!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any-upon-Ware  (Read 26881 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Any-upon-Ware
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2016, 12:54:54 am »
new anywhere one
new anywhere one

:hellosign:  Everybody, home again & the layout gets another update which I think is a big improvement. Most important, the main central board is wider so we have town, tramway, helix & goods avoiding line without going overboard on track. The port goes back as previous, except we now have station on pier, inspired by Ryde. The all important continues loop remains, but with a bridge instead of at grade crossing. The other main board is now two storage yards.
Not shown is the modern line witch will be at least 200mm above but still round the walls from & back to the helix. As always comments are more than welcome & thanks for looking
regards Derek.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2016, 07:55:16 am »
Hi,

Really looking forward to the pier station build. I live in Hampshire now but haven't been to the IOW for a long time. I must go again soon.

Used to go as a young teenager from Surrey and loved the trains on the pier. It was the only thing that kept me going from Ryde beach to the Pompey ferry as my dad always made us walk (said it was good exercise but in hindsight think he'd spent too much money on ice creams  :D).

Plan looks great to me.

Cheers weave
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:30:17 am by weave »

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2016, 08:05:39 am »
I want to see this develop too.  As a boy we used to holiday in IOW.  Train to Brighton, change for Portsmouth Harbour then ferry (or in later years side wall hovercraft) over to Ryde.  Bus or taxi to Guesthouse. 

:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2016, 03:14:40 pm »
 :hellosign: Weave & Greybeena, thanks for looking, we also love the IOW, although always taken the car ferry from Southampton.                                    I hope to create a pier station not too dissimilar to Ryde but am not aiming to make a copy. If all goes to plan should start construction early summer

regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2016, 06:49:45 pm »
Good evening Derek,

Thanks for the latest update. I also remember holidays in the Isle of Wight in the 1960s and Ryde Pier, the trains and the ferries.

I think this latest version combining elements of Weymouth and Ryde should look very good and have plenty of interesting operating possibilities.

I look forward to seeing it develop over the Summer (when I hope to get back to work on Cant Cove).

When you're ready to start receiving 'through' services, some Cornish wagons and vans, including "Castle Estates" will, I'm sure, be on their way. 8-) When you have decided where your port is located, maybe, the ferries will go to Britanny? In which case, through passenger train will travel from North and West Cornwall and the "Chelsea Girls" will come, there, too. 8-)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2016, 08:10:25 pm »
 :hellosign: thanks for looking Chris, I think this could be the plan to go. Looking forward to possible through workings from North Cornwall & further afield.
    Considering possibly a train ferry to add interest but like the plan at present, so many ideas. If all goes to plan will start construction early summer
regards Derek.

i

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2016, 08:44:39 pm »
Thanks, Derek. A train ferry as well might be too much unless it is at the end of the pier?! Goods and containers can be shipped as well as foot passengers into a conventional ferry at the harbourside.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2016, 09:29:42 pm »
 :hellosign: Chris, thanks for your imput, will think again as don`t want to overdo track & latest plan looks good
regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2016, 07:09:28 pm »
port

:hellosign:   Have a had a re-think about the port & the result is above. Keeping all the main features but moving things around makes room for the train ferry, without I think overdoing track. The return loop for continuous running will be hidden under the bay. Thanks for looking & as always comments & suggestions are always welcome
regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2016, 07:34:55 pm »
Many thanks, Derek. Th latest version incorporates the best features from the previous one whilst simplifying the various elements.

I would add a passing loop on the single-track train ferry line near the end so that unloaded wagons can be off-loaded and placed out of the way of those being loaded. The land end of the loop could be extended into a dead-end siding for 'damaged' vehicles requiring attention before onward travel and / or use of the train ferry pilot loco. where its crew could have a mess hut with a bench outside so that they could watch the port whilst enjoying their tea and sandwiches.

I presume that the Container Transhipment area is for ISO containers for modern container ships?

Having the return loop hidden under the bay is an excellent idea but I would not bring its far end up out of the sea (I'm sure I'm badly mis-reading the map) and onto the pier but hide its emergence behind some low relief building at the back from where it could join the tramway at an angle?

After leaving the station and before it reaches the river, the tramway could have a siding serving some industrial premises in the town for added operating interest?

I'm not sure what the grey oblong is across the river at the end of the goods yard?

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2016, 08:14:26 pm »
port

:hellosign:   Have a had a re-think about the port & the result is above. Keeping all the main features but moving things around makes room for the train ferry, without I think overdoing track. The return loop for continuous running will be hidden under the bay. Thanks for looking & as always comments & suggestions are always welcome
regards Derek.

Hi Derek,

Looks great to me. Much better than my ideas  :(.

I know Chris has mentioned a passing loop which is fine but if you're actually having a train ferry which is double track think you need to put the point on the approach further to the right as you'll need two locos to pull the wagons, coaches out at the same time so it doesn't tip over, so length of the ferry.

Has been mentioned before and might not always be the case but just saying. Really looking forward to the build and giving me inspiration to do something better.

Thanks weave  :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2016, 08:20:25 pm »
Good 'point', Chris (Weave). I'd forgotten that, the goods passing loop on the pier needs to be extended into a twin line which will connect with the train ferry's hold tracks. Then loading and unloading can be done, in parallel, as Chris (Weave) points out. The goods loop can also be used for four-wheel LWB rail fuel tankers to supply the storage tanks used to refuel the ferries. (There was a similar arrangement at Weymouth Harbour.)

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2016, 09:06:44 pm »
Looking great! My only concern is a tunnel underneath paintwork. With motors for the point it might cause issues if you need to replace the motor or height wise for enough space for the tunnel underneath.

Please feel free to disregard if you've got other plans I just thought it might cause an issue or two :)

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2016, 12:16:44 am »
port

regards Derek.

Hi again,

Wasn't reading it properly as usual and also didn't see the 'hidden under the bay' bit on the map. I presume the grey bit is a bridge or causeway so thought it would look better if the 'hidden under' went up and over if you've got enough length for the incline or with maybe a swing bridge and causeway either side or something like that.

Just a thought.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2016, 12:01:11 am »
 :hellosign:  & good evening, many thanks for the imput & the interest. Thanks for pointing out the return loop issue in the middle of the bay, not my best idea so will look at that again- continuous running is important but not impossible to live without. Chris (iP), the plan is for this section of the layout to be totally pre 1970ish so I think the containers were craned direct on to ships, please correct if I am wrong, also thanks Chris (Weave), the grey oblong is a bridge. 
  MrDobilina I plan to be using almost exclusively Kato track & points so point motor issue should not be a problem.
  Also agree the line to the train ferry needs to be doubled to allow engines to run round. Have been watching You Tube videos of the Messina ferry in Italy & this shows just one engine re-coupling the train by shunting the sections directly off the ferry deck, have I missed something ?. My idea is the train enters the line to the ferry, is un-coupled & runs in the siding, then a shunter pushes the coaches in. The engine reverses back to the siding (not yet on plan), to await the next arrival. Again thanks for looking
regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything