!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Maunsell N Class sound install  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Farish Maunsell N Class sound install
« on: August 22, 2015, 03:18:32 pm »
Managed to put some sound into my N Class loco this weekend using a Zimo MX648 with sounds from John at Youchoos.

Fairly easy install compared to some of my recent challenges although some modification to the tender is needed which will invalidate your guarantee of course.  Usual disclaimer about any damage you cause to your own loco.

The tender just unclips and underneath is the DCC/DC board, this needs to be removed by undoing the small screws to release the board.  You can then unsolder the wires to completely release the board.  Both sets of wires are coded red and black but the two wires on the tags that go to the tender wheel pickups are the DCC rail input and go to the red and black wires of the decoder.  The other two wires that poke up through the bottom of the tender are these that connect to the orange and grey wires of the decoder,  red to the orange and black to the grey to get the polarity right.

As well as removing the metal dummy coal load you also need to remove the dummy plastic nearly empty load version that lies underneath it.  I did this with a sharp scalpel from inside the top of the tender, gently keep scoring, don't try and do it one go or you will deform the tender.

You will need to shorten the red, black, orange, grey and the two purple speaker wires quite considerably so they don't take up too much room in the tender as things are a little tight on height.  I ran the common positive (blue), the forward lamp (white) and the aux3 firebox glow (green) wires through the bottom of the tender.  I had intended to use these all the way to the various lamps but as I was unable to remove the body from the loco itself plan B came into operation. 

Plan B.  Instead of the various coloured wires I added some fine enamelled copper wire to the shortened blue, white and green wires through the base of the tender instead.  This allowed me to run the wires to the firebox glow and on the underside of the running boards either side of the loco to get to the hidden front lights (more on these later).

Here's how it all fits into the tender, make sure you have the tags of the speaker towards the front of the loco or it makes the middle coal load of the tender too high.

You need to make a dummy coal load to cover the gaping hole where the speaker and decoder sit, you will also need to add some weight into the vacant area behind the speaker to ensure the tender pickups work ok.  For the coal I just use some very thin black card cut to size and then folded into a little box.  I did the same for the weight and filled the made up box with liquid gravity and PVA.

Once in position apply a little PVA glue and sprinkle real or synthetic coal onto the cardboard.

I used an amber LED in the firebox connected to the blue and green wires (enamelled copper substitute) and used a 2k smd resistor to keep the brightness down.  With the configuration I have pressing F4 runs the coaling sound and activates the firebox glow.

As I run my trains in the dark sometimes, I like to see where they are and fit running lamps to the locos and guards van or coach but the Southern locos have disc head codes during the day which I believe are sometimes substituted at night for lamps.  To overcome the problem of changing discs for lamps I drilled a fine hole in the centre of the head code disc and glued a 0603 smd led to the back of the disc (2k resistor) with the wires going to the blue and white wires (again the enamelled copper substitutes).  Once all was ok I used some black acrylic on the back of the discs and leds to block out extraneous light.  I then added some white paint to the front of the disk to cover the hole and make the hole invisible so that the light is only visible in the dark.

Finally I added the crew

Here's the regulation video to show it all working.  Sorry if it sounds a bit tinnie but it is that my camera phone mic is not very good.  Must get a new battery for my video camera.  :(

http://youtu.be/fVfsQgcgD1k
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:53:04 pm by Caz, Reason: typo »

Offline John YouChoos

• Awards
Re: Farish Maunsell N Class sound install
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 08:09:50 pm »
Great one Caz - always love what you do with your installs - the lighting is really special!

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 11:20:14 pm »
Nice one, Caz. I was expecting to see steam coming from the injectors when it started off. Very realistic, especially the firebox glow.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 07:39:08 pm »
Thanks Dave, John and Malc, at least someone appreciates my efforts.   :(

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 08:50:36 pm »
I think it's amazing  :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:05:16 pm »
I didn't include a picture of the disc head codes because the original one I took was out of focus so here's what they look like, the lights are on and you can just make them out in the centre of the discs but at night they show more clearly.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 10:54:38 am »
That's a great-looking MPD but you really need to get planning permission to push that sky back on the left and get your locos a bit more stabling room!

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 01:54:35 pm »
Brilliant work, very impressive. Graham

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:50:35 pm »
That's a great-looking MPD but you really need to get planning permission to push that sky back on the left and get your locos a bit more stabling room!

Unless I demolish the wall and make the railway room extremely draft I can't push the sky back.   :(

But I have started work on the semi low relief roundhouse, still got the roof and internal fittings etc to do but at least I've made a start.  Hope to find a back scene to blend in with the roof line etc.   :)

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 08:37:36 pm »
I always appreciate your work CAZ I think your work is amazing and I wish that I could model things to your standard , How you manage to squeeze sound systems into almost any loco is unbelievable, I know I couldn't .
Bob

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 11:24:24 am »
Just wow, Caz! Since watching your video of your Pannier sound fitted, I have been itching to sound fit/have sound fit to a loco. I have to say that this is even more impressive (especially since I have been considering ordering a loco specifically to sound fit/have sound fit and the N Class is on my "to buy" list...). Thanks very much for the video :) Your efforts are certainly appreciated here!
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline Waz

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 10:24:16 am »
Hi @Caz which speaker did you use for this as I'm about to undertake this but a bit unsure about which is the best speaker option.

Many thanks

Waz

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything