possible to reduce to 6x2 in N. Plan 1 is another from Railway Modeller from November 1991 called Loch Feldy.

Online JonHarbour

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 12:22:44 am »
Translating OO plans to N often doesn't work well because of the curve radii. Think of it like this - the tightest radius of Peco set track is 9" and many locomotives struggle to get around that. Even 3rd radius curves in set track are 11 3/4" (298.5mm) which puts them very close to the edge of a 2 foot baseboard!
Still planning a layout...

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 07:58:07 am »
Ok, so most likely best to go with plan 1 or 2. Will have a 3 1/2 ft fiddle yard and then the original 6ft by 2ft scene. Got one other possible plan, a Ian Futers, will try and post better views of plans later.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 11:34:18 am »
Andy Calvert's "Welham Green" had a twin track continuous run on a 6x2 board. I believe this layot is now cared for by Dave Jones.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Nick

• N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 11:51:46 am »
I'd also suggest using layout planning software (e.g. AnyRail) to design your proposed layout using accurate track and point geometries, rather than simply sketching, especially if you are shrinking plans down from a larger scale.

There really isn't much room in 6x2 for double continuous runs. It's doable, but you don't want to deceive yourself and discover that your plan doesn't fit when you come to lay track. As others have said, you can't simply halve an OO layout's dimensions, whatever you may read from some authors.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 11:57:11 am »
Well taking plan 4 as a possible, the curves at the end would be 2nd radius which I believe is ok in N. If I did a two track I would have to use 1st radius for the inside track, not so sure how trains might run on that. Did have a quick play with Anyrail and it seemed possible, need to firm it up. The two terminus plans, 1 and 2 would be easier to do I suppose, but I do like continuous runs if possible.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 12:30:21 pm »
Here is plan in anyrail for plan 4. Any obvious problems?

Offline Nick

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 12:36:17 pm »
It doesn't look as though it's joined up in half a dozen places... Notably the section that leads to the sidings in the idle of the board, where there seem to quite sharp radii involved to mate with the points.

Fixable, but it's not complete as is.

Are you using Settrack or Streamline?
Nick

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 12:48:11 pm »
It doesn't look as though it's joined up in half a dozen places... Notably the section that leads to the sidings in the idle of the board, where there seem to quite sharp radii involved to mate with the points.

Fixable, but it's not complete as is.

Are you using Settrack or Streamline?

I think that is down to my lack of skill with Anyrail. Used a mix of both settrack and streamline just to give a feel for plan.

Offline Nick

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 01:00:44 pm »
I think that is down to my lack of skill with Anyrail. Used a mix of both settrack and streamline just to give a feel for plan.
It's worth persevering and joining things up (I think you'll need to insert some extra sections), because Anyrail will warn you if you use curves that are too sharp. (You can set a minimum acceptable radius.) I suspect those middle sidings need to com closer to the bottom of the board.

I guessed you'd mixed the two. As far as I know, that's fine, but I've never done it personally so don't know if there's some hidden "gotcha". If there isn't, I would certainly be tempted to use it for the end of layout curves, to ensure they are even, or, if you do use Streamline for them, I'd invest in an appropriate "Tracksetta" tool to keep the  curves even.
Nick

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 01:35:58 pm »
Slight revision to plan.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 01:40:43 pm »
Here is plan in anyrail for plan 4. Any obvious problems?

that curve in the middle is abit odd,
also to help you out ,pressing the PrtScn normally above the insert button on your keyboard and pasting the resulting image into paint will give you a far better resolution image, and will be much easier to see. You can also switch anyrail to see sleeper based track as well.
In the new er shot I'd be wary about how close those ends are between the bottom sets of points. Might be tricky to get trains past each other without bumping each other (which is why I turn roadbed and sleepers on so you can see how wide the track will be!)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything