!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: LMS by the seaside - Milliedale - on - sea  (Read 4998 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: LMS by the seaside - Milliedale - on - sea
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 07:59:17 pm »

Hey if I can do it anyone can.

Does that mean I have another victim, sorry I mean volunteer for the operating crew  :D

Sure, might only be able to do one day but if it's of help then I'm up for it.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 08:27:01 pm »

Hey if I can do it anyone can.

Does that mean I have another victim, sorry I mean volunteer for the operating crew  :D

Sure, might only be able to do one day but if it's of help then I'm up for it.

Not a problem, we may even get you a Foster Street - crew shirt

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 11:11:24 pm »
So, it's taken some time, and sorry for lack of updates. I've been better at keeping RMweb updated but not so much in recent months (it also seems to have gone quiet over there)

Planning to spend a bit more time here now that I'm making progress on the layout.

So, a quick run through, the idea is to run from left to right going from a rural-ish feel, through suburbs and industrial into commercial town centre a little bit like the excellent 'Frankland' does (If you've not seen Frankland, go search it out and have a look!)

So, the left hand end is a cliff since Millideale on Sea sits in a bay nestled between cliff tops somewhere on the Lancashire coast - we're not entirely sure where as we used to arrive by train to stay at Auntie Norah's for our week's summer holiday and this layout is built out of fond memories after the war was won and the country was doing well at finding it's feet (well it would be if I was actually old enough, I was born far far too late to enjoy steam on the mainline but hey)

now, where was I? Oh, yes, at the left hand side is the cliff overlooking the bay, Mr Butlin has put in an application to build some chalets, whatever those are, on the cliff top and a funicular railway down to the spa centre, as we follow the promenade along the front we find a frontage of tall, bay windowed guest houses, reaching the station hotel and the driveway up to the station. Beyond this and past the pier there's the theatre which also shows some moving pictures and then duck under the railway to head inland into the town past the gasworks.

Instead of turning into town we can turn left at the gasometer and, with the goods yard and station to our left we can head along, passing shops in front of the locomotive depot on our right and short, stubby terraced streets to our left we soon pass the Black Sheep brewery, a factory, school and church, (behind which the marshalling yard sits) before finally coming to Simon Services garage on the junction where we can turn back under the railway to the spa, or up the hill to see what on earth a chalet is!

In terms of operation of the layout, all is on show, the loco depot intended to house all locomotives not on duty and occasionally playing host to excursion trains from the LNER (we're deeply in LMS country here) next to the depot is the marshalling yard housing and sorting all manor of freight as it passes north and south along the secondary route on the Lancashire / Cumbrian coast (left is North towards the Lakes and Scotland, right is South towards Blackpool, Liverpool and Manchester)

moving North of the marshalling yard we head into a cutting (and later a tunnel) with a branch heading into a tunnel far sooner than the lines in the cutting.

Moving West to the seafront two lines from the North exit the tunnel into the station, you may have noticed a line in the station that is simply a siding - this is a relief siding in which excursion trains can be tucked if there is no space for them in the bays.

Speaking of the bays, this is the original station build by the Victorian railway companies bringing passengers from Manchester, it was only slightly later that the through platforms were built. The bays will be operated as shunt relief, either by a pilot or by the new working.

East of the station is the new goods yard as the old goods yard was built over by the expansion of the station.

So, any questions / suggestions etc, feel free :)

The layout is 15ft x 3ft spread over 4 Tim Horn baseboards (1x 3ft x 3ft, 3x 3ft x 4ft)

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 08:19:59 am »
Very well thought out :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 11:14:56 am »
I like the era, location and track plan but most of all the idea of the Black Sheep brewery.
Put me down for a visit please :pint: ;)

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 12:41:52 pm »
There was a layout "Milliedale Brew Lane" that I started on, re-started on after my toddler learnt to climb onto the glass topped coffee table and has sat on it's shelf doing not a lot for quite some time, I'm planning on just re-using the buildings from that.

The chimney does have the name down it, might add Fred at some point :)

why Black Sheep when the real brewery is in not in Lancashire?

I like the beer, which is from Yorkshire, like myself, except I live in Lancashire (actually Gtr Manchester)

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 01:07:06 pm »

why Black Sheep when the real brewery is in not in Lancashire?

I like the beer, which is from Yorkshire, like myself, except I live in Lancashire (actually Gtr Manchester)

I've taken on a few pints of Black Sheep in my life.........................and lost.
I was getting excited about you possibly building a brewery in Lancashire (which is where I live) but I guess the War of the Roses will probably put paid to that notion!
I'll just have to make do with a 'Black Sheep' mirror hanging in my hallway.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 05:32:33 pm »
I've taken on a few pints of Black Sheep in my life.........................and lost.
I was getting excited about you possibly building a brewery in Lancashire (which is where I live) but I guess the War of the Roses will probably put paid to that notion!
I'll just have to make do with a 'Black Sheep' mirror hanging in my hallway.

I was introduced to real ale by my girlfriend of the time, Millie (now my wife) with a selection of beers which I sampled in ascending order of alcohol volume, finishing with a pint of Riggwelter :)

I don't have a Black Sheep mirror in my hallway, but I do have one removed from the Wharf Cottage in Ilkley from when my in-laws used to run it, it's likely the layout will have a fair few pubs on it taking their names from pubs run by the in-laws just to see if my mother in law notices :)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 10:21:23 pm »
 :hellosign: From another Yorkshire man who has moved even further. Excellent plan look forward to developments
regards Derek.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 10:34:31 pm »
And here's another Yorkshireman who has moved even further. I was stationed in Ilkley for a few years in the late 70's and early 80's. Was the Wharfe Cottage just down the Skipton Road from the traffic lights, (memory is going a bit these days  :)).  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 11:26:24 pm »
And here's another Yorkshireman who has moved even further. I was stationed in Ilkley for a few years in the late 70's and early 80's. Was the Wharfe Cottage just down the Skipton Road from the traffic lights, (memory is going a bit these days  :)).  :beers:

I couldn't tell you where it was unfortunately as I didn't know them then.
They used to do Allo Allo nights and rocky horror nights etc

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 09:54:01 pm »
Baseboards are built!!!!!!

Need to lay out some buildings and get a feel for where and how things will fit.

Should I be creating a build topic to continue on from here? What is the etiquette here?

I'll continue the technical side of things here I guess or just do the lot here?

What to do?

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 09:28:45 am »
You are no longer planning but are now constructing so I would put everything from now into a new thread in the 'Layout Construction' section

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 05:05:01 pm »
I will do so in due course then, currently need to lay the plan out on the boards and do some sketch modeling so the two topics may run in parallel for a month or two :)

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 06:02:16 pm »
I will do so in due course then, currently need to lay the plan out on the boards and do some sketch modeling so the two topics may run in parallel for a month or two :)

Get some modelling done

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything