!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Re-planning Eston Old Town  (Read 133 times)

Offline Bob Lawrence

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re-planning Eston Old Town
« on: April 24, 2017, 06:29:12 pm »
Decided to re-plan and re-build Eston Old Town on a bigger baseboard (6'x30") made from 12mm MDF. Because of it's size it will need to be built in an outside shed and because it will be MDF it has been the subject of a previous topic, i.e. sealing it, this has been done using 3 coats of Matt Wilko quick drying varnish.
I also liked the idea of the reverse loop but it had no significance really, so done away with it.
Also because it will be MDF I propose to add extra supports and as a precaution wanted to locate them so they weren't in the way of the point motors. With this in mind I started drawing the full size layout on the back of lengths of wallpaper, an extra length to make up 30", wallpapers are 22" wide.
Once I was happy with the layout, and after much rubbing out, it was time to re-draw it onto the MDF, but due to the 3 coats of varnish the pencil just skidded over the surface so the top surface was undercoated. I may add the wallpaper was masking taped to the MDF so the holes produced from using my home made trammels on the curves was evident when the wallpaper was removed, they were still visible after the undercoat.
Exhibit A, along with home made trammels

I could now position the points and determine the location of the supports.
Exhibit B,C

Exhibit C shows a proposed curved turnout with a straight coming of a future extra smaller removable board with either a fiddle yard or industrial scene.
This is still 'work in progress' as I need some more points next month when I get my 'pocket money' it's actually my monthly model railway allowance, which seems to go far too soon, N gauge is a bottomless pit, and we all know about these I would imagine.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Re-planning Eston Old Town
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:04:44 pm »
A most sensible piece of planning and construction :thumbsup:
As for model railways being a 'money pit' - you got that right!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here