!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Newbie Grand plan  (Read 345 times)

Offline devo10

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Newbie Grand plan
« on: April 11, 2017, 04:19:28 pm »
Hi all, this is my first post and I am searching for some guidance.
     I was fascinated with the Noch pre-formed Baden Baden layout which to those who are not familiar, is a 175cm x 100cm multi level plastic layout with bridges and tunnels.
     however at around 1000 for the base alone I think it may be prudent to build my own and use the money saved to buy track and electrics. My DIY skills are fine, that's not the problem. It's the track plan. I have downloaded the 3 track plans from the Noch website and they are Minitrix, Arnold and Fleischmann (don't like the moulded on balast on F).
     The problems are, I can't seem to find a comparison table from Fleischmann to Peco for example. I have also noticed that the 3 plans are all slightly different (using different curved pieces) so there may not be any direct comparisons.
     Finally, as I am building it myself I can opt to make it a little wider and deeper and may find it prudent to go for the services of a professional track planner. 
     Are there any recommendations for someone who will take this Baden Baden plan, enlarge it say, to 2m x 1.2m and as I am new model railways, supply a parts list for all the track parts and DCC electrics.
Many Thanks
              Peter. 

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: Newbie Grand plan
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 06:43:44 pm »
Hi and  :welcomesign:

Not sure if the following link is of any help but AnyRail is a track planning system that I and a fair number of folk on the forum use to help plan their layouts.

There's a freebie try out version that is limited to the number of pieces but the full system isn't too expensive.

Take a look here and hope it gives you a starter if nothing else.

https://www.anyrail.com/examples_en.html

Scroll down a bit and you'll find downloadable plans that includes one of Baden built by an AnyRail user but  possibly not a member of this Forum.

Good luck and do keep us posted with what you decide to do.

There'll be loads of advice coming your way!

Dave G

Offline devo10

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 08:22:31 pm »
Thanks for the tip Dave,

Unfortunately that Baden layout is not the same as on the Noch website. It's 3.5m wide! and also uses Fleischmann track.
  Iv'e sent an enquiry email to "Model Rail Baseboards" in Ireland who do a planning, building and electrical service using a very professional looking Megapoints plug and play, Point Control System.
  Has anyone had any dealings with these people or that system?
In the meantime I'm going to download one of the free planners that has more than 50 pieces of track and give that a play.   

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:53:22 pm »
Hi Devo10, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I tend to use 'SCARM' which has a comprehensive track library and can also show your layout plan in 3D.

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 12:35:31 pm »
Hi Devo10,   :welcomesign:

Lots of us use SCARM as it is free and as NPN says, does a 3D view. There are lots of tutorial videos on YouTube. E.g.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 01:14:42 pm »
Hi Devo10, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I tend to use 'SCARM' which has a comprehensive track library and can also show your layout plan in 3D.
So can anyrail 6!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here