!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GWR themed terminus and shunt layout  (Read 9142 times)

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
    • Awards
Re: GWR themed terminus and shunt layout
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 10:42:31 pm »
So the SPDT first: the middle pin is connected to either of the outer pins, or none, depending on the toggle position. Hence single pole, double throw. On a DC layout with two controllers, one might connect the track to the centre pin, and a different controller to each of the others, so that the section would be either off, or controlled by either of the controllers.

The green illuminated switch has probably got two pins for the switch and two pins to apply power for the illumination. A few tests with a multimeter should show which is which. Just checked, and yep, two terminals are for the 3V LED

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/illuminated-green-locking-push-switch-n05ar
Tony

'Things are not done by those who count the cost of every thought or deed.'

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 10:49:58 pm »
You seem to have done OK with the tins :D
Second photo first. As the packet says this is an ON-OFF-ON switch, not an ON-OFF. The feed to the switch is the centre terminal and as you are using it as an on-off switch you can use either of the outer terminals. The other switch I'm not too sure about, I've never used a switch like this. If you have a multimeter you can check the terminals for a circuit. If you haven't got a meter, get one as they are very useful, more so when you start wiring up the layout. I was beaten. Different words, same answer :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 12:44:12 am »

The green illuminated switch has probably got two pins for the switch and two pins to apply power for the illumination. A few tests with a multimeter should show which is which. Just checked, and yep, two terminals are for the 3V LED

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/illuminated-green-locking-push-switch-n05ar

So with the green one do I wire both the two positives together and the two negatives together?

the middle pin is connected to either of the outer pins, or none, depending on the toggle position.

Oh man my awake brain now realises how dumb I am! That is indeed way more sensible, no idea why I couldn't get that last night! Thank you :beers:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:23:17 am by MrDobilina »

Offline Yet_Another

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 12:39:09 pm »

So with the green one do I wire both the two positives together and the two negatives together?

I've just read back, and I see that you are going to use these for isolated sections. In that case, you'll have track voltage across a 3V LED, which would be bad.

You could put a resistor between the power & LED pins, which would protect the LED, but you're going to have the problem that the brightness will vary as you turn the power up & down.

I guess you wanted the light on when the power is on, and off when the power is off?
Tony

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 01:01:48 pm »

I've just read back, and I see that you are going to use these for isolated sections. In that case, you'll have track voltage across a 3V LED, which would be bad.

You could put a resistor between the power & LED pins, which would protect the LED, but you're going to have the problem that the brightness will vary as you turn the power up & down.

I guess you wanted the light on when the power is on, and off when the power is off?

Yeah that's exactly what I was going for, I really didnt consider the variable power >.<

It would still work without the light for now if I attached the cables to the other two prongs and just had it power the section though yes?

Offline Yet_Another

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 01:06:45 pm »
Yes, the actual switch bit will be fine. I think someone suggested double pole switches (DPST or DPDT) & separate LEDs so you can switch the power to the LED in parallel to the track power, and have a separate supply for all the illumination, if that makes sense.
Tony

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 02:19:49 pm »
Yes, the actual switch bit will be fine. I think someone suggested double pole switches (DPST or DPDT) & separate LEDs so you can switch the power to the LED in parallel to the track power, and have a separate supply for all the illumination, if that makes sense.

Hm I feel the lights from the switches can wait until I have a dedicated accessories out from the vesta controller, same with point motors and scenic lighting.

So list of things I'd like to get done this week:-

• Lay an extra layer of cork under the track
  • Lay track on top of cork and pin the few curved sections in place
  • Solder feeds and isolators to the track
  • Get a multimeter and some wire connectors and safely connect everything up
  • Play with Operate a train around all sections of track
  • Send back tunnel as it doesn't come close to matching the surrounding retaining wall elements that I prefer

I'm going to start looking into magnetic release dapol couplings. I have a lot of tiny super magnetic discs which should fit between sleepers or in the cork layer.
as long as the track works and I can isolate sections that's the first step

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 10:58:04 pm »
This evening I took the pots off the board to check the cork had taken to it. It mostly has although the edges do have areas where it's not stuck.
Trying to sort those out with more glue and weights.

I've put an extra layer under just the track sections and glued that down too. Laid the track on top with wood on top of that and more tins to try and flatten it all down a bit. Think there will be a couple problem areas but I'll see how they are tomorrow evening with a few pictures.

After that's checked then I'll drill small holes for the feed wires and give them a go individually
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:46:10 am by MrDobilina »

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 10:22:19 pm »
This evening I've drilled holes for feeds and matched up different colours depending on which feed it is. Yellow for left green for middle and blue for right. Black for all negative feeds.

I soldered these all in place with some mixed results!

The feed to the main platform worked for 2 minutes and the 66 ran over it several times with no issues. Then suddenly nothing. One of the feeds had detached so I resolve red it but still nothing.

Might need to redo those wires?

The goods yard power works just fine! And the 66 ran over them very nicely. Although I feel this is the weakest area at the moment as the track is not flush level and raises up at the ends. Some track pins (when I find where I left them) should sort that out.

The three way point feed is the most curious. Running into the point works fine. But getting out it always stalls. No idea why as I can't see a connection issue.

Some pictures of progress. It's a little messy tbh but most of it will be covered up anyway

post images

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2016, 08:10:41 am »
Glad to hear things are (sort of) going to plan :thumbsup:

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2016, 10:37:15 pm »
Spent some time this evening and tidied up the wiring a lot.

Feeds all soldered in and working. Three way still not working but both goods and long platform work fine.

Attached video of playing with a 66 in the goods yard.

different colour wires based on feed colour.

The switches are temporary in a bit of cardboard until I can buy something better.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2016, 10:50:34 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks for sharing, a novice like my-self is learning with you
 :thankyousign:
regards Derek.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2016, 12:25:09 pm »
:hellosign: Thanks for sharing, a novice like my-self is learning with you
 :thankyousign:
regards Derek.

Most welcome! I am just a bumbling fool here so I'm sure I'm doing a lot wrong!

On that note I've just figured out why the 3 way isnt working. There are meant to be two little wires that come out of it that are meant to be powered separately.

These are missing on mine and so I need to wire power to the gaps underneath directly.

This will require two SPDT switches to change the polarity of the power given to the two frogs. Seep point motors will be useful here however I can't afford those right now so the SPDT will have to suffice.

I found these images very useful on a german (I think) website:

So supplying Positive to both will be suitable to turn right as coming from the toe end.
Negative to both will turn left.
Negative to the first and Positive to the second as coming from the toe end is for straight on.

(This is because my three way point is pointing the opposite direction with positive to the top rail feed and negative to the bottom rail feed)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:38:00 pm by MrDobilina »

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2016, 01:59:54 pm »
The rough translation of the above Junk suggests you shouldnt be linking to them from another website @MrDobilina

:goggleeyes: :o :o :D :D :D :D

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 02:10:38 pm »
The rough translation of the above Junk suggests you shouldnt be linking to them from another website @MrDobilina

:goggleeyes: :o :o :D :D :D :D

Eh? Little confused here?

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything