!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: n gauge mine based layout plan  (Read 5783 times)

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
n gauge mine based layout plan
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:24:54 pm »
Before I go completely bonkers searching -can somebody point me in the right direction -im looking for a n gauge track plan of a mine based switching / freight line  that I can gane some inspiration from to do a nice exhibition layout from . Nothing to big as it will have travel .The wifes getting suspicious at the amount of time i am spending on the net browsing some weird and wonderful sites !

Many thanks    Neil   :thankyousign:
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: n gauge mine based layout plan
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:31:32 pm »
Two suggestions for you Neil

1. There is nothing like the real deal to provide inspiration for track plans. I would search the web for some names and locations of the type of mine you wish to model then use Google Earth to have a look at the track layouts for a particular mine. I don't have any mines on my layout, but I do have a grain elevator and I'm looking at Google Earth to inspire my track configuration around the elevator.

2. There are lots of American track plans on the web many of which include a mine. You could chop out the piece of such a plan for your mine.

Good luck with your planning
Webbo 

Offline GaryAlan

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:50:50 pm »
I was looking for something similar and came across this, might be of some use?
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/index.htm#fops

Gary
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left...

Offline snitchthebudgie

• N Gauge Society Number: 25616
  • 2mm Association Number: 4489
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 03:18:21 pm »
For lots of USA Appalacian ideas, try http://appalachianrailroadmodeling.com/.  Not all that small, but all good material.  Jon

Offline Graham Walters

• N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:01:59 pm »
Before I go completely bonkers searching -can somebody point me in the right direction -im looking for a n gauge track plan of a mine based switching / freight line  that I can gane some inspiration from to do a nice exhibition layout from . Nothing to big as it will have travel .The wifes getting suspicious at the amount of time i am spending on the net browsing some weird and wonderful sites !

Many thanks    Neil   :thankyousign:

Try looking at some old maps of The Forest Of Dean, it was a hive of activity from mining to wod and other associated industries right up to the sixties ans seventies
Test Valley Models
info@testvalleymodels.com

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm
Unit 404, The Commercial Centre. Picket Piece. Andover SP11 6RU

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 08:14:10 am »
Try looking at some old maps of The Forest Of Dean, it was a hive of activity from mining to wod and other associated industries right up to the sixties ans seventies

Not very American though ;)

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 08:42:31 am »
Correct - my fault for not making it clear I am interested in american mines -just figured putting it on the american forum board would be the key ! :dunce:
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Graham Walters

• N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.com
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 08:53:00 am »

Not very American though ;)

Granted but it would give you an idea for track plans and associated industries
Test Valley Models
info@testvalleymodels.com

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm
Unit 404, The Commercial Centre. Picket Piece. Andover SP11 6RU

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 09:57:05 am »
Correct - my fault for not making it clear I am interested in american mines -just figured putting it on the american forum board would be the key ! :dunce:

Many people I suspect (me included) just look at the recent posts, so may not spot it. Given this forum's penchant for sub forums I'm disappointed there aren't 50 sub-forums under the American one - one for each state. Including Hawaii.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:53:47 pm by njee20 »

Offline MKP

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 11:53:25 am »
Kato produces a track plan for a coal mine:

1800mm x 900mm approx

Offline Trent

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 06:06:47 pm »
I've got a book recommendation for you: the Model Railroader's Guide to Coal by Tony Koester (I think), published by Model Railroader magazine books or possibly Kalmbach. It's in print and costs about 10-20 quid. A brilliant sourcebook which takes you through all the steps and processes in the coal industry, and, it's written by a modeler who knows what you're looking for. Pretty sure it has track plans in the back but also plenty of reference photos. 

I used it as a source for my own coal mine, which I'm happy to upload a picture of, although it's neither finished nor expert-level, and at the moment picture uploads on this site seem to be broken. 

For the benefit of other budding miners out there, here's what I've learned at the coal-face:

- Almost all of the coal is in the eastern US, lots of it hauled by my guys, the Nickel Plate Road and the New York Central, plus Norfolk Western, and I think the most coal-oriented classic railroad of all was the Chesapeake and Ohio

- The coal mine will either be regular coal mine (winding house on the surface sends an elevator underground to the subterranean coal seams, conveyors bring coal to the surface) or a strip mine (blast away the side of a mountain, dig out the coal in the open using all manner of huge Power Shovels)

- There are different sorts of coal but IIRC it boils down for our purposes to 'Pennsylvania had harder coal so if you're doing that region you need to make the crushers and breakers quite prominent and perhaps have a crushing house as a separate industry'

- However the coal's been got out of the ground it needs to go to a wash-house where it gets blasted with water, then to one or more crushers which break it down into the desired sizes, then to a tipple which is the storage box on stilts which stands over the tracks, with a hatch in the bottom which pours the coal into the hoppers

- There is probably a powerhouse of some kind keeping all this stuff going   

- Coal can get from each step to the next by conveyor belt (usually), or by truck ('Euclids' or Yukes and Railway Express Miniatures do a nice model of these), or in-house railway system (much less common) and this all depends on the terrain and how much money they've got

- You've got an awful lot of choice in how you do the mine - a big important coal mine in the 1920s-30s-40s could well have a tipple spanning six tracks, but you can also have a small tipple hang over just one siding off the lead (mainline, except it's not really the mainline, we'll come to that in a moment); if you want to model the 60s onwards, it would be common to find a simple truck dump - literally just a platform of heavy timbers that a truck of coal drives on to and tips out its coal into the hoppers below   

- Everything was built on-site in a vernacular style so it's difficult to go 'wrong' with your mine design as long as there's some sort of visible logic, and you can totally ignore everything apart from the loading point (truck dump or tipple) if you want because this might be a long way from the mine workings. You can have a conveyor poking out of a forest or cliffs for example 

- I mentioned leads vs mainlines before. Generally speaking (and there are going to be lots of exceptions) the coal is not being loaded at points along the shared mainline of the overall railroad system, rather, a branch comes off that mainline (this is probably called a 'lead') and off into the wilderness where a clump of tipples/loading points are networked together. Usually these share one massive yard with storage tracks to organise loads and empties and different grades of coal. A number of locomotives live at the yard and do the 'mine run' every so often where they go around with a short train of hoppers picking up coal and taking it up to the yard, these are probably small switchers, the loco that takes the coal to its destination is usually a different one

- The loaded coal trains are very very long and are almost always unit trains, but empties can be brought back to the yard as part of a general freight train that happened to be going that way. Sometimes you would see one or two hoppers as part of general freight train delivering locally, say to small coal merchants or medium sized buildings for their heating system; these have probably been dropped off at a yard somewhere by a passing unit train.   

- Dotted around the mine you might well find a Company Town, probably with a Company Store that can take deliveries in the form of boxcars and reefers. The mine workings themselves might also want deliveries of tools, dynamite, fuel, mules, etc. Personnel might be given a lift up and down the tracks in something like a Budd RDC or just in battered old passenger cars/work cars (Tichy Train Group do kits for these).

- So as to an actual track plan, you could model the lead running through big nature stopping off at different coal loading points and bringing the hoppers to a yard - perhaps the yard is in the centre of a loop and the loading points on the outside; is the layout going to be walk-around-able, if so one side could be the loading point and the other side the yard; or if you want to do a linear design have the yard at one end and a long stretch out going past several loading points - you've probably not got space to do a full coal yard so perhaps it 'continues' on the other side of a strategically placed bridge?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:33:46 pm by Trent, Reason: clarifying the different railroads »

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 08:01:10 pm »
 :bounce: good news fellow modellers ive found what im after at long last ! Going to use a use a variant of the Edna mine track plan -plus some ideas I have plus some more I have spotted attached to the Edna mine page on the net !

Thanks to all who gave me leads or ideas ! Away we go -once gaugemaster get a new delivery of the cornerstone mine kit !!!!!
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 12:22:15 am »
I'm glad that the plan is sorted.

You do know that Cornerstone now makes two different mine kits? The New River Mining Company kit has been around for quite a while whereas the Diamond Coal Corporation kit seems to be relatively new.

Webbo

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 12:00:13 am »
Hello, outofgauge!
Looking mighty good!! I'm looking forward to seeing more!!
I don't think you're looking for this and probably you know this already but there is big(I think biggest in US.) coal mine in Wyoming called Powder river basin served by a few class 1 railroads.
Also Trains magazine April 2010 issue was special coal issue. It had a lot of information about coal mining staff.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:13:24 am by dats475 »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 06:24:24 pm »
I'm glad that the plan is sorted.

You do know that Cornerstone now makes two different mine kits? The New River Mining Company kit has been around for quite a while whereas the Diamond Coal Corporation kit seems to be relatively new.

Webbo

Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread, but does anyone have any experience of using either of these kits?

Using dimensions from the Walthers web site I made some paper mock-ups. They seem to be huge  :worried:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything