!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wood for baseboard  (Read 1595 times)

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wood for baseboard
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2017, 11:32:38 am »
I'm definitely in favour of open frame where possible. Quoting myself from the 4th post on this thread...

[9mm ply "box" and occasional cross bracing to form the basic module, then] 9mm ply used horizontally on top of the cross-bracing to support the track and structures and roads etc., but leaving as much as possible open framed to allow for scenery to drop below the track datum.  Sides and front of the box then cut away to create scenic contours.

I feel it gives a much more realistic scenic look with the railway running through rather than on top of the land.

Mind you, the latest modules I'm building have turned out to be very much flat-topped simply as they're for a loco depot with lots of track, a turntable and a traverser all crammed into the space.  Also not helped that they're modules using a standard end plate to interface with others, and said end-plate has a simple horizontal top edge which I'm stuck with.   It's bugging me at the moment that it's all so flat, so I will at the very least try and cut some contour into the front edge in between the ends, and maybe build up the ground just a little at the rear.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Steve.T

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23237
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2017, 11:39:13 am »
My apologies to ntpntpntp, I obviously did not read all the posts too well and missed that.

I certainly would agree the open frame method allows much more scope with scenery below and above track level and I really would like to have a go on my next venture. I think in a way though you need to be sure of where you are going with the layout from the start and a fair bit more planning is required to get it right.

Maybe not ideal for a first timer ??  Like I was.

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2017, 09:11:56 am »
Unless I've missed it no one has mentioned foam construction for the baseboard. That's not expanded polystyrene that dissolves into a snow blizzard of white bubbles as you cut it, but Extruded polystyrene, a much denser material. It can still be cut with a saw or knife.
 50mm foam Framed up with thin ply maybe 1/4 inch (6mm) it makes a good base especially glued up with further layers to make the scenery.

Also I note the comments of the problems for soldering / working under baseboards, this is why on my own baseboards the backscene is built in as part of the baseboard. All the wiring such as droppers will be taken to the back of the back scene and all the connections will be there. Point motors will also be mounted there, with wire in tube to the points.

I've had enough of lying under baseboards!!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2017, 09:24:18 am »
There are many posts on this forum about foam baseboards  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31