!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any-upon-Ware  (Read 25306 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Any-upon-Ware
« Reply #390 on: November 12, 2017, 12:01:35 am »
 :hellosign: No problem Chris, West Porthsea Quay is on the South Coast about 2 miles East of Penzance. Interesting a Hoverport terminal, look forward to more.
    regards Derek.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #391 on: November 12, 2017, 12:47:14 am »
Hi Derek,

The hoverport will only serve local islands and Jersey/Guernsey but will be round the point from Port Regleun and will have a terminus station which can be linked with boat trains and train ferry 'through' coaches and wagons from there.

It's an old 5' x 3' (now 6' x 3') layout that I'm resurrecting. Due to the probable house move it's all I can do to perhaps finish (ha ha), nearly finish a layout and have scenarios with proper pics etc. I want Port Regleun to be bigger than this one and can't tear up Izaro at the moment. Too many things up in the air. However, still want the 'through' runnings.

Hope to explain all very soon.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #392 on: November 12, 2017, 08:58:57 am »
:hellosign: No problem Chris, West Porthsea Quay is on the South Coast about 2 miles East of Penzance. Interesting a Hoverport terminal, look forward to more.
    regards Derek.
Thank you for confirming the location Derek.
Can I just ask, does Penzance still exist in your thoughts? Or is Porthsea the end of the line?
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #393 on: November 12, 2017, 09:13:56 am »
Hi Martin,

That's a very good question. Although I love the station at Penzance it would probably help all train operations if it didn't exist methinks maybe, not sure,  :hmmm:

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #394 on: November 12, 2017, 09:45:13 am »
Thanks, Chris (Weave) and Derek. The map is good for showing the lines in Cornwall which really existed plus finding where the additional lines in our 'Alternative Cornwall' are located.

I would imagine that Penzance would still be the end of the (G)WR mainline but some long-distance trains might well terminate at West Porthsea if it was a major town with an important port, stabling sidings and a motive power depot. A connecting auto train or, later, diesel railcar / DMU shuttle, could, off-peak, take passengers to and from West Porthsea. BR WR in the 1960s could then rationalise Penzance and sell off the surplus land.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #395 on: November 12, 2017, 10:10:42 am »
I now have both "Railway Centres: No. 2 EXETER CENTRAL Summer Saturday: 1961" and the larger "Operation Cornwall: Summer Weekday & Summer Saturday Passenger Services: 1957" which covers Plymouth to Penzance and all Cornish branches as well as the editions covering North Cornwall and North Devon (the latter scanned as I sold the actual book). So, I can work out (later) which services would be likely to call at West Porthsea (and connections with them) prior to the major changes in 1962. After 1962, with dieselisation in the Southwest and rationalisation of services and infrastructure, services are greatly reduced. Of course, how reduced is up to us!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #396 on: November 12, 2017, 10:26:45 pm »
    regards Derek.
Thank you for confirming the location Derek.
Can I just ask, does Penzance still exist in your thoughts? Or is Porthsea the end of the line?
:hellosign: A very good point Chris (Weave) & Martin, My original thoughts were to have terminus station with a tramway link to the quayside thinking similar to Weymouth, however I started  :hmmm: again (dangerous) & as I like to watch trains go by when the mood takes me I have arrived at the present plan.
     :hellosign:   Interesting thoughts Chris (IP), making West Porthsea Quay an important port would be very plausible, am  :hmmm: something similar to Paignton, A terminus with a branch line extension. Would be most grateful for suggestions.
      Also look forward to your timetable ideas Chris (IP),
      regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #397 on: November 13, 2017, 07:54:20 am »
Good morning, Derek. If the WR mainline continues from West Porthsea to Penzance, you'll be able to watch trains go by (which is an excellent idea). The question is whether that mainline would be single or double-track between the two towns? That's up to you. But given how close the two towns are, I would expect it to be single-track. However, the mainline from the East into West Porthsea would be likely to be double-track. So, you can have a major through station (where some trains terminate and commence) together with a tramway link to the quayside, similar to Weymouth.

Based on trains timetabled to / from Penzance and Truro, I can work out the times of trains at West Porthsea around the late 1950s / early 1960s period.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #398 on: November 13, 2017, 09:25:48 pm »
 :hellosign: & good evening Chris, thanks for your detailed suggestions. I agree the main line East will definitly be double track, still mulling over single or double to Penzance. As you rightly point out 2 mile single track would be most likely, certainly after Beechings Axe. Will have a updated station plan soon.
           regards Derek.

Online Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: November 13, 2017, 09:31:24 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this develop into reality. The local preservation group here were talking about a rail trip France and eventually Spain and thinking about next year as a possibility.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #400 on: November 13, 2017, 09:42:17 pm »
 :hellosign: good evening Brian, will sure try to make this happen, sooner the better. Not a lot of spare time at the moment but I do look forward to through running & we certainly woudn`t want to disappoint the preservation group
      regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #401 on: November 13, 2017, 10:02:32 pm »

:hellosign: Just a small adjustment to the station plan sees a short extension to the bottom platform & the West bound track is now singled
    regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #402 on: November 14, 2017, 08:42:40 pm »
Thanks for the latest update, Derek. There is plenty of operating interest with this station. The time period that you plan to set West Porthsea in will have a big effect on the timetable planning.

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #403 on: November 15, 2017, 07:59:45 pm »
Hi Derek,
Just a small suggestion, rather than having the crossover in the platform for the link to the turntable line, how about using a left hand and right hand point as shown in my dodgy edited copy of your plan?  Only a suggestion of course, but does avoid having a turnout in the platform.

John

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #404 on: November 15, 2017, 10:52:47 pm »
 :hellosign: Many thanks John (25901JFM),  I will have a serious   :hmmm: about moving the crossover as it would gain valuable space on the platforms
     regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything