!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My old plan  (Read 698 times)

Offline Old Bob One

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My old plan
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 08:25:56 pm »
So roughly how high could Tusmore station be from the Widford level ? I can see this plan ending up in the bin.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:26:46 pm by Old Bob One »

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 09:08:33 pm »
As there has been no interest it looks like I am on my own. Such is life. :confused2:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 09:18:20 pm »
As there has been no interest it looks like I am on my own. Such is life. :confused2:

Sorry, Bob. I meant to reply then totally forgot. :-[
My concern is the best part of the line from Widford to Tusmore station is on the curve and I've never considered curved gradients to be a good idea (although, of course, they existed on the prototype) as they place extra strain on locos. It would certainly help if you could show the plan 'uncoiled' so we have a better idea of the space involved, if that's possible.

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 09:08:46 pm »
Sorry for taking so long to answer been busy. We went to see how Pendon was doing as it is only a half hours drive.They have done a lot since the last visit. After looking at the track plan of Madder Valley I came up with the new plan. But it still needs work.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 09:35:33 am »
I like that :thumbsup:
Would I be correct in assuming the line north of the point with the pink curve will be on a gradient up to the terminus at the right hand side? If so, there looks ample room for a graduation your locos will manage.

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 05:34:24 pm »
Yes your right newportnobby As in Madder Valley. I am pondering as to what purpose the branch line was built for. I may even build a small harbour in the bottom left corner like Madder Valley or something else which needs to be decided. Plus how the hell am I going to build the base boards as they have to be free standing as I live in rented property and I doubt if they would like a lot of holes in there walls lol. 

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 08:38:53 pm »
Personally I think the branch line should not contain a station as it's one too many really :hmmm:
By all means have the line but make it a rural industry such as maybe a small timber yard set in  woodland surroundings. The curve leading into it will, of necessity, be quite a small radius so small locos would be OK with it.

Divide the area up into small boards (max 4ft x 2ft) and join them together using pattern makers dowels/toggle clips or coachbolts, dependent on how permanent the layout will be. Such items are available from this place which I, and others, have used and who give very good service.........
http://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk

If you feel the baseboards may need to be built for you, others on the forum can advise.

As you need them to be freestanding, I'd suggest the use of trestles and, as I have frequent back problems, I bought 3 height adjustable ones for my end to end layout...............
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/d10/Work+Benches+%26+Trestles/sd120/Draper+Adjustable+Metal+Trestle/p83483

You may be able to find cheaper alternatives but probably not as good quality.
Those Draper ones come as flat pack and require assembly by the way!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything