!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GWR themed terminus and shunt layout  (Read 9131 times)

Offline MrDobilina

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: GWR themed terminus and shunt layout
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2017, 05:28:17 pm »
As posted on the ngf Facebook page, I've handpainted and weathered the engine shed
Picked out some bricks lighter than others and based it off the second image. Used a dark blue for the doors and main details to have a little variation.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2017, 05:37:46 pm »
That looks like a beautiful model.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2017, 08:49:22 pm »
Really, excellent work and great photos., too.

Steamie+

« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2017, 06:43:06 am »
Nice bit of weathering and a nice model too.   :thumbsup:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2017, 07:07:13 am »
Nice job! I love Ratio kits and you've done a great paint job on it.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2017, 10:30:54 am »
Hi guys and girls!

Sorry for the long time without any updates but there have been some big changes and I've put off doing a whole write up of it for far too long!

As some of you may know, I have joined the facebook group for NGF and have posted some of my more recent bits and pieces there as it's convenient to upload images and videos.

For those of you here I am taking the time now to properly update this thread :D

First off, the GWR terminus is dead......well ok that was a bit dramatic perhaps haha. But in short, there were so many wiring issues, poor running sections and missing rail joiners that I decided to scrub this project.

But don't fear! In its place a new project has been created!

This is roughly 1800mmx600mm (6ft by 2ft) and is also a GWR terminus hahaha :P
This is directly based off the P4 layout Dartley which I absolutely love. As soon as I saw the pointwork and the interesting shunting potential I wanted to make an N gauge variant. There are some minor changes mainly thanks to space available and points I had managed to retrieve from the old layout.

Here is the track plan:

And here is the P4 version:

I've created the following diode matrix which could control all the points, but I won't use it like this as it's a little restrictive

Finally here are a couple of views of the baseboards and the underside support. The baseboard is sundela board with ply supports and legs. The legs all have feet which are adjustable, and the fiddle yard is connected to the main board by two removable pin hinges. To remove all I need to do is pull the pin and pull back! So easy and it guarantees alignment too.
I cut the legs a foot too long by accident so they are 4ft not 3ft - BUT this has been very useful when laying track and getting underneath! Far less bending over and straining to get to the board.

I've already added a couple of point motors into the station points and they work well. I managed to pick up 12 seep pm1's from the Gauge O Guild summer get together at Doncaster a few weeks ago for the princely sum of 20 - all pre soldered with a rainbow of wires and each being the same order. It's made understanding seeps a lot easier!

And finally a few images of where the layout is so far! - I suppose it looks a bit like spaghetti, but once there are some features on the layout I'm sure it will look better :)

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2017, 10:39:23 am »
That looks like a project! Plenty to keep you out of mischief for the foreseeable future.

Looks like you're off to a good start, and basing it on an existing, quality layout seems like a great advantage - I have trouble looking at a trackplan and seeing the railway hidden within. I'm sure we'll all look forward to seeing this develop :thumbsup:.

Online mika

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2017, 02:59:42 pm »
Great plan and it looks like you made a good start. You are absolutely right about the beauty of the plan :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the scenic developments.

Cheers
Michael

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2017, 08:28:24 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing this develop. It's certainly a complex track plan.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2017, 01:44:48 pm »
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. I've had a few issues with wiring and need to get my father in law around to help out. He's a very long way away from us currently so that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

The other issue I have is that we are planning a move to a new city soon. Couple hundred miles from where we are now, so rather than risk doing a lot of work and having it damaged or destroyed in the move I've opted to pause until we are settled down again.

I currently have no idea on the space I'll have when we have moved even so planning ahead is a little tricky too.

I had started to put a bit of scenery in, namely, cutting away the board to make the canal section at the front of the boards.

Hoping to post some more updates before long but as I say, everything is quite up in the air at the moment!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2017, 01:49:26 pm »
Thanks for the update. I hope all goes well for you and the layout.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2017, 03:47:28 pm »
Good to hear from you and I wish you a smooth and successful move to your new home.
Keep us informed please.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2017, 03:22:26 am »
Hi,

Great stuff. I'd been watching but hadn't replied before. Thought I'd do so as don't want to miss your future achievements.

Good luck with the move and hope you get the space you need.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2017, 04:22:37 pm »
Little bit late to the party, but liking what I see - always in favour of seaside layouts :D

Looking forward to seeing the project progress when you're moved and settled, just don't do what I did and buy a house that needs more work than the layout!

nice weathering too.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here