!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any-upon-Ware  (Read 25437 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Any-upon-Ware
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 07:06:09 pm »
 :thankyousign: Railsquid, I had not thought about the extra lighting that would be needed for under shelving, I agree LED strip light or similar will be needed.
  regards Derek.

Online GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 11:00:57 am »
Just to add to Railsquid's measurements, on my current layout, I decided to have the baseboards entirely within the uprights so I could run a backscene straight along the back of the layout. Railsquid has taken the other path (as I did on my last layout) and used cutouts to accommodate the uprights and then build scenery round them. You can see this better in this post.  I've ended up with a maximum baseboard width for the main boards of 22.5cm, which is 1cm less than the maximum inner width available so that the boards can, in theory, be twisted onto their sides and removed from within the uprights. Whether I'll ever actually do that now the scenery is taking shape, I doubt! It also means by layout is fully 7.5cm narrower than the uprights would actually accommodate. However, I then found I had to extend backwards to get my return curves in anyway, so I've ended up with a wiggly backscene and a bug ugly arrangement for the loops; I would have liked to use the 50cm shelves but I just don't have the space.

If all that sounds slightly obsessive over the measurements, it was, in order to get the maximum railway in the space available!

Lighting is an issue. I've used Rolson LED lamps, powered off a Maplins transformer rather than batteries, but tbh they're not great - I could do with a more even spread of lighting. I've arranged the lighting so that it's in sections and I can still remove the individual shelves to which it is fixed if I need to. Ikea do a couple of LED lighting strips, including one called Dioder, which looks useful, but like you I live a fair way from an Ikea, so I've not actually seen one for real.
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 11:25:41 am »
Oh, somewhere I got the impression you were using 50cm shelves, maybe I got confused by the return loops (which I don't need as what I'm doing is making an extension from what will be the main layout. It's not designed in any way to be moved so I'm using all the available space and just pretending the uprights aren't there. I might paint the ones at the rear to better match the scenery; the base of one will be disguised by a building.
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 11:34:36 am »
Lighting is an issue. I've used Rolson LED lamps, powered off a Maplins transformer rather than batteries, but tbh they're not great - I could do with a more even spread of lighting. I've arranged the lighting so that it's in sections and I can still remove the individual shelves to which it is fixed if I need to. Ikea do a couple of LED lighting strips, including one called Dioder, which looks useful, but like you I live a fair way from an Ikea, so I've not actually seen one for real.

I've strung up some LED fairy lights from IKEA as they were dirt cheap and I thought they might be useful for lighting structures, but they're a bit clunky for N. Unfortunately they don't really make much difference. I actually need one more shelf plate (they were out of stock last time I went) so I might pop along sometime soon-ish and take a look at their other options (if I time it carefully it's one train ride and one trip on a monorail).

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 01:54:26 pm »
Talking of IKEA shelves, here's a section I customised earlier:

I'll be connecting the main layout with this section, and need some extra height between shelves.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 11:33:48 pm »
 :hellosign: Bruce, thanks for the imput it is really appreciated, if all goes to plan I will be lucky enough to have the space for 500mm shelves.
    :greatpicturessign: Railsquid thanks for sharing & you are so lucky living in Japan.

regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 12:01:57 pm »
   :hellosign:  At last had chance to update SouthEast corner of the LRV/ Tram terminus part of the layout. I have used Anyrail as Scarm has no Kato tram on the track list.
INSPIRED LINES
INSPIRED LINES

The plan is this will be in a mainly office area of a city. The main lines will circle on viaduct. Any/all comments or if anybody sees a glaring error would be very much appreciated. More to follow as I have weekend off :claphappy:
regards Derek.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 12:18:48 pm »
Double track tram return loop? Looks electrically a bit scary. I'd go for a simple dumbell to keep things simple, and also reduce the risk of collisions, but that's just me.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 12:33:43 pm »
  :hellosign:  Railsquid, thanks for the reply. Yes I agree a double return looks electrically interesting but my theory is as I plan to only operate one train at once I am hoping the other track is for layover.  If I have this all wrong I stand to be corrected.    :thankyousign:
regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 07:32:10 pm »
inspired lines
inspired lines

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 07:45:36 pm »
   :hellosign:  Above is the latest version of my track plan. I have finished the LRV/ Tram line but am not totally happy with the station in the return loop. Maybe try using Anyrail & use Tram lines from Tomix although satisfied Kato looks good there again a mix could be the answer. As always any comment or suggestion, good or bad are welcome.
regards Derek. 

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 08:26:49 pm »
Thanks for the updates Derek.
Hopefully, you will soon have a track plan with which you are happy.
Martin
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 08:39:04 pm »
  :hellosign:  Martin, thanks for looking, yes I now believe the plan is really taking shape.
regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 01:02:29 pm »
tomix inspired lines
tomix inspired lines

:hellosign: Thanks Railsquid for the idea of Tomix track. This the latest idea & we now have a tram terminus within a shopping area of a large town, again the main lines circle on viaduct but this is descending clockwise. The rest of the plan remains unchanged as I happy with this. I welcome all comments or suggestions,
regards Derek.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 01:42:25 pm »
Glad to be of help  :D Can I have some of your space?  :'(

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00