!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New Layout  (Read 638 times)

Offline funnysunny365

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • SeunghoYT
    • Awards
New Layout
« on: February 06, 2017, 08:11:05 am »
Hello.
I am moving, so I need to plan a new layout for British n gauge, is is better to make a circular route, or just make a route that has terminuses at the end?
HO is too big, and Z is too small.

-funnysunny365

Offline Delfin

• N Gauge Society Number: 3141
    • Worcester N Gauge
    • Awards
Re: New Layout
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 08:16:38 am »
Real railways don't run in circles, unless you are modelling something from the local park.  So that is your answer.

The only use I can think of for a circular layout is for testing and running in of locomotives.  A circle or oval of Kato unitrack is the best way of achieving that IMHO.  It can be set up and taken down as required.

Good luck with your new layout.  :)

Delfin

Offline funnysunny365

• YouTube
    • SeunghoYT
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 08:21:28 am »
Thanks! Btw I like push-pull trains

-funnysunny365

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 08:24:56 am »
Real railways don't usually end up with termini less than 0.25 miles from each other!

It depends entirely on what you want OP. You can make either realistic with scenic breaks and what not. There's no right answer.

Offline funnysunny365

• YouTube
    • SeunghoYT
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 08:30:22 am »
Real railways don't usually end up with termini less than 0.25 miles from each other!

It depends entirely on what you want OP. You can make either realistic with scenic breaks and what not. There's no right answer.
Like a branchlike-style? Sounds interesting!

-funnysunny365

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 08:44:14 am »
If you can give us some idea of the space you have available, forum members can probably suggest plans.

Welcome to the NGF!   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 09:26:15 am »

Like a branchlike-style? Sounds interesting!

Whatever you want really. I'd suggest the most realistic layouts either have a terminus at one end and continue 'off scene' at the other, or are a 'roundy roundy' but again have two scenic breaks such that you have a portion hidden, enabling you to store trains out of sight.

That depends on so many factors though. If you want to run long trains and just watch them go by then a terminus is a daft idea. If you want do lots of shunting then a busy 4-track mainline with no sidings is a waste.

You don't have to strive for realism either, so if you want a quarter mile shuttle between two termini, or a circle of track then go nuts.

As NN Bealman (sorry!) suggested, letting us know what space you have to play with, your chosen era and what you want out of it would help.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:28:44 pm by njee20 »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 12:20:51 pm »

As NN suggested, letting us know what space you have to play with, your chosen era and what you want out of it would help.

Not me :no: It was Bealman.
But I do agree until we know what space is available we can't advise i.e. 48" x 15" = end to end layout whereas anything over, say, 30" deep has potential for a layout with oval(s)
Over to the OP

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 12:31:28 pm »
So it was! That'll teach me to hurriedly reply!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 12:41:09 pm »

I just don't want to be blamed for anything he posts :laugh:

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 01:06:49 pm »
Real railways don't run in circles, unless you are modelling something from the local park.  So that is your answer.

I can think of a few full-scale ones which do   :hmmm:

The only use I can think of for a circular layout is for testing and running in of locomotives.  A circle or oval of Kato unitrack is the best way of achieving that IMHO.  It can be set up and taken down as required.

A circular (or more likely oval, which is what I guess the OP means) is a very common layout form, track at either end can disappear into a fiddleyard via breaks in the scenery to give the impression trains are going to/from somewhere, and has the additional advantage you can watch them going round and round if you're so inclined.
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 08:39:31 pm »

I just don't want to be blamed for anything he posts :laugh:

Watch it  :P
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 09:13:03 am »
Give us an idea of what your requirements are and I am sure people will be only too happy to suggest ideas and layout plans. Can you tell us the following:

1) What space you have available (you don't have to fill all of it but most of us do ;) ).
2) What period and area you are looking to model (or are you looking to create an "anything goes" layout).
3) What sort of operations appeal to you? Do you enjoy intensive shunting or do you like sitting back and watching trains run through a lanscape? Do you like freight, passengers or a little of both?
4) Anything else? Some people have certain features they want to include (I like milk traffic so I always try to find a way to squeeze in a dairy or bottling plant).

:NGaugersRule:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 08:10:22 pm »
What is the best type of model railway well "How long is a piece of String", some people are happy to build oval, dogbone or circular tracks usually people that prefer that type like to sit and watch trains while having a beer or a coffee, there is still plenty of scope for shunting with sidings protruding into the circle, on the other side some people build end to end layouts and have a ball shunting trains which can provide many hours of fun, there is no one size suits all the important thing being that the modeller has fun building and running the layout.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything