!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My old plan  (Read 699 times)

Offline Old Bob One

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
My old plan
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:32:01 pm »
Hi this is my old 009 track plan. But now I am thinking to converting it to a n gauge branch line railway. It will mean shorter passing places and more room for change. Any Ideas welcome.

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
Re: My old plan
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:50:34 pm »
I know it looks different but if you can imagine it uncurled and in a straight line it will give you an idea of what I am trying to do in a small space. The quarry is Oxfordshire ironstone.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:12:01 pm »
Keep the running lines as curved as possible and avoid tracks running parallel to baseboards edges.
Here's something which may give you some idea for your quarry.................

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36131.msg435941#msg435941

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:53:54 pm »
Thanks for that Newportnobby. Ironstone is usually loaded straight from the ground onto trucks and sent straight to the furnaces. The story I made up for the narrow gauge layout( soon to become standard gauge ) is as follows.
                                        The Tilgarsley & Widford Railway.
After finding the biggest seam of Ironstone in Southern England which was reputed to last for at least 40 years if not more the Oxfordshire Ironstone Company decided the best long term method of taking the ironstone to the furnaces was to build a railway from the quarry to the river/ mainline (not sure which yet). After much negotiations with the Oxfordshire Council of the time and land owners an agreement was made that the OIC could build there railway only if they built a station at Tilgarsley, Tunsmore and Widford so that there could be a passenger and goods service at said stations. So the TWR was born.
                                                    Full trucks would come down from the quarry to Tilgarsley to be stored until a full train could be made up and the empties could be taken back to the quarry. From there they will be taken to the Widford sidings ready for shipment to the furnaces.
The 5ft length is against wall which will be partly hidden. The 4ft and the 3ft 6inch lengths are also against walls as the layout will be (I hope) built in an alcove. As the layout was intended for 009 so am I right in thinking that the trains and carriages/trucks will be shorter so that the passing points/ need not be so long leaving more room for scenery as I was hoping to build a few buildings at all 3 stations. Also I am not sure if it would be best to have a double track layout where needed or leave it as it is. Your great pool of knowledge would be grateful.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:54:09 pm by Old Bob One »

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:06:29 pm »
That's a good back story (although what the International Olympic Committee are getting involved for I don't know ;)). There are many considerations you can utilise to limit train sizes to what you want, such as:-

The haulage power of your proposed locos
The weight of each wagon when full which obviously has a bearing on the above.
The actual landscape trains will pass through e.g. are there bridges with weight limits to cross?
Will there be any gradients affecting haulage/braking performance?

What sort of wagons and loco(s) are you thinking of using please?

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:50:15 pm »
Oops I  don't think that the IOC would be very helpful. Story changed.  :doh: The original Oxfordshire Ironstone Railway used standard gauge 0-6-0T and 0-6-0ST locomotives built by Hunslet and 0-4-0ST's built by Hudswell Clarke. This will give a good indication about ironstone mining. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxfordshire_Ironstone_Railway  and http://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/the%20colonels%20railways/edge%20hill%20light%20railway/index.html  http://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/the%20colonels%20railways/edge%20hill%20light%20railway/edge%20hill%20light%20railway%20photo%20gallery.html   And it will be set in the 20s to 30s era in the Oxfordshire countryside so it will not be very hilly. As for the rest I am not sure yet.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:53:34 pm by Old Bob One »

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 04:07:52 pm »
As a transition era modeller myself with plenty of stock available I don't envy you trying to source stock for the 20s/30s, Bob. :worried:
I hope you are good at scratchbuilding!

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 06:51:58 pm »
The off the shelf trains I have found so far are LMS Fowler Class 35 Jinty built 1924-1931, GWR 6400 Class 1932-1950, Wordsel J72 0-6-0 tank 1898-1951, GWR 5700 series 1929-1950, LSWR M7 class 1897-1911, or if earlier the LB& SR A1 class 1872-1880. So there is a bit of choice around that era. 

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 01:50:18 pm »
It looks like its going to be a DCC layout as I like what I have seen about them. Much to my surprise all of the trains I have listed are either DCC fitted, DCC ready or DCC compatible. except one the LB& SCR A1 Class which I was not thinking of getting anyway. Research is so much fun lol.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 04:49:45 pm »
Would the recently announced Farish LBSC C class not fit your plans?

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 05:56:28 pm »
They do look nice. Still messing about with the plan as yet then it will be working out the baseboards ,what track to use, Wiring, scenery and then what trains/trucks to get. This model railway lark is as bad as fly fishing lol.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 06:53:48 pm »
Yes ithe hobby is very addictive but unless your layout is in a shed without heating you wont catch a cold like you would fishing,and you will have something to show for your time spent with this hobby not just one that got away
Bob Tidbury

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 02:20:10 pm »
Well I have been fly fishing for well over 30 years and I admit that there were a few that got away but not many. As for the layout it will I hope be in a corner of our bedroom. It must be addictive as I have just received my N Gauge Society membership card, handbook and journal. Now back to the research lol.

Offline Old Bob One

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 04:51:32 pm »
Well after tweaking the plan for a bit I am wondering about base boards. So the first question is open or closed ? The next one is as the line comes from Widford towards Tusmore there will be an incline. I am wondering how much I can get away with an 0-6-0 train. There will be (I hope) be three levels. Widford on the lowest then Tusmore and Tilgarsley then Tusmore quarry. Also instead where the carriage and loco sheds are have a turn table and a couple of sheds. As I am new to this game your advise will be much appreciated.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 08:05:11 pm »
If at all possible do not go any steeper than 1:40 or 2%, I'd suggest.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here