!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Birmingham Knotmore Street  (Read 7985 times)

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Birmingham Knotmore Street
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2016, 02:07:57 pm »
An unusual freight working from the West Country passes through, it is believed returning empty wagons to the Plighwood Heath Works where many vital locomotive and machinery parts made from metal are bashed, as well as a consignment of Cornish Pasties and ale for the work's summer fete.

In other news, the chaps down at Tyseley are getting excited about the potential arrival of a slam-door DMU set and another mystery vehicle.
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2016, 10:05:53 pm »
 :hellosign: Railsquid, thanks for sharing
regards Derek.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2016, 09:55:18 am »
I think the Class 108 must be the same one that runs through Claverdon on the Birmingham to Stratford services  ;)

Until we can buy a genuine Class 116 I think the 108 is the best substitute available RTR.  There were a few 108 units stabled at the old Leamington Milverton shed; my theory is that one was borrowed (in our alternate timeline) to cover for a shortage of stock in the Western Region.

That does indeed sound most plausible, especially as this route is less urban than the Cross-City line and I have photographic evidence of 101s being used on it. I also have a 108 in BR Blue, and a Dapol bubble car in green. This particular model was acquired on a local auction site for a fairly reasonable price and I was unable to resist.

I'm not sure of the exact class number, but this looks quite plausible:

br-class-117-kitbuilt by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The camera is somewhat cruel - it does actually look fairly convincing in real life, especially from a distance - although I have no idea how accurate it is to whatever it's supposed to represent. From Hattons, who had a bunch of similar kit-built units recently. Unmotorized, though one car looks suitable for motorizing. A longer-term project.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:08:01 am by railsquid »

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2016, 11:11:26 am »
I think the Class 108 must be the same one that runs through Claverdon on the Birmingham to Stratford services  ;)

Until we can buy a genuine Class 116 I think the 108 is the best substitute available RTR.  There were a few 108 units stabled at the old Leamington Milverton shed; my theory is that one was borrowed (in our alternate timeline) to cover for a shortage of stock in the Western Region.

That does indeed sound most plausible, especially as this route is less urban than the Cross-City line and I have photographic evidence of 101s being used on it. I also have a 108 in BR Blue, and a Dapol bubble car in green. This particular model was acquired on a local auction site for a fairly reasonable price and I was unable to resist.

The camera is somewhat cruel - it does actually look fairly convincing in real life, especially from a distance - although I have no idea how accurate it is to whatever it's supposed to represent. From Hattons, who had a bunch of similar kit-built units recently. Unmotorized, though one car looks suitable for motorizing. A longer-term project.

That looks like a fair representation of a long underframe suburban DMU, like the ones that worked out of Moor St.  I saw that one on Hattons' site and nearly bought it myself.  Class 122s were sometimes used to strengthen the 3-car units so you could use one of those to pull/push the kit built 3-car unit until you can motorise it.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2016, 12:35:01 pm »

That looks like a fair representation of a long underframe suburban DMU, like the ones that worked out of Moor St.  I saw that one on Hattons' site and nearly bought it myself.  Class 122s were sometimes used to strengthen the 3-car units so you could use one of those to pull/push the kit built 3-car unit until you can motorise it.

That's an idea - I was going to say they didn't have end couplings, but it turns out the end bogies were inverted. Also happy to report the missing buffer fell out of one of the other cars.

Two are numbered - the driving car pictured (M13314) and the central trailer (M94033).

Examined close up, the kit-builtness which shows up on camera is very apparent, but from 1~2 feet away they look a lot more convincing than you'd imagine. Overall I'm more satisfied with these than I imagined.

br-class-117-kitbuilt-2 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2016, 03:37:02 pm »
Research, research... a BR Blue 116 at Moor Street as late as 1987: http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/1248

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2016, 08:56:32 am »
An unusual freight working from the West Country passes through, it is believed returning empty wagons to the Plighwood Heath Works where many vital locomotive and machinery parts made from metal are bashed, as well as a consignment of Cornish Pasties and ale for the work's summer fete.

Very good to see that the first through goods train from Cornwall and Somerset has arrived safely behind the "Green Dragon". The goods vans contain (green) Somerset cider, Somerset ale (purple-red), Cornish pasties (orange), and Cornish ale (dark blue); whilst the light blue vehicles belong to the "Cornish Estates", the van containing fresh produce. The pair of single-bolster wagons are for transporting logs and timber, in future. The LMSR-pattern brake van seems to have picked up a lot of dust en route whilst the rest of the train remained immaculate. 8-)

Unfortunately, the expected PO goods rolling stock from West Cornwall was unavoidably delayed until September at the earliest due to the rush of orders in June and July exceeding the available capacity at Cant Cove and Trepol Bay plus the August holiday period. However, fresh Cornish produce from (their livery being dark green), "Messrs Prisk & Jones" (Fruit & Vegetable Wholesalers), Trepol Bay, was included in the "Castle Estates"! Extra-LWB Insulated Van whilst (their livery: black and gold) a selection of the excellent ales from the "Headland Brewery, Port Perran (NB no longer Trepol Bay) was conveyed with those of its own in the "Castle Brewery" van.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:43:48 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2016, 09:49:23 am »
The kit-built DMUs look like Derby Class 116s (fine for the Birmingham area) rather than Class 117s (mainly used in the London area). However, they do look very good at normal viewing distances. Powering a 2-car rake with a single diesel railcar is an excellent solution and makes the set up to the normal 3-cars. (The WR did use a variety of Suburban and Cross-Country 2-car DMU sets in the West Country and I'd like a suburban and a Swindon Cross-Country set as both types were used in North Cornwall.)

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2016, 11:40:01 am »
The kit-built DMUs look like Derby Class 116s (fine for the Birmingham area) rather than Class 117s (mainly used in the London area). However, they do look very good at normal viewing distances. Powering a 2-car rake with a single diesel railcar is an excellent solution and makes the set up to the normal 3-cars. (The WR did use a variety of Suburban and Cross-Country 2-car DMU sets in the West Country and I'd like a suburban and a Swindon Cross-Country set as both types were used in North Cornwall.)
My memories were somewhat hazy, further investigation proves 116s were the mainstay, but in later years there was an increasing mix of whatever compatible stock Tyseley could muster, there were certainly formations with 117 cars on the Cross-City line and I remember units turning up still bearing route maps for routes out of Kings Cross (or was it St. Pancras?). For Moor Street I've found evidence of 101s running, both as normal and mixed sets.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2016, 11:52:58 am »
Yes, towards the end of the 1st generation DMUs, all sorts of mixed DMU rakes were pressed into service by various depots, including Tyseley. After they were replaced out of Marylebone (DMUs were replaced by NSE Networker ones, out of St. Pancras by suburban electrification earlier and Kings Cross even earlier than that), some of the DMU trailers were transferred elsewhere and they may well have had route maps of their former lines).

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2016, 02:20:49 am »
Tum-te-tum... having had the layout in more-or-less its general intended configuration, it is starting to "feel" right despite the self-inflicted overcrowding. However while it's intended as a permanent layout, I will be avoiding, for the most part, the traditional "stick everything to the baseboard" approach for various reasons - time issues and the desire to run trains mean I want to make gradual incremental improvements without having to tear sections apart - for example, the Tomix elevated viaduct track on the Japanese part of the layout will need weathering from its default grey plastic at some point, but not right now.

Moreover the Knotmore Street end of the layout will need to be dismantled occasionally to gain access to the air conditioning unit on the wall above for maintenance, so the station will be a discrete "module" which can be removed if necessary - I have some ideas on how to do that, basically making the raised area removable from the baseboards. Anyway while thinking about that it occurred to me I could add another "optional" raised module on the goods yard side of the station, which will rest above the lower level Japanese scenery, for those times when I'm feeling more in a British mood. It could hold a couple of sidings and some approximation of the goods facilities and maybe some generic urban backscene.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2016, 05:51:49 am »
The LMSR-pattern brake van seems to have picked up a lot of dust en route whilst the rest of the train remained immaculate. 8-)

Apparently the rear end of the train was caught by a freak localised grimestorm while passing through Stickey End Junction.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2016, 11:14:00 pm »
 :hellosign: All sounding excellent Railsquid, thanks for sharing
regards Derek.

Online railsquid