!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: LMS by the seaside - Milliedale - on - sea  (Read 5001 times)

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: LMS by the seaside - Milliedale - on - sea
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2017, 08:18:33 am »
I agree wholeheartedly with Bealman.
If it looks good to the eye then it's ok. I have two sea walls on my layouts and both are different heights but to me look ok.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Yet_Another

• N Gauge Society Number: 25847
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2017, 09:18:15 am »
In reality, the answer is probably 'it depends'.

Here are some things off the top of my head that might affect it:

- The height of the foreshore above or below Mean High Water (MHW) upon which the wall is built
- The difference in height between Mean Low Water and Mean High Water (this can vary dramatically)
- Likelihood of exposure to storm surges/extreme storms (north west facing coastline)
- The value of the land behind the sea wall (eg. a once in 50 year flood might be acceptable for low value land)

So as others have said, if there are any walls around the area you're modelling, take a look at them, but only build what looks right.

Tony

'Things are not done by those who count the cost of every thought or deed.'

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2017, 12:27:06 pm »
Thanks everyone,

The issue I'm having is two-fold and discussing it helps it become clearer what these are:

1) making the sea wall higher takes up space for ramps / stairs onto the beach, possibly making the scene appear cramped, this also possibly causes issues with head-room for the railway itself due to the ceiling height in the loft.

2) it needs to work to look right which makes it right, either the pier ends up cutting the beach in half except at low tide due to head height, allowing a lower ground level giving more height over the layout at the back. I think someone needs to be able to, or appear able to walk under the pier.

The Lancashire coast can get pretty stormy:

We're North of Blackpool & Fleetwood but south of Carnforth, Heysham etc

As you can see, Milliedale on Sea is quite forgotten about today!

an archive picture from our neighbour resort further down the coast give an idea about the interaction between pier and beach

You can't get under the pier to walk along except at lower tides, and at really low tide you could walk out almost to the end of the pier - question is, while this feels normal when you're on the beach yourself, will it look right on a model?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:37:49 pm by Black Sheep »

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2017, 10:14:09 pm »
So, as part of working out heights etc I've started creating the trackbed,

This has been placed roughly where it's going to be height-wise

Next task is to build a sea wall and some mock-ups
I've got a fair idea of the height I want to go with, so we'll see where we get to.

need to work out wiring and finish building the controller!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2017, 05:23:12 am »
Thanks for the update.
That looks a fascinating building bottom right. Can I ask what it is please?

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2017, 08:10:52 pm »
Hi,

The bridge is a KS Laser one, actually based on one by Oxford Road station, Manchester which I tend to park my bike under when we go on a work night out in a nearby bar!

The building next to it is a GF Scenecraft Hampton Lodge but when it's in the box you see the other side with the tower tucked in the back corner of the box.

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2017, 06:17:54 am »
Really nice and I have a place for one but I can only find it in 00, which is a shame!  :(

Dave G

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2017, 11:56:22 am »
grrrr, the board I cut at the weekend has warped, it's a cross between banked corner and helix which is a bit odd, can't decide if it has to be thrown or can be flattened out again / braced straight

This section doesn't need to have clear areas under it as there's no viaduct at this point...

suggestions please

Offline Nik96

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2017, 12:19:48 pm »
It may be worth the added bracing all over unless this area is particularly "Underbraced".

As to replacement its worth trying to rebrace to see if it'll work.

Though as it's quite early in the build it may be worth replacing it and adding extra braces to prolong the future of your layout.

I've just realised how un useful that was
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2017, 12:37:39 pm »
Haven't looked back to see if you mentioned what materials you were using but unless it's a real pain to do, physically or financially, I think I'd replace the board.

My attempts to straighten out boards that have decided to curl have met with failure but just maybe if I'd doubled the battens size from 2"x1" it may have worked.

Hope you get it sorted and sorry if I'm no help or comfort!  :(

Dave G

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2017, 05:19:37 pm »
Haven't looked back to see if you mentioned what materials you were using but unless it's a real pain to do, physically or financially, I think I'd replace the board.

My attempts to straighten out boards that have decided to curl have met with failure but just maybe if I'd doubled the battens size from 2"x1" it may have worked.

Hope you get it sorted and sorry if I'm no help or comfort!  :(

Dave G

The baseboards themselves are fine, they're 9mm laser cut ply, it's the 9mm ply I cut over the weekend for the trackbed, it's not attached to anything at the moment so deciding if it's warped this quickly do I want to go ahead and fix it to supports or scrap it and try and get some that doesn't warp

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2017, 06:55:15 pm »
Apologies for misunderstanding the problem.

I think I'd still want to try and find a more stable material.

Perhaps those here that have better knowledge can advise you.

Dave G

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2017, 12:31:43 pm »
There's been a slight pause on construction (as you've noticed) while I wait and see what happens with the plywood already cut.

Work has continued on the church at work and also on the electronics (need to test parts and continue building) both of which will feature in due course.

one of the ends has kind of ski-ramped in the final inch of the board which is simply not going to be good enough so I have been considering my route forwards from here.

two options really are open to me, better quality plywood, letting it settle in the room before cutting but this would involve it not being flat during the settling time and carted up and down two lots of stairs to settle, down to cut, up to fit.

this would allow me to go with my original plan of the trackbed being removable to be able to work on the underside electronics on a workbench instead of crawling under a rather low layout.

my other thought is to use 12mm foam board. I used to model in 5-6mm foam board when I did a transport and product design course at uni (before finishing in graphics) and know a solid result can be achieved. Track would have to be glued instead of pinned and point motors would require some plywood gluing to the underside to ensure screw holes for the motors didn't grow with time (using servos so not thumping across and back)

the removing the trackbed option may not be as possible with this but I'm sure I could make some locating dowels and simply have a friction fit.

any thoughts welcome

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2017, 09:29:43 am »
Hi Black Sheep,

Just checking in after posting on your other thread so I don't lose track (no pun).

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Buffin

• N Gauge Society Number: 27205
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2017, 09:56:24 am »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00