!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran-2  (Read 30376 times)

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Port Perran-2
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:14:05 am »
So.....the time has come to seriously think about starting on Port Perran Mark2.
The idea is to link the new layout to Trepol Bay so that trains can run between the two stations.
Tomorrow, as the weather is expected to be awful, I intend to get the old Port Perran layout out from under the bed for one last time and take a few photos before I then start to dismantle it, hopefully being able to re-use most of the track, point motors and buildings etc.
For those that remember Port Perran, I do hope to retain the beach section and incorporate it into the new version. If I can make it fit.
I'm not one for track planning but have a clear idea of what I want to achieve so once the old layout is dismantled, I'll see if the baseboard (or part of it) is re-usable and then start assembling the new baseboard which will be a completely different shape.
I will be retaining much of the character of the old layout but in a somewhat different format so watch this thread.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Denemarken

• Awards
Re: Port Perran-2
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:21:34 pm »
Really looking forward to seeing this one develop  :beers:
Ready To Learn & Thank You For The Warm Welcome

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 02:10:30 pm »
 :) Another great layout to enjoy as it develops. I guess it will be well up to your high standards
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 03:33:11 pm »
 :hellosign: Martin, looking forward to future developments, hope all goes to plan but really don`t need another bad weather day, good luck
regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 12:59:40 pm »
Demolition of the original Port Perran layout has now commenced in earnest. It was a hard job to start dismantling it but needs be. It was my first layout and was always a learning curve. I learned a lot from constructing it and made many mistakes along the way.
I've added a couple of pre-demolition photos to remind people of the layout:

Dismantling is a messy job but I want to re-use some buildings where possible. Track was largely pinned down so that's not too problematical although I need to clean off ballast. Some bits, which had been painted for various reasons will not be re used.
Hopefully, I'll have finished taking it all apart by Monday and can then turn my attention to starting the new baseboard. Space precludes me from doing two things at once so I'll need to get the old baseboard taken apart first.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:32:11 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 01:32:27 pm »
This is the scene of devestation :

And a collection of retained bits and pieces on the floor :

No going back now !
My Layouts -

Offline jrb

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 05:48:53 pm »
No going back now !

Nah, a bit of gaffa tape & you'll be back in business in no time!
I'm supporting Revolution Trains' Class 'B' project:

Offline Tdm

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 06:08:08 pm »
Good luck with your new project Martin.

The misses and I are thinking of a holiday in the U.K. in July, possibly along the South Coast after first visting family in Chester.

You should have it finished by July - might pop in to have a look?

I quite fancy a few days in Bournemouth as I have never ever been there, and I believe in Summer we can get a flight back to Tenerife from Poole? Not all that far from Bournemouth to Cornwall is it!

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 07:34:42 pm »
Such a shame to see all that good work and a lovely model dismantled. Just cos you think you made a few mistakes!!. It's a bit like wall papering. the person who puts the wall paper up knows where the dogdy bits are, but everyone else thinks it looks brilliant.
Still I'm looking forward to seeing how MkII evolves - as are loads of others I'm sure.
Good luck and keep the piccies coming.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:10:06 pm »
Good luck with your new project Martin.
The misses and I are thinking of a holiday in the U.K. in July, possibly along the South Coast after first visting family in Chester.
You should have it finished by July - might pop in to have a look?
I quite fancy a few days in Bournemouth as I have never ever been there, and I believe in Summer we can get a flight back to Tenerife from Poole? Not all that far from Bournemouth to Cornwall is it!
Probably 3.5 hours from Bournmouth to us but if you get down this far do pop in.
My Layouts -

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 09:43:32 pm »
 :hellosign: thanks for the pics Martin, never saw the  original Port Perran, good luck with new build.
regards Derek .

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 07:24:27 pm »
The old layout is now bare. All track removed along with all buildings and scenery. Most of it saved for re-use or improvement.  Just need to remove the wiring and salvage the point motors before disposing of the main board.  I can probably re-use several of the underboard batons.
I've ordered the trestle tables upon which Port Perran-2 will sit (they will fit nicely over a single bed) and will (hopefully)purchase the wood for the baseboards on Friday.
Have been working on the plans (I'm not one for computerised plans I'm afraid) but the new station will closely resemble the old one with a curved platform but with the addition of a carriage siding for berthing seasonal stock.
I intend to keep the loco shed and goods yard (perhaps with new buildings).
I will also rebuild the wood yard/sawmills (with siding) and the granite finishing workshop.
I also hope to retain the engineering workshop (perhaps this time with a short rail link).
A new addition will be the Headland Brewery building (Metcalfe kit) which will be rail served and a small workshop housing the CLPG workshop.
The plans are largely in my head but once the baseboard is completed, I can roughly lay some track to get the feel for what I want to achieve.
My Layouts -

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 10:34:11 pm »
 :hellosign: Martin thanks for the updates, looking forward to seeing this develop
regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 08:22:15 pm »
So.........Port Perran-2 is born.
Been busy today creating the baseboard which is 6 ft by 2ft. Made of 2 sections each 3x2 to make transportation easier. 
Completed the batons under the plyboard with  holes drilled to accommodate wiring later. The baseboard sits on two trestle tables which fit over a single bed (as can be seen ). The whole room has return to a bedroom from time to time when we have visitors.  The problem with the original Port Perran was that it was too large to stow away and I couldn't run both it and Trepol Bay together - hence the reincarnation.
So.......first pictures :

I have utilised the old backscene and the beach area which was on the old layout.
The track and buildings are just a guide at this stage. I'll have a proper play deciding on a final plan tomorrow.

A closer picture showing the old beach scene in place.

Port Perran-2 will link to Trepol Bay's fiddle yard by means of a linking three span girder bridge. Hopefully I can get this finished tomorrow (needs a centre section of course). This will enable trains to run happily (hopefully) between the 2 layouts.

I'm not sure at this stage which of the buildings from the old layout  I will be able to utilise again (I suspect that the vast majority will be rebuilt and hopefully look better) but I do hope to retain the character of the old layout and retain most of the old industrial businesses .
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:34:01 pm by port perran »
My Layouts -

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 08:41:46 pm »
Great work - looking forward to seeing more updates :claphappy:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00