!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran-2  (Read 30166 times)

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran-2
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2016, 07:07:33 pm »
I managed to fit the sloping roadway in between the bridge sides today and fix the whole thing in place on the layout.
I was a bit concerned about the road looking OK but am reasonably happy with the outcome. The bridge fits over the track so just completed a test to ensure clearance is OK.
Once the glue holding the roadway in place is dry, I should be able to start building the cottages/shops which will line the two sides of the road up and over the bridge. I need the road in place to ensure that I get the slope correct on the base of the houses so that they appear properly horizontal going up the slope. (If that all makes sense).   I also need to build a new Cornish Arms pub to sit right at the top.
It all looks a bit messy at the moment so pictures in a few days when it should more properly take shape.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2016, 07:39:42 pm »
Many thanks for the update, Martin. I can picture it in my mind. I'm sure that the new "Cornish Arms" pub will look even more attractive than the previous one. (Was the first one burnt to the ground in a tragic fire?)

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2016, 07:45:35 pm »
Many thanks for the update, Martin. I can picture it in my mind. I'm sure that the new "Cornish Arms" pub will look even more attractive than the previous one. (Was the first one burnt to the ground in a tragic fire?)
It was more dramatic than a fire.
After midnight, just after Christmas a double decker bus was stolen from the Western National depot at Lanharrack by two local youths.
They took the bus for a joyride towards Port Perran but lost control as they rounded the corner  next to the Cornish Arms. Luckily , the usual Monday evening "lock in" didn't take place that evening so no one was in the bar. The two youths were able to leap clear at the last moment but the bus and pub were destroyed. It was fortunate that Edward and Beryl Curnow(landlord and landlady) were locking up the outhouses behind the pub so they too were uninsured.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2016, 07:53:08 pm »
Thanks for the news report, Martin. I hope that the local constabulary caught the culprits and that they were punished with the full vigour of the Law! However, it is very good news that neither Edward and Beryl Curnow nor any of the customers were injured in the accident. I hope that the pub and contents were fully insured and the insurance company paid out quickly and in full! I hope that there will be a raised stone pavement outside the pub sufficient to protect the building from any more runaway road vehicles!

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2016, 08:01:24 pm »
Thanks for the news report, Martin. I hope that the local constabulary caught the culprits and that they were punished with the full vigour of the Law! However, it is very good news that neither Edward and Beryl Curnow nor any of the customers were injured in the accident. I hope that the pub and contents were fully insured and the insurance company paid out quickly and in full! I hope that there will be a raised stone pavement outside the pub sufficient to protect the building from any more runaway road vehicles!
The insurance company paid out in full. As the pub was a free house , Beryl and Edward were the owners. They reached an agreement with the Headland Brewery who will be contributing towards the cost of rebuilding the pub which will retain much of the character of the old one.   As the new pub will be at the top of a slope, there should be no future problems with runaway vehicles.
The two youths were suitably dealt with buy the local magistrates and are currently enjoying a short spell inside Bodmin gaol.  Hopefully they will have time to reflect on the error of their ways.

My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2016, 08:15:19 pm »
That's all good to read, Martin. I think the "Headland Brewery" has, as always, demonstrated its commitment to the local community. Will there be a special re-opening ale for the pub as well as the station?

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2016, 08:29:36 pm »
That's all good to read, Martin. I think the "Headland Brewery" has, as always, demonstrated its commitment to the local community. Will there be a special re-opening ale for the pub as well as the station?
That is, at present, a closely guarded secret.
On a modelling note though, I need some input. The double row of cottages and shops running up the side of the bridge and on along the baseboard will only be viewed from the front (even at exhibitions). I can't decide whether to fit Windows and doors to both sides of each building or just the side that can be seen.
There seems little point in spending time adding details that cannot be seen(except that I'll know they are there)!
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2016, 08:40:03 pm »
Thanks, Martin. Everyone will be waiting for the announcement(s).

Regarding the houses and shops, if you're absolutely certain that any windows and doors fitted to the 'blind' side will never be seen, I would not fit them to both sides of each building but only the side that can be seen. A possible exception would be if there was any chance of seeing back windows through the front windows?

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2016, 08:44:52 pm »
Will there be a special re-opening ale for the pub as well as the station?

A rumour doing the rounds in W.Cornwall is a special brew is planned, to be known as Port Perran Pale. Sure to become known as Three Ps, as many of us of a certain age will recognise after a pint.  :laugh: :beers:

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2016, 08:50:18 pm »
Will there be a special re-opening ale for the pub as well as the station?

A rumour doing the rounds in W.Cornwall is a special brew is planned, to be known as Port Perran Pale. Sure to become known as Three Ps, as many of us of a certain age will recognise after a pint.  :laugh: :beers:
The Directors of the Headland Brewery are actively seeking a name for a new ale but won't confirm that it will be in celebration of a new station or pub. They do like the 3Ps idea though.
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2016, 08:54:16 pm »
I really like "Port Perran Pale" and agree that it's sure to become known as Three Ps, (and I understand all too well, why!). 8-)

If I have time, I will produce a special BR special train poster as I have found a suitable BR period one to edit.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2016, 07:20:28 pm »
Lots of other conflicting interests this weekend but managed a bit of work on Port Perran. I've been concentrating on the group of cottages running up the slope behind the station area. First a picture of work in progress :

And now a picture of the two groups of cottages lodged in place :

As you can see, no roofing in place yet except a single roof template.
There will be another group of cottages and shops on the other side of the bridge/road. The slope template is in place.
The cottages this side are rears(I decided that as the other side won't be visible, I won't add any detailing that side). Obviously the ones on the other side of the road will be front view only.
Holes have been placed between the inner walls to allow internal lighting.
Long way still to go with this area!
By the way, the station is not open to trains yet but traffic can pass on the through road from Truro to Trepol Bay and beyond. Albeit at a reduced speed.
Here we see the local schools train passing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:22:39 pm by port perran, Reason: Added extra text »
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2016, 08:00:58 pm »
Thanks for the update, Martin. The cottages are coming on well. I look forward to the next progress report, in due course. Maybe, this summer, I'll start to scratchbuild some buildings for Cant Cove inspired by your construction method.

Glad to see the line through Port Perran is open, again, to through traffic as it is an import goods and passenger route from Penmayne - Wadebridge to South Cornwall and then, by ship, and SNCF train, to Britanny.

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2016, 08:49:54 pm »
I like the cottages. A lot of work there. Are the passengers sitting on the platform waiting for the reopening ceremony? :confused1: :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2016, 08:51:01 pm »
I like the cottages. A lot of work there. Are the passengers sitting on the platform waiting for the reopening ceremony? :confused1: :)
Ha. They will have quite a wait. Luckily the weather is set fine.
My Layouts -

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here