!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction  (Read 79250 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #1935 on: November 14, 2017, 09:08:50 pm »
Thanks John,

If you were there under duress in the early to mid eighties then I am mighty envious, that was most definitely their hey day and I wasn't attending games then

More than once, I have laid points, thinking all the connectors are engaged, only to come back later and find a bit of misalignment!

My mum's knitting days are behind her now, so his chances of getting a new hat are slim :)

Early 'eighties indeed, Andrew.  Here's evidence of my tedium.  And one was in Glasgow as well.  I had banished that from my mind until now.  I had abuse shouted at me on one occasion by a group of excited Aberdonian chaps - I don't know why.  Somebody tried to explain but it was all beyond me.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1936 on: November 14, 2017, 09:47:59 pm »
That program on the bottom right, that is a blast from the past, I have that one too, I got taken to the 1st match, which ended up a draw, but my dad didn't take me to the replay (school night) so I missed seeing united win it!

Off topic I know, but it is getting late and I have my Regional President (my boss's, boss's boss) on board for a 4 day visit (today was day 2), he has just gone to bed so I can relax for a few hours, so I need a distraction!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1937 on: November 15, 2017, 06:29:09 am »
Buoyed by the success of fixing track issue 1 of 3, I moved on to the 2nd one

I used the template to fix the track separation, but when I tested with Mk3 coaches on each line, they just made contact - 1st step was to remove the inner track, using pretty much the same technique as the point, though I made sure I made the cuts on straight sections of line

With the lines in full possession, the PWD was able to park up its favourite Stove to act as a mess room for the gang

Track removed, all that remained was to ensure that the trackbed was all cleaned up and devoid of the old PVA

I would like to say it was good planning, but once I allowed for the curve, the replacement track section was just shorter than a yard of track!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1938 on: November 15, 2017, 11:58:15 am »
That looks great!
I reckon you need a handle for that razor saw, though, as it looks hugely uncomfortable to use :ouch:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1939 on: November 15, 2017, 12:20:29 pm »
Thanks Mick... I do have the handle... but with it attached it puts too much of an angle on the blade... was not too uncomfortable  :'(

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1940 on: November 16, 2017, 09:01:37 am »
Track all nicely set, didn't need much adjustment and not too troubled by the wider gap as this section will all be under hillside in the scheme of things

No more holding breath when trains approach each other on opposing main lines :)

What I like about having lots to do on the layout is being able to jump from job to job, and just the diversity of it all, but all the while it moves it slowly along to completion.  From tracklaying to painting, the snow has gone, well most of it... built up a bit more of the tunnel mouth and profile around edges of lift out panel

With my new electronics guru onboard, I finally embarked on a job I have been putting off ... fitting point motors!  I have had this on the to do list for a while, and now I have all the track laid and several points in awkward locations, it was time to start the automation phase... at this point I should say... on all the layouts I have had (this one is my 4th) ... I have not had a point on my layouts that was not hand operated, so it is a bit of a new area for me

First step was to set up a separate bus for them, I had a spare circuit breaker, so I used that.  Before I got too far into it, I wanted to work out how I actually set these up, I made the decision to use DCC Concepts Cobalt IP Digital last year and have a couple of dozen on the shelf ready to go. brave new world... here I come!

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1941 on: November 16, 2017, 09:09:16 am »
Ah.....now you are onto electronics - an area of complete mystery and bewilderment to me (and something in which my interest hovers around the 0% mark).
However, I wish you luck with it - Iím sure itíll all end up working perfectly.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1942 on: November 16, 2017, 12:56:26 pm »
Thanks Martin, you're not going to like the next batch of updates then!  It features a lot of little blue boxes and terrible wiring!

I will have to reach out to the forum to solve my 3rd track problem.... even the cleverest K9 is stumped

My plans have been disrupted a bit, so might be some disruption to my updates, I am having to leave work early (today), fly back tomorrow night to Edinburgh, then get on a flight Sunday morning to Abu Dhabi, then on to Perth, got an awful family situation down there that we need to go and help support, will only be there for a week, always wanted to visit Oz, but not in these circumstances    :(

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #1943 on: November 16, 2017, 02:07:14 pm »
Ah.....now you are onto electronics - an area of complete mystery and bewilderment to me (and something in which my interest hovers around the 0% mark).
However, I wish you luck with it - Iím sure itíll all end up working perfectly.

Ah yes, Martin, I can recognise this point of view.  For me, maybe not complete mystery and bewilderment, but certainly 0% fixed interest.  Exactly the same, in my view, as for Association Football! 
Electronics are fine if safely imprisoned in a box that says 'Hammant & Morgan' or 'Gaugemaster', but they are not allowed to run free on my train set.  Electrical things I can enjoy at times, but electronics: no.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1944 on: November 16, 2017, 02:44:18 pm »

My plans have been disrupted a bit, so might be some disruption to my updates, I am having to leave work early (today), fly back tomorrow night to Edinburgh, then get on a flight Sunday morning to Abu Dhabi, then on to Perth, got an awful family situation down there that we need to go and help support, will only be there for a week, always wanted to visit Oz, but not in these circumstances    :(

That doesn't sound good, but I do hope your support is appreciated :uneasy:

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1945 on: November 16, 2017, 04:49:42 pm »
Thanks Martin, you're not going to like the next batch of updates then!  It features a lot of little blue boxes and terrible wiring!

I will have to reach out to the forum to solve my 3rd track problem.... even the cleverest K9 is stumped

I do hope that everything is ok Andrew.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1946 on: November 16, 2017, 08:12:04 pm »

I do hope that everything is ok Andrew.

Seconded. That does sound serious, Andrew. I do hope that you have a safe journey and are able to help when you get there.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1947 on: November 17, 2017, 01:16:09 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, we have a family member in Perth who has been on life support the past 2 weeks, she is not responding and the signs are not good.

Before the onset of electronics, some more scenics done on the golf course using static grasses

some shots from the hot air balloon of Austin Spindler

Low flying, but he is pretty silent & there are no golfers yet to annoy

After a bit of test, retest, test again... I finally fitted my first one

I chose these two as my starting place as they are easy to get access to

Others quicky followed, but the access challenges increased!  I would like to say it was all meticulously planned to give precise locations.... but ..... I am relying on luck so far!

I had to trim the packers on the right hand one to create space (razor saw with handle this time)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1948 on: November 17, 2017, 01:26:02 pm »
Thanks for the latest update, Andrew. I will definitely try static grass, now; at least, on the front embankment along the estuary beach. Maybe, in the New Year?

Very sorry to read about your relative. I do hope you receive better, news.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #1949 on: November 17, 2017, 01:58:34 pm »
Thanks John,

If you were there under duress in the early to mid eighties then I am mighty envious, that was most definitely their hey day and I wasn't attending games then

More than once, I have laid points, thinking all the connectors are engaged, only to come back later and find a bit of misalignment!

My mum's knitting days are behind her now, so his chances of getting a new hat are slim :)

Early 'eighties indeed, Andrew.  Here's evidence of my tedium.  And one was in Glasgow as well.  I had banished that from my mind until now.  I had abuse shouted at me on one occasion by a group of excited Aberdonian chaps - I don't know why.  Somebody tried to explain but it was all beyond me.

John

I can see both grounds across the river from me, due to the demise of my own team I will be visiting neither this season unless I accompany a particular 'buddy' of mine.

SWMBO did treat me to tickets when Barca played pre-season at Tannadice a couple of years ago. Few too many angry young men around there these days so I tend to avoid going anyway.  Maybe next season  ;)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here