!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GWR themed terminus and shunt layout  (Read 9145 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
Re: GWR themed terminus and shunt layout
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 10:04:01 pm »
You can run as many feeds as you like from one controller, remembering to maintain polarity to the track, ie. the red cable goes to the left hand track, the black to the other, for example. Putting on/off switches in line to the sidings means that you can isolate the siding without depending on the setting of the point. The link I gave you explains better than I have.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 09:59:42 am »
You can run as many feeds as you like from one controller, remembering to maintain polarity to the track, ie. the red cable goes to the left hand track, the black to the other, for example. Putting on/off switches in line to the sidings means that you can isolate the siding without depending on the setting of the point. The link I gave you explains better than I have.

Thanks!

I'm thinking of using isolating switches one some if not all the sidings / platform for a little extra manoeuvrability.

The problem I have is that I have this controller:-

And both cables are red haha >.<

I could use those as the 'bus' and have a red and black come off of those to the rails, and then off of those have the isolating switches. that would work wouldn't it?

Been thinking about a way to control the points and isolators.

Came up with this concept:

Big green dots are isolating switches http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Metal-Angel-Eye-LED-Car-illuminated-Latching-Type-16mm-Push-Button-Switch-/152003307130
big blue dots are power feed switches
green arrows are dual aspect LED's http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/3mm-bi-colour-led-uf96e
grey dots are SPDT switches http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sub-miniature-toggle-switch-a-on-on-spdt-fh00a

Id quite like them to look like arrows so Im considering making little boxed to go around each led with a diffuse top and reflective sides to boost the light up as much as possible.

The actual layout on the control panel would just be a couple printed pieces of paper with some backing that can be cut where needed with plexiglass on top.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 08:53:31 pm »
Firstly switches, DPDT (double pole, double throw) switches I think would be better, certainly cheaper. You can wire leds into the circuit too.

The controller, a slight problem. Is the red wire circular in section, or oval? If it's oval it's easier to separate the wires and use a choc bloc connector. After that you can use any colours you like for the wiring. The other way is to use a connector rail plug in the red wire from the controller and solder wires to that like a bus bar.
At the beginning, keep it simple. You can always up grade later.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 10:41:45 pm »
Firstly switches, DPDT (double pole, double throw) switches I think would be better, certainly cheaper. You can wire leds into the circuit too.

The controller, a slight problem. Is the red wire circular in section, or oval? If it's oval it's easier to separate the wires and use a choc bloc connector. After that you can use any colours you like for the wiring. The other way is to use a connector rail plug in the red wire from the controller and solder wires to that like a bus bar.
At the beginning, keep it simple. You can always up grade later.

Why dpdt? From what I understand that will switch two things at once? Won't that be detrimental?

I'm not sure what you mean by oval wire?

Both ends of the red attach to the rails by clip on connectors. The two don't ever touch.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 11:37:33 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by oval wire?

if end on the cut cable  looks like O then its round

if it looks like OO - then its sort of oval. ( or 2 cores with a plastic wrapper)

either way, you can separate the two cables that go into the track connector , and wire them into some block connector. then use this to connect to the feeder cables ( 2 core cable with polarity marked to make it easier! - ie a stripe on one strand of the cable)

if you dismantle / break open the square black track connectorm the wires are probably crimped/soldered onto 2 brass connectors - you can use these to fit into the connector block. (loco is optional)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:57:56 pm by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 10:05:49 am »
Those controllers from sets are actually not bad :no:
I would not recommend using the metal track connectors, though. Cut them off and pare the wire back a bit so you can connect more wire to them or solder them to the rails.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 11:09:44 am »
if it looks like OO - then its sort of oval. ( or 2 cores with a plastic wrapper)

It is two wires with plastic coating each which are stuck together that you can pull apart into individual wires. Each end of wire is soldered to a metal clip that fits around the rail. I did post a picture earlier showing the wire :)

Is that one wire being split into two feeds?

Those controllers from sets are actually not bad :no:
I would not recommend using the metal track connectors, though. Cut them off and pare the wire back a bit so you can connect more wire to them or solder them to the rails.

Yes I really dislike the connectors. Tried playing with it last night and noticed that the connectors were too large for the rail so kept partially derailing my 5MT. Snipped and filled that down and it runs over nicely, but definitely would prefer to just split that into three feeds and power things properly, then switch to a Morley vesta http://morleycontrollers.com/shopexd.asp?id=28&bc=no

Looks decent, has what I would need and you can plug in walk around controls if you wanted to operate from a different location.

There's a good reason for liking this controller:
For instance IF, and that's a big if, I manage to make this look realistic I may consider taking it to a show or two, it's a portable size so should be do able. so If i mount the controls at the back hidden under a hillside then I can show it off whilst stood behind it. If I want to play with it at home, I just plug in the hand helds and feed the wire underneath the layout to use it the other way around!

The control panel with the points switches I am planning to make partially portable. By that I mean have a longish multicore coming out the back to the centre of the board and then run the wires to each place that needs switches. By having it run to the middle of the baseboard I can then have the control panel on either side of the board. All I need to do is get a few hooks on either side and the panel can then slot in and be static whilst I use the hand helds (which can also be fitted with some hooks for storage).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:10:47 am by MrDobilina »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 05:38:11 pm »
Looks like the wire problem is sorted :)
With a DPDT switch one half can be used for isolating the track, the other for switching leds to indicate power or not. If two leds are wanted then it must be a DPDT switch. With one led a DPST  switch can be used.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 09:46:16 am »
Morning guys, just been looking at how to wire the cab(s) to the rails in order to switch control between the cab(s) or turn sections off.

The following diagram shows clearly where each section of track is and which switch controls the feed to that track.

You can switch between each cab so that you have a continuous run of power so now juddering should occur when changing between two isolated sections controlled by different cabs (as they will be controlled by the same one just with different feeds).

It uses a common return as each cab has its own transformer.

I've added isolating switches to 4 of the sidings so that a train can sit in the engine shed whilst a train uses the run around, a train can sit on the top platform whilst a new train pulls into the bottom platform or goods yard, a train can sit in the top siding of the goods yard whilst another frees it by pulling the wagons from behind it and vice versa, a train can sit in the left siding whilst a train pulls out from the sidings and out the way.

The switches at the top are SPDT centre off switches so that a feed can be turned off or switched between the two cabs.

The thing I need to do now is to figure out point motors, however I can wire this up this evening and just leave Cab2 unwired (As I haven't bought it yet haha)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:48:50 am by MrDobilina »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 10:12:50 am »
This is straight out of the Cyril J Freezer "PSL Book of Model Railway Wiring" so well done to you in getting your head round common return wiring.

You can switch between each cab so that you have a continuous run of power so now juddering should occur when changing between two isolated sections controlled by different cabs (as they will be controlled by the same one just with different feeds).

Shouldn't that read "so now juddering will not occur"?

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 10:16:44 am »
Wih DC keep all point motor wiring separate from track wiring. :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 10:17:40 am »
This is straight out of the Cyril J Freezer "PSL Book of Model Railway Wiring" so well done to you in getting your head round common return wiring.
why thank you :) I just hope I don't electrocute myself before I get to play with it!!
Shouldn't that read "so now juddering will not occur"?
Oops!! Thank again :D :beers:

Just had an email from interlink *grumble grumble* ehattons messed up the label on my parcel that was due to be delivered today which contained the remaining track I need and other bits such as the cork underlay.

This isn't a huge issue but I had hoped to be able to finish the track laying this evening whilst my wife is working on a late shift. As it stands I won't now be able to do anything to it until next week! I may do some wiring this evening but I won't be able to do a full or proper job, meaning I won't be able to run trains on it grrrr
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 11:41:37 am by MrDobilina »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 06:25:20 pm »
Glad you're getting things sorted. That's going to be a nice layout but beware the testing syndrome! :D

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 10:38:16 am »
A pair of embarrassingly large parcels has (finally) been delivered to my work place!

Should contain the cork underlay, the last point (The three way) and enough flex track to fill in the gaps. Tonight...WE SOLDER! haha :beers:

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 08:37:09 pm »
Hey guys

So this evening has really made me realise how unprepared for this.
After burning myself twice on the soldering iron trying to figure things out with one of the switches I threw in the towel until I got some advice from you all.

In the mean time I've put down the cork layer across he while board and will later another strip on top just under the track to give a little lift.

Ok so I thought this was an easy on off switch but i don't get it. Why are there four terminals for what should be a positive click to make switch?

And why is there a middle terminal for this one? The middle should be off? Why is there a third feed there?

forum image hosting

This is likely all simple stuff and I'm just too tired and down heartened to figure it all out

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here