!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Blank Canvas, Oops not anymore  (Read 955 times)

Offline Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Blank Canvas
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 12:56:59 pm »
Sincere apologies, Still a newbie to this, I'm not 100% sure exactly, I would be very appreciative of an example

Thank you  :beers:

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 12:58:19 pm »
Can I ask what type of track you are considering using?

I have a memory like a fish but using ST-5 & 6's with flexi track. Code 80 is it? :doh:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 01:02:28 pm »
Yep - set track is code 80.
I realise you are using the ST-5/6 to save space but I worry your pannier might stall on the plastic frogs. 
The other locos should be OK :hmmm:

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:02 pm »
I think the ST-5/6's would be best for space but I'm not sure how much I'll use the pannier to be honest. It was a gift and I should have stated it's the only loco that is DC rest are DCC apologies but a good shout I didn't even think  :doh:

A little of topic but I have an NCE Cab Controller not sure it does point control or not but I really like the push, Pull method on Llanrumney Sidings I like the physical interaction with the layout  :beers:

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 05:11:19 pm »
I think a single road engine shed plus a single line parcels siding perhaps?
Looks ok to me except trains running out of the station possibly won't disappear completely into the fiddle yard area.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 05:54:05 pm »
I agree I am worried, I might do a little amendment tonight and try straighten and possibly fit another point under the back scene giving more empty sidings under the town scene to the right as it does seem a waste of space :beers:

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 11:21:31 pm »
Guessing I need to purchase the licence for more items to add but hopefully the idea is there  :beers:

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 09:38:10 am »
The idea is there but, and I'm sorry, I don't think it will work as it stands.
There just isn't the room in the sidings off the curved point to create a headshunt to get to the new sidings on the right without shortening everything else on the right hand side by moving the whole scenic section to the right.

Offline Nik96

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 01:12:08 pm »
Removing the point for you Sidings/engine shed and extending the fiddle yard is possibly you're only hope of making this work.
Using the platforms and the head shunt on scene you could make an inglenook style layout and still have the head shunt to the goods shed... ;)

One thing for layout planning (as a rule of thumb) is the fiddle yard lengths must be longer than any siding on the layout. Meaning any siding can be emptied off scene.
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 11:16:10 pm »
How about if I sharpened the main curve which would give a longer first sidings after the tunnel mouth and used possibly a smaller point?

I'll definatley remember the rule @Nik96 very much solid advice :)

@newportnobby I believe I used your sidings guide to give the correct 'flow' of track just need the entrance correct :beers:

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 04:24:17 am »

@newportnobby I believe I used your sidings guide to give the correct 'flow' of track just need the entrance correct :beers:

I can see nothing wrong with the flow of track but feel it could be fitted better in the space available. This weekend is a bit frantic (domestic duties, Mothers Day, F1, MotoGP blah blah) but I'll try to put my thinking brain cell in and come up with a plan.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 04:25:59 pm »
See what you think of this, although there are things I'm not altogether happy with:-

(a) Using set track points - sadly needs must and there is nothing smaller I'm aware of.
(b) Too many straight lines, but introducing curves will take up valuable space
(c) Trains entering from the left will go into sidings/storage roads and locos will be buffer locked, but the same applies to your original. Putting in release points would again take up space.
(d) The measurement (using Hattons sizes for the track pieces) from far left straight through to far right is 38", so if you want a terminus end to your platforms you will have to reduce the track length a little.
(e) I have no idea whether this will fit width wise into 17" as I'm just not clever enough to work that out. If you use the layout and transfer it to Anyrail maybe that can tell you :dunce:
(f) Forgive my rubbish skills with SCARM and Paint please............

Offline Nik96

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 11:26:56 pm »
How about if I sharpened the main curve which would give a longer first sidings after the tunnel mouth and used possibly a smaller point?

In all honesty you'll gain single millimeters when you need tens if not hundreds to make this plan work.

Looking at your latest plan, not Newports, you're station can all have one of those short straights removed. You may struggle to get a two car DMU in them though, it'll be approximately four of those straights long. Give or take each coach are equal to two of those (another rule of thumb).
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

Offline Drakken

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 12:11:10 am »
@newportnobby Seriously thank you so much for taking the time to amend the layout, I can't thank you enough for taking the time out of your day to do this. It has given me more options and I think I'll be taking some of the change's you've made and try revision three.

@Nik96 Thank you for the advice you've given it has been invaluable.

If we ever meet at an Exhibition I owe you a drink or two :beers:

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 09:30:42 am »
@Drakken

You're most welcome, although I still think you will struggle for space and be very limited train length wise :uneasy:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything