!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any-upon-Ware  (Read 25379 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Any-upon-Ware
« on: June 07, 2015, 02:37:50 pm »
Hello everybody, I reckon it`s time to share my ideas for the layout I hope to start building in the very near future. The layout will be housed in a 20x8ft shed & I have exclusive use.
   I love long fast passenger trains so lots of straight track is a must along with large stations. Absolutely nothing wrong with the smaller interurbans to add variety along with a couple of steamers & maybe even some freight but most importantly totally rule one.
  I have read many times start small & I intend to build in sections but I need a plan to aspire to.
   Kato is my favorite for track as well as stock, I also have a small amount of Peco so this may feature as well.
   Any & all comments are very welcome good or bad

Hope the track plan has uploaded

regards Derek.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:27:01 pm by Sprintex, Reason: Image link inserted »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Any-upon-Ware
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 03:03:02 pm »
Sorry, Derek, but no sign of the track plan :(
It sounds like you have an envious amount of space to model in. My first comment (without sight of the plan) is that such trains look better traversing sweeping curves so don't be tempted to have parallel tracks to baseboard edges but create some nice curves. I always find picturing Liz Hurley helps me with that :D

I love long fast passenger trains so lots of straight track is a must along with large stations.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:21:32 pm »
Hi NN thanks for the reply will try & get the track plan uploaded asap.
regards Derek.

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 03:28:10 pm »
Hi Derek,

Your trackplan uploaded OK but for some reason the image link wasn't in your post above. Have corrected it for you :thumbsup:

Nice plan! :)

Paul

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:33:28 pm »
 :thankyousign: Cheers Sprintex I am slowly getting there.
regards Derek.

Offline georgehgv

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 05:52:15 pm »
Looks a great plan but as NN said sweeping curves look good, too late on my layout which is a lot smaller anyway but at this stage you are going to be attracting loads of advice. All the best keep us all updated, George.
Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from Geominster this is the new project.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

The original layout progress here
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18319.msg184399#msg184399

Visit my new website here
http://georgehgv.wix.com/geominster

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 12:11:00 am »
Hi George thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. Still. thinking so watch this space

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 11:12:35 am »
 :hellosign: everybody  :sorrysign: for the gap but been on holiday (to IOW) and work keeps getting in the way of play. Still doing lots of thinking and planning on Scarm, nearly get a trackplan I really like then start to find silly errors so start again time. Ok better on my computer than on real wood and track and love to play on Scarm.
   Right silly question time, I plan to use Kato track with No4 points and if Ibuild a loop would any sidings loops or passing places be safe to store trains as long as points are straight. I know it should be obvious but I need to know  :thankyousign:
regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 10:40:59 am »
   :hellosign: Been on holiday again, (Blackpool, first time seen new trams, very impressed) & what with work not had a lot of time for my plans. Had lots of ideas & I think we have come up with a track plan which ticks all the boxes. Thanks to Railsquid & G Scale Bruce for the brilliant idea of Ikea Ivar shelving units although the Hejne range looks a lot more flexible. Has anybody any experience of these units please ?. Also after meeting Martin (Port Perran) at the Hayle show & seeing Trepol Bay his brilliant layout in action I Know DCC is not a priority, again many thanks Martin. I will try to upload new track plan later.  :NGaugersRule:
regards Derek.   

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 12:23:46 pm »
   :hellosign: Been on holiday again, (Blackpool, first time seen new trams, very impressed) & what with work not had a lot of time for my plans. Had lots of ideas & I think we have come up with a track plan which ticks all the boxes. Thanks to Railsquid & G Scale Bruce for the brilliant idea of Ikea Ivar shelving units although the Hejne range looks a lot more flexible. Has anybody any experience of these units please ?
It's G Scale Bruce you need to thank, I got the idea from him. Only difference is my shelves are 30cm rather than 50cm deep, as otherwise they'd be a bit big for the room. Still surprising how much space there is to fill...
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 12:51:10 pm »
   :hellosign: thanks for the reply. Both the Ivar & Hejne range are available in 30cm or 50cm widths the only downside I seen in Ivar is the uprights invade the shelf space, could you please tell me how far this is.  :sorrysign: to be a pain but my nearest Ikea is 150 miles away.
regards Derek.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 01:05:56 pm »
   :hellosign: thanks for the reply. Both the Ivar & Hejne range are available in 30cm or 50cm widths the only downside I seen in Ivar is the uprights invade the shelf space, could you please tell me how far this is.  :sorrysign: to be a pain but my nearest Ikea is 150 miles away.
regards Derek.
No problem - the Ivar uprights are 32mm deep and 44mm wide.

The downside of the Hejne range for me is that while the uprights don't intrude onto the shelf space, they're a bit more "store room shelf" in character and just wouldn't look so good in the space I have; and they're less versatile in terms of height adjustment (which is important for me). Also the uprights seem much wider than the Ivar ones, possibly blocking some viewing angles. But that's just my opinion  :thumbsup:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 01:23:59 pm »
  :thankyousign: Railsquid for your quick reply, that information is very interesting I will have another look at the Ikea website, thanks again.
regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 03:31:56 pm »
track design
track design
 :hellosign: My latest track plan still will be Kato track, the unfinished line is a possible tramway/ LRV it is all work in progress. The pink boxes are 2 800x800mm end modules & 2 700x1550mm modules for the main station. The blue are Hejne shelving units from Ikea that fit perfectly into the space. Any all comments welcome.
regards Derek

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 04:07:56 pm »
  :thankyousign: Railsquid for your quick reply, that information is very interesting I will have another look at the Ikea website, thanks again.
regards Derek.
Oh, the other thing you may want to think about - regardless of which kind of shelf you go with - is lighting; in my setup the next shelf up is about 35cm over the layout shelf, which kind of puts it in the shade. At the moment I can light up the layout with my workbench lamp but thinking about getting some kind of led light strip (possibly with variable luminosity) for permanent use.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here