!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: n gauge mine based layout plan  (Read 5765 times)

outofgauge and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: n gauge mine based layout plan
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2016, 11:41:25 am »
Neil

What sort of help do you need? Unit trains are certainly a possibility as are mixed freights with tank cars, double stacks, boxcars, car carriers, mineral hoppers, grain hoppers, or anything you like really. I'm a big fan of tank cars and cylindrical hoppers as you have just purchased.

Webbo

Online outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2016, 12:01:25 pm »
I just want to run the odd train of interest across the front-the main item is the mine -so be a lot of swithching going on -bringing empty hoppers up to the tipple from the truck storage -pushing them thro -and down the marshalling sidings where the big haulers will take the train off scene -eat -sleep- repeat ! Have seen a couple of twin stacks for sale good price and condition and ttx so neutral -but im not sure of the final height and going on /off stage is a tunnel mouth. Its realy a question of what people think would look good -but then ill probs get 100 different answers !!!

Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 04:32:05 am »
Yes, the double stacks can have trouble with tunnel and bridge clearances. Auto racks are another freight car type that can have the same issue. If the tunnel is on a curve, the likelihood of a clearance problem increases for rounded tunnel portals. This happened to me, but the fix was to raise the portal by a few millimetres. On the plus side, double stack trains are very common in the modern world and there are great models of them out there (Kato & Deluxe Innovations) and they look terrific.

Webbo

Online outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2016, 08:30:20 am »
Seen the walthers ones last week -not very good -the kato's are superb - but then I like their locos -so smooth and sure ! Not seen the deluxe inno versions -but the ones I had hold of were by con-cor . They seemed ok and came with two containers each ! The others are by n scale kits ive seen advertised - but ive not seen a review of them . Im going to the tings in november -so I'll see what I find there . But I see your point of pinching a few mils on the tunnel mouth -was going to try and keep the track straight a bit after entering the tunnel anyway -I dont like to see trains bending like mad before there off scene ! Thanks for the pointers tho !

Regards Neil
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Online outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 05:30:35 pm »
 :sorrysign:

Sorry for being away for so long -what with the garden revamp (major) new workshop construction (middle) Xmas  (major) and finally a holiday (minor) I've not had time to do anything for my intended layout bar continue adding rolling stock (plenty of good buys here ) and finish off the loco fleet (again some really good buys at bargain prices off ebay !!!!
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Online outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 08:31:05 pm »

Best offer accepted  at rails Sheffield! I love these colours and I'm glad bnsf decided to keep the livery to the present day !

Another good buy off ebay ! Proof that not all sellers want the rrp of a new model for as new /unused never been out the box model !

The cheapest of the lot - 35 -never been out the box -just looked at and loved !

Another cheap buy -never been used or touched ! Accessory  pack still sealed up !

Will post the rolling stock pictures when I've got time -that and the pictures so far of the mine building construction and the layout plan as it stands !

Regards 

Neil
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2017, 05:47:36 am »
I much like the BNSF pumpkin paint scheme. They look quite spectacular in reality. Here's one (an ES44AC) that I photographed a couple of years ago at Roberts Bank coal terminal just south of Vancouver (Canada).

Webbo

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2017, 05:59:35 am »
I'll bet the extrude a feeling of power up close.

Outofgauge:

Love the multicoloured backdrop to your new locos!  ;D ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2017, 09:24:07 am »
The only time the wife gets involved in my hobby -lend me your tray so I can photo stuff in the lounge !! Like webbo  says there's just something about the colours bnsf use -be it the heritage colours or the new swoosh colours (they still have both running) in fact they still have the burlington northern green and the at&sf yellow machines still running ! Some look well faded through sun and weathering-but still attractive  in a machine way -they just ooze power ! Going to start changing the couplings and fitting the dcc boards this week hopefully. Does anybody know how athearns  mchendry coupling and microtrains behave together -I've seen on an American forum that they behave together good -but it would be nice for somebody else to confirm or laugh it off ?? :helpneededsign:

Regards

Neil
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2017, 09:36:32 am »
Hi Neil

I have mostly MT couplers, a fair few Atlas Accumates, a couple of Athearn McHenrys, and all my Kato locos are fitted with Kato knuckles. They all couple together nicely on straight track or mild curves and stay coupled right round my layout. I suspect though that if you wanted to undertake uncoupling operations as in shunting, the best performance would be with couplers of the same type.

Webbo

Online outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2017, 09:47:25 am »
Going to be mostly shunting going on -so that's why I changed most of my kato couplings for mtl's -because nearly everybody I've spoken to at exhibitions and on forums said that's the way to go! My gripe is that there not that cheap over here -not many people have them in stock -although I've just found a cheaper source of Mt 7' s for converting my Bethgon  coalporters by kato -just I've got 10 athearns -and I didn't want to go berserk changing everything in sight ! Going to keep the bethgons in rakes of four change front and rear and then leave the intermediate couplings intact . Hopefully that should work ?? As I intend to run mixed freights across the front now and then -I just need front and rear cars to mtl's and hopefully the rest will behave and not embarrass  me ??

Regards

Neil
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2017, 11:08:10 am »
It's all good stuff Neil!

Tell me, what's the benefit of exchanging Kato couplets for micro trains?

I'm aware that I have a bit of a mixture on my own stock, but not really aware of the operational differences. Is it for auto-uncoupling? Thanks

Donald

Online outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2017, 03:44:35 pm »
Mainly for peace of mind and uncoupling purposes. The layout is hopefully going to shows when it's done -and I've done more than a few with my mate mainline (Terry Tasker of circle line fame ?) And it does my head in when they don't work properly we attended Preston show last weekend -and because some are retrofitted to older stock and not lined up properly -they are a nightmare to uncouple and to me it's embarrassing!! I just want reliability and mtl's supposedly have it ( done some running tests and they are good -suppose it's newness and everything is set right !) Plus if you read any forums it's all mtl's or mchendrys- kato's own are OK with another kato but don't like mchendrys much -plus some of my locos are just a fixed pilot on the front and not a magnetic any way -so for ease I'm doing all the locos (7) with mtl's  saying that and my sd70ACe is a bit tricky -according to you tube it's a 2004-1 but according to microtrains Joe D'amato it's a lash up of two different boxes coupler off one box off another to get the height right ???? Will have to play and if anybody interested I'll put the info on here?? As I said earlier the coal wagons will be in blocks of four (mtl's each end kato or mchendry in middle -the rest of the freight will just be sorted to suit (having two assorted freight trains running either way on the main  -will just switch cars around to change the life up . All good fun hope that answers your questions?

Regards

Neil
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2017, 08:19:45 pm »
Thanks!
I'm impressed you can sort between the coupler types. That's attention to detail.
Donald

Online outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 08:47:52 pm »
I probably do to much investigating sometimes -but the net has a million views on everything -I treat it like trip advisor -look at the good ones look at the bad ones  ( and usually laugh a lot ) and then go with the middle majority  -I don't like making to many mistakes as in this game they are often expensive . The coupling bit is just me wanting it right first time ! All the info is there it's being patient to find it !

Regards

Neil
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP