!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Settle Down  (Read 424 times)

Offline WoodlandsBoB

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Settle Down
« on: April 02, 2017, 09:42:28 am »
So
I've been lurking for a couple of years, yes the house move has taken that long and the renovations look set to take almost as long again. However I have been promised a proper space for a railway when everything else is done
My premise is that in about 1980, before rail franchises were thought of, and with BR threatening to close Ribblehead forever the Steamies and the Friends were given the chance to run a real railway and took a long term lease on the line from Shipley in West Yorks to Carlisle in Cumbria.
Shipley was chosen for ease of turning and also at that time there was still space available for a shed and staging facilities.
Nearly 40 years later and the and the Tourist/commuter/freight business are all going from strength to strength.
As you can tell this is a thinly designed plan for a rule one railway with opportunity to run mainline steam and green hst's, and everything in between, on the same tracks at the same time.
I've included a draft of my track plan. It has to change mainly because i am now using a different space for the railway so it has to flip. Also I would like to use less setrack points if possible.
At the moment dc with at least 4 controllers so that all the kids in the house can play.

In all honesty this scheme was devised in about 1980, hasn't N gauge changed since then?
Anyway feel free to comment on my plans, I'm not too precious about it and as I said it has to flip at the very least

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Settle Down
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 10:06:11 am »
I'm no planning guru, but I think it looks great!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:44:49 am »
Looks like fun!   You appear to be creating a wye and a reverse-loop at the brewery, so be careful about double-isolation and polarity switching on the section of track or at least the red part of the wye or where light-blue re-joins yellow.

[edit]

Looking again, I see the whole light blue track also forms a reverse-loop where it re-joins yellow at the middle at "big houses...", so that's another section that will need isolating and a polarity reversing switch.

[/edit]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:59:56 am by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 10:47:30 am »
A few comments from me, if you don't mind:-

I don't like set track points and neither will some of your locos. I also don't like set track unless it is used to create curves and is hidden from sight. However, I also do not mix code 80 and code 55. As set track is code 80 I really would try and push you in the direction of code 55 flexitrack/electrofrog small points. The extra little trouble with wiring would be worth the better running and looks of the trackwork.

Some of the curves look very tight to me, particularly the 3rd line in from the left hand side and the right hand curves after the lines through the station. Please try and avoid anything less than radius 2.

If you are having any inclines then anything less than 1:40 or 2˝% is likely to cause problems - 1:50 would be much better.

Can you reach all areas of the layout? Of particular concern to me is the track in the top right hand corner in the tunnel under the church as it looks as if the nearest access point is the angle created by the horizontal board and the vertical one. That well know law will cause a derailment there!

As for modelling the S & C - what's not to like? :thumbsup:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 11:07:43 am »
Agree with a lot of what you're saying @newportnobby , however we don't yet know @WoodlandsBoB 's level of experience with regard to flexible track laying and electrofrog points etc., it may be they're more comfortable with sectional track, or may just be using sectional track was the easiest approach in the track planning software.

Unfortunately I've seen beginners struggle and end up disappointed with badly laid/running flexi-track, requiring ripping up and starting again.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 11:38:13 am »
I'm with you on that but also consider how many beginners have used set track only to find small locos stall on the points while bigger ones derail? The disappointment would be the same but to a more or less degree. The issue is this kind of problem would only go away by replacing the set track, whereas a small amount of practice and advice on laying flexitrack would prevent such a problem.
Each to their own, of course, dependent on skills.

Offline broadsword

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 11:39:27 am »
As a great admirer of the S&C look forward to seeing the layout develop,
I've stayed at the inn there (bedroom looking towards the viaduct)
and walked over Blea Mooor to Dent, one of the finest parts of
the country.

Offline Kaian

• N Gauge Society Number: 26669
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 01:50:47 pm »
That would be fun, especially running with 4 kids (do you count as 2?).

I would take the next step (if unsure about Flexi-track) to see what set-track might add a bit of a wiggle into the long straights for a bit of visual interest when playing entertaining.
Craig

Offline Steve.T

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23237
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 04:08:47 pm »
Looking forward to watching this one develop.
I live right in the middle of this setting.
I do however think you should heed newportnobby if you can possibly accommodate his suggestions.

Good luck which ever approach you take  :thumbsup:

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Offline WoodlandsBoB

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 09:16:23 pm »
Wow so many responses in such a short time. Thank you guys.
I will try to answer most queries
Herzel: how big? that plan is 3.5m x 1.5m the long arm is .65 wide the short arm is 1.0m wide ... However I have just measured the probable new space (hence the flip) at 3.5m x 2.5m (Thank you my love).
Steve T: From our new  house I have been able to hear Flying Scotsmans Whistle all afternoon, no longer live close enough to smell the smoke though.
Kaian: I'm one of the kids yes A wiggle in the walk could be a good thing.
Broadsword: the three peaks area is one of my favorite places. Can no longer hillwalk I'm afraid but there are some good driving roads up there
nobby and ntpntp: Thank you that's the sort of thing I was looking for. Thirty years ago I would have said I was passable at modelling but quite a lot has changed now I'm coming back to the hobby. The short arm of the plan is a table top board I knocked together using 30 year old flexy and set track points that must have covered about a thousand miles packed in a box, also have a lima deltic, what a surprise putting it next to farishes prototype birthday pressie.
The wye at Shipleyish station is intentional and prototypical although I don't have space still to model the whole thing. The second reverse I hadn't spotted till you pointed it out. I have experience in electronic engineering so understand how to alter polarity etc.
Nptnpt you are partly correct that I'm still learning planning software so there is a mix of 55 and 80. My intention is just to use 55 with as much flexy as possible, at least laying that hasn't changed that much. But also with that plan I was going to be a little limited on space (trying to fit a bench, railway and walkway into 1.8m Look at me working in M. flaming modern kitchens) I'm thinking that I may be able to widen the long arm slightly in its new position so that may make using electrofrog points more possible.
Nobby of course you are right about the law of derailment I shall have to move my tunnel somewhere more accessible. I am hoping to incline up to little ribblehead whilst the branch line runs through a tunnel, what sort of linear length do I need to raise up to clear another line?
sorry about the long post and one last thing, don't hold your breath on this one I wont be starting till late summer at the earliest but I would like a definite plan fairly soon
Thanks again to all who responded
BoB

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 09:22:44 pm »
what sort of linear length do I need to raise up to clear another line?

I found all my steamers and diseasels will pass under what passes for 2" timber these days (it's actually 44mm) but should you have anything with a pantograph you'd need a little extra.

Offline WoodlandsBoB

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 09:31:50 pm »
Thank you.
No pantographs, the Steamies didn't like them and the Friends didn't want the view spoiling!

So between 1.7m and 2.2m linear up then down again. WoW didnt think I would need quite so much

BoB

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 10:02:06 pm »
If you're only running short trains you may get away with a sharper incline.
An old trick, if you can manage it, is to lower one track by an inch and raise the track going over it by an inch, thus creating the necessary passing place without a huge lead in.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything