!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GWR themed terminus and shunt layout  (Read 9144 times)

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
Re: GWR themed terminus and shunt layout
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2016, 02:32:44 pm »
@MrDobilina  this is what users see :-
  :doh:

Offline MrDobilina

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2016, 02:38:22 pm »
@MrDobilina  this is what users see :-
  :doh:

woa ok that's not what I see at all, should be fixed now

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2016, 08:26:23 pm »
I also could see everything without any problems.

Thanks for the three-way point diagrams; the best I've seen.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2016, 10:13:29 pm »
Some success! I figured out the wiring in the real world for the 3 way point and I now have it working!

I did slightly melt a couple sleepers trying to get it all to fit but lets not dwell on that ;) I managed to re melt and shape them so they are barely noticeable!

Tomorrow I will take a final look at putting an isolator switch on some rails  in the goods yard and if I cant get that to work I will have to settle for just setting the points against the siding and work around it that way.

I have been monstrously stupid however. The layout is resting on top of a ladder which can lock into an n shape, so far all the cables have been put between the baseboard and ladder, with the exception of the negative feed to feed 1. This has accidentally been put through rather than over the ladder, meaning currently the layout is somewhat soldered to the ladder >.< tiny fix to do but hey.

Defintily a positive day in that trains run successfully all around the track. There are some worry places but im hoping track pinning and gluing will help fix this.

next step: go around the layout and pin down the rails then do a mock up section on some spare wood and practice ballast.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2016, 09:38:39 am »
Huzzah!
Trains running everywhere - success :claphappy:

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2016, 08:30:20 pm »
Well done :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2016, 08:43:09 pm »
site is actually dutch. sorry that I noticed this treat too late otherwise i could have been a sort of help.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2016, 08:43:29 pm »
I didn't get around to trying the isolators again but I did fix the feed wire that had been damaged.

My class totnes castle and my 5mt both appear to need maintainance as they have issues everywhere. But my 66 is fine!

All brand new :/ somewhat disappointed.

Tomorrow will be track pinning followed by ballast testing on some spare wood

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2016, 06:00:56 pm »
Some progress today!

All the track is pinned down and straightened where it needed straightening.

I managed to break one of the viaduct retaining walls and it broke in half. I'm using this to make a cracked effect which is rather natural haha.

I've spent half the day playing with insulation board to make the first of the hills. The back hill will need to leave room for the vesta controller I've ordered. That area is seen in picutue 6 marked in light grey hatch under the drill. The dark brown hatch is the signal box. I'll make a surround for the controller out of thin ply and holes for the power feeds and then surround that with foam insulation board like a rock face.

In the penultimate picture you can see where the platform will go in the hatched area. Also a potential refuel point on the loop track has been outlined.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:14:45 pm by MrDobilina »

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2016, 08:03:37 pm »
I'm so dizzy I feel  :sick2:

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2016, 11:19:56 pm »
I'm so dizzy I feel  :sick2:

I didn't realise it was that bad! Sorry!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:22:24 pm by MrDobilina »

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2016, 10:12:34 am »
I was referring to the orientation of your pics, as sadly this forum does that if they are from an iPad I believe :-\

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2016, 10:21:04 am »
I was referring to the orientation of your pics, as sadly this forum does that if they are from an iPad I believe :-\

That's odd, they were right way up when I posted them, but that was from my phone.  :'(

opening them in a new tab rather than just looking at the previews shows them in the correct orientation

EDIT: I've reuploaded the affected images and they should appear fine now
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:15:31 pm by MrDobilina »

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2016, 03:39:38 pm »
Hey guys,

A bit of an update and hopefully some pictures that don't look odd!

I've added legs to the main board! I bought some pretty cheap legs that will fold up so that I can transport it easier.
I need to figure out a way of adding temporary battening between the legs as it is a little wobbly (but no risk of falling over!).

The Morley controller came through and has been installed. The only downside is that the plug appears to be a vacuum formed one which prevents alteration or temporary removal. So to fit it through the base board I cut a fairly large hole for it to fit through.

The Controller doesn't have fans and after leaving it on for 2-3 hours yesterday it didn't get warm at all. Even when encased temporarily in insulation board it had no temperature variance. So that's a plus.

The other downside to the controller is that the hand held units plug into the top, but the cable doesn't bend well meaning that to hide them in the little cage area, the top of the box will have to be quite high, above the bridge scene! This somewhat throws off the look of the scene I feel with a very large hillside.

Most areas on the track are working fine, a couple problem areas have been fixed up a bit with some light filing to ease the transition between insulated rails. One particularly bad problem area is the main platform straight line that goes through the threeway point.
The insulated joiner jumped off meaning that the rail is a little loose.
I've been seriously considering removing the threeway point and getting a new one in after accidentally melting some of the sleepers and having such trouble with the missing connection wires.doing so would destroy the point but at this stage it would be better to loose a point and have a nicely flowing scene than to be stuck with an area that constantly has issues.
The other issue that remains with that point is that the right point on the threeway point still doesnt 'snap' into place like all the others and a fast train going through it will cause the point to switch back to straight causing a derailment.

I have been fixing up the insulated sections where a train can be left whilst another pulls the carriages off of it with the buttons on the control panel. These now work fine and Im happy with how that is turning out. I didnt put one on the top platform after remembering that just setting the points against it will insulate it from the main feed.

All in all I think it's going fairly well. There are often times where just touching a train down very gently will fix a random stall, there are no persistent places for stalling just if going slow sometimes either train will just stop for no apparent reason. Touching it again will get it moving again.

Well this was supposed to be short but I guess I've rambled on a lot.

Next steps for the layout I think will be, replace the threeway point, buy cable tacks to hold the dangling cables to the base of the board, buy some thin ply to create a box around the controller and to edge the hills along the front, and to finally buy a slightly thicker piece of ply for the traverser - I picked up a couple of cheap full extension drawer runners which are very smooth action which Ill use to move the traverser back and forth.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2016, 03:54:36 pm »
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you have a few teething problems but you're getting there :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here