Wheel specs

Started by thos, December 15, 2011, 07:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thos

Could some fine soul please give me the standard dimensions of new Farish/Dapol Steam driving wheels i.e. back-to-back and flange width and depth.  As I'm planning to build my own visible track (hidden will be Peco with either their or my points) I'd like to know now before I start buying.  All I got from a very nice chat with Union Mills is that his wheels are the same as Farish, but he didn't know the specs - as they are pushed on, the BtB can be adjusted.  I presume Farish driving wheels' back-to-backs cannot be changed easily.

As European and US standards differ considerably, do GF follow one or the other or their own?  The same question also raises itself with Peco points.  If wheels and points are designed to cope with either, building the points to go with the rolling stock I'm going to buy means I can make them much better by building them to my own specification.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: thos on December 15, 2011, 07:10:19 PM
As European and US standards differ considerably, do GF follow one or the other or their own?

"Yes"

Current stuff seems to be following NMRA profile but slightly under NMRA b2b, older stuff (Poole era) is much closer to NEM. Dapol is generally similar although random Dapol locos have dreadful wheels eg first Hymeks had cookie cutters that would have embarrased Lima.

So I think a good summary would "drifting towards NMRA"

2fs in the UK has consistent defined standards for track and wheels, N doesn't. You biggest problems will be that you can't adjust Peco wheels (one part moulding), and you can't adjust most Dapol wheels much as they fall apart if you do.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations