Class 22

Started by port perran, December 01, 2011, 09:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

I believe I heard a rumour that either Dapol or GF would be releasing a Class 22 (D63XX) in the long term.
Anyone any further info on this ?
One of these would lokk great on my Cornish Branch Line.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: port perran on December 01, 2011, 09:52:19 PM
I believe I heard a rumour that either Dapol or GF would be releasing a Class 22 (D63XX) in the long term.

Dapol are doing one in OO, but not yet N although hopefully that'll be released sometime. I've got an N scale class 22 Dapol Dave sent me running on Wadebridge.

However before anyone wonders wtf - it's the resin kit ones he did before he joined Dapol  ;D. They are a bit hard to find now, and the alternative is the etched scratch aid from Worsley Works (very nice it is too although if you are really fussy it could do with the grilles raising in relief).

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on December 01, 2011, 09:52:19 PM

I also heard that Dapol are going to shrink the 00 version - can't wait, especially if it's a good as the 26

bluedepot

can we see a pic etched?

on a related issue, kind of, when did the first diesels run rail tours on british rail? did preserved diesels, classes withdrawn in the 1970s, come back to run tours? or just fair well specials before withdrawal?

cheers

tim

EtchedPixels

Sorry for the delay but my camera isn't great (nor the operator !) and it's been about the first sunny day I've had a moment to grab a shot

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Hi EP - those china clays look like the ones I got from Mevagissey models - are they one and the same?
Nice 22! :thumbsup:

Dock Shunter

Fine piece of work EP.... :thumbsup:
I can only hope Dapol will make this model to go with my 121s..... :thumbsup:
And that Newport Nobby will be giving me his rake of China Clays for Christmas..... :angel: ;)

EtchedPixels

Quote from: newportnobby on December 09, 2011, 12:41:31 PM
Hi EP - those china clays look like the ones I got from Mevagissey models - are they one and the same?
Nice 22! :thumbsup:

They are indeed Mevagissy ones. I have some rather more accurate kit ones I've built but need to locate suitable decals and paints for (seems they were redder than bauxite). That'll also let me fix the hoods which for the period the 22's ran should of course be flat covers.

bluedepot

cheers for the pic!

although i'm modelling the 80s and 90s, i am sometimes tempted by the earlier diesels... but must resist to save money!!! must only buy items necessary for my layout unless i win the lottery!!!!

what rarer diesel or electric locos would people like the see made in rtr??? i'd like a class 71/74 electro-diesel!!!! it would go well with all the 3rd rail stuff that's the craze now.... a class 22 is pretty good as well though... and maybe a 28 would be good too, seeing as they just made one in OO...

Tim

Newportnobby

I think the problem with the MetroVick 28 is the small size of the class and the very limited location it was seen in. For that reason, I don't think we'll ever see an off the shelf Baby Deltic either :(

EtchedPixels

Quote from: bluedepot on December 09, 2011, 06:15:41 PM
what rarer diesel or electric locos would people like the see made in rtr??? i'd like a class 71/74 electro-diesel!!!! it would go well with all the 3rd rail stuff that's the craze now.... a class 22 is pretty good as well though... and maybe a 28 would be good too, seeing as they just made one in OO...

They seem to be slowly filling out. I've got 71 and 74s  (kit built) and also a 28 (Ian Stoate kit). The 28 is actually not too hard to build. It uses a class 31 chassis with the bogie one end swapped for a class 20 bogie. The chassis mods are thus not much scarier than servicing a UK build pre-Bachmann chassis.

The baby deltic was btw sort of done RTR - it was one of the two models Lone Star did to 2mm scale in the 1960s (the other was a 24).

Alan

Newportnobby

Quote from: EtchedPixels on December 09, 2011, 08:22:36 PM
Quote from: bluedepot on December 09, 2011, 06:15:41 PM

The baby deltic was btw sort of done RTR - it was one of the two models Lone Star did to 2mm scale in the 1960s (the other was a 24).

Alan

And probably as rare as a Newportnobby brain cell ??? :smiley-laughing:

bluedepot

sorry to ask this again, but did any of these less successful / early withdrawn diesels then then entered preservation come back onto the mainline and do charters? if yes, what year did these first start, what locos etc???? anyone know?

cheers

tim

EtchedPixels

Perhaps you should try asking as a new thread in the relevant section - quite possibly those who know are not going to read about class 22s (which never btw got preserved due to a cockup at Swindon)

bluedepot

yes good idea

i'll try starting another thread

i suspect westerns were maybe the first to run, and possible not any north british or anything else... anyway who knows...

cheers

tim

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations