!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any-upon-Ware  (Read 25438 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Any-upon-Ware
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2015, 02:56:01 pm »
Looking very good. Time spent planning such a complex layout will not be wasted, I'm sure. Even when you begin tracklaying allow for any changes once you've actually begun testing it!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2015, 06:54:37 pm »
  :hellosign: Thanks for looking Chris, your advice will be well heeded, I am always on the lookout for my silly mistakes. Also a big thank you for part in the  N. Cornwall tales, very entertaining.
regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2015, 07:16:59 pm »
  :hellosign: Thanks for looking Chris, your advice will be well heeded, I am always on the lookout for my silly mistakes. Also a big thank you for part in the  N. Cornwall tales, very entertaining.
regards Derek.

:thankyousign: My pleasure, Derek. Cant Cove is a very simple layout but I spent a LOT of time organising the track layout, on paper, first, and it is, largely, based on a former station on the Bude line so I was NOT starting from scratch. The more time you spend running trains on your proposed layout before you fix all the track down the better, in my opinion, as with something so complex I'm sure that you'll find details you'll want to change. Scenery can be added as you 'sign off' each section! 8-) There's nothing worse than ripping up track, damaging points, and demolishing scenery!

Cant Cove was always meant to have a very detailed back story and, eventually, the 'Little People' (most of them already bought) will appear / reappear (some I cannot find, at present). I write the stories really for my own amusement and interest (doing the research, online, is easy; plus, at home, I have many books.)

When you're ready for 'through' running we'll be very happy for you to join in, if you wish, and are modelling some time period from the late 1950s to late 1960s! 8-)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2015, 09:24:08 pm »
 :hellosign: Chris &   :thankyousign: as I live in Cornwall it would be fun to join in, however at the moment I cannot decide on a era or location to model. Keep up the good work  :beers:
regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2015, 09:33:00 pm »
:hellosign: Chris &   :thankyousign: as I live in Cornwall it would be fun to join in, however at the moment I cannot decide on a era or location to model. Keep up the good work  :beers:
regards Derek.

:thankyousign: Derek. The location is not so important as we can run enthusiast specials and special goods trains but the period is more important. I go from the BR Crimson & Cream Early Crest through to the early BR Blue & Grey (Blue D locos.) period. John (Claverdon) does, too.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2015, 10:53:13 pm »

:thankyousign: Derek. The location is not so important as we can run enthusiast specials and special goods trains but the period is more important. I go from the BR Crimson & Cream Early Crest through to the early BR Blue & Grey (Blue D locos.) period. John (Claverdon) does, too.
[/quote]

:hellosign: Thanks Chris, I have a varied rosta from around the world & like most early diesels & some steam so as my ideas develop I will give this some deep thought  :thankyousign:

regards Derek.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2015, 11:28:53 pm »
I too will be attempting to participate in this project from a fictitious location at the Birmingham end of things.  :thumbsup:
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2015, 12:49:13 am »
   :hellosign: Railsquid, look forward to developments , I feel some changes to my track plan may happen soon  :hmmm:
regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2016, 08:13:14 pm »
Any upon ware one
Any upon ware one

:hellosign: Everybody, took a lot of thinking what I really want from a model railway, quite possibly I have finally achieved my goal.  No 1 is space to run long fast trains, No 2 the large stations are on view storage, I don`t think I want a fiddle yard, No 3 lots of running line so we plan to go upward, the A is to next level & most importantly to be built in sections to allow running trains sooner :claphappy:  There will be space to add LRV/ Tram line under the centre station if desired. I think Kato track is my way forward & still like the idea of Ikea shelving, especially the legs, Celotex has many fans on the forum so sounds good for narrow or odd shaped boards. Thanks for looking & please feel free to comment or suggest
regards Derek. 

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2016, 10:49:30 pm »
modular one
modular one

:hellosign: All, really put the thinking cap on  :doh: & came up with my latest  :idea: The shape stays the same but I think making better use. The whole layout is going modular, more space on the bottom sections & less on the centre so still have walk around space. Also thinking would it be a good idea to have the narrow sections on brackets attached to the walls? Any comments and/or suggestions always welcome, thanks for looking
regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 07:28:56 am »
Each iteration looks better than the last, Derek. My only comment would be to ensure that the visible curves (except, maybe, on the branchline?) are as gentle as possible and even hidden curves should be no tighter than they have to be, given the space you have. Being able to walk around the centre of the layout easily is, definitely, a big advantage. Having the narrow sections attached on brackets to the walls might well make sense.

Offline TylerB

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 07:25:38 pm »
Interesting design, I've only skipped through the previous designs so I apologize if this has been covered, but, are all lines going to be bi-directional or are you going to be running things as if it were a double/quadruple track main line, i.e having up and down lines, fasts and slows or whatever?

I noticed in an earlier thread you mentioned something about only running one train at a time, this seems a bit of a shame on a layout as extensive as this, if it was me I would love to see the four track bits being used all four lines at the same time, like the busy bits of the West or East Coast Main Line, have fast expresses overtaking slower coal trains while a local service passes by in the opposite direction, and a light loco idles on the slow line etc.

But nice to see that you are developing the idea, I suppose one advantage of using mostly Kato track is that you can lay it all out and get it running before you need to fix it down, therefore you can adapt the plan and move tracks around if you find bits aren't working how you would hope?

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2016, 07:37:52 pm »
I like it Derek.
As I think I said before, it is a good plan to be able to have a continuous run for when you want to sit and watch trains pass by with the option of each one reversing into the fiddle yard to be replaced by a different one. Plus, of course, you are accommodating a very good sized terminus station.
Very much looking forward to developments.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2016, 10:48:57 pm »
Each iteration looks better than the last, Derek. My only comment would be to ensure that the visible curves (except, maybe, on the branchline?) are as gentle as possible and even hidden curves should be no tighter than they have to be, given the space you have. Being able to walk around the centre of the layout easily is, definitely, a big advantage. Having the narrow sections attached on brackets to the walls might well make sense.
:hellosign: Chris, your good advice is really appreciated I plan to use curves no less than 315mm & there won't be too many hidden thanks for looking
regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2016, 11:01:53 pm »
Interesting design, I've only skipped through the previous designs so I apologize if this has been covered, but, are all lines going to be bi-directional or are you going to be running things as if it were a double/quadruple track main line, i.e having up and down lines, fasts and slows or whatever?

I noticed in an earlier thread you mentioned something about only running one train at a time, this seems a bit of a shame on a layout as extensive as this, if it was me I would love to see the four track bits being used all four lines at the same time, like the busy bits of the West or East Coast Main Line, have fast expresses overtaking slower coal trains while a local service passes by in the opposite direction, and a light loco idles on the slow line etc.

But nice to see that you are developing the idea, I suppose one advantage of using mostly Kato track is that you can lay it all out and get it running before you need to fix it down, therefore you can adapt the plan and move tracks around if you find bits aren't working how you would hope?

:hellosign:TylerB, thanks for looking the original idea is to have 2 long mainlines that are end to end but with loops for continuous running. I have been thinking of DC only but your comments about quad tracks make me thinking again. Kato track is so easy to work with so can't see that changing
regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here