!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Glasgow Queen Street model railway layout (take 2)  (Read 17123 times)

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
Glasgow Queen Street model railway layout (take 2)
« on: May 12, 2015, 03:18:40 pm »
After being made aware of the Graham Farish Class 47/7 and Mark 2F DBSO, I put my plans on hold
This was shortly followed by the Graham Farish 37/4

Ironically, I have slowly been acquiring the Large Logo Blue 37/4, with three of the six planned

I have this week been advised the ScotRail Class 47/7 47710 is due to arrive towards the end of next week, so have resumed my plans

First was to make Ian at mercig and Pauline at Millfield Models aware  that my plans had resumed, (as above) removing the ScotRail 47/7 repaints
These two quotes are now in
These models have now been prepared for shipping
The timescales are quite similar, so all should be completed by the end of August

That just leaves the remaining Class 37/4 locos for renumbering

This gives me 3 months to rebuild the layout, from scratch

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Glasgow Queen Street model railway layout (take 2)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 10:39:42 pm »
Good luck, It is my era and area so I'm watching this with an awful lot of interest.

From the reviews it seems the 47/7's will need the trombone pipe adding, I'm thinking about using the tanks of a 57 but I'm not sure if they are the same as a 47/7 and a straight swap.

Cheers
Mark
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:41:55 pm by scruff »

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 10:51:02 pm »

Hi Scruff,

The 47/7 received for review by model rail is in blue livery with grey roof, small round headlight and yellow head code panels - dating it to approx 1982-5 I believe. At this time the long 'trombone' cooling pipe was not fitted.

I haven't seen them, but I know Farish have a moulding for the pipe from their 57s so I would be surprised if it is not present where appropriate.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline MJKERR

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 11:52:09 pm »
From the reviews it seems the 47/7's will need the trombone pipe adding, I'm thinking about using the tanks of a 57 but I'm not sure if they are the same as a 47/7 and a straight swap
It may be a straight swap, but it may require some modification (as the Class 37 DCC version has also been updated slightly)

The difference is the Class 57/3 has slightly updated battery box covers compared to the Class 47/7
The warning labels will also require to be removed or covered over in black paint
This is not too much of an issue for me, as all my Class 47/7 locos will be weathered eventually

Offline MJKERR

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 05:17:38 pm »
Parcel day

The last of my DC models sent for conversion to DCC
A Class 101 in Strathclyde Transport
A Class 158
37418 in Large Logo Blue (short term)

Next were 8 Class 47 sent to Millfields for repainting and weathering

Finally, 4 Class 47 sent to mercig for high detail repainting and weathering
It would have been more, but I decided to swap simple repainting to include weathering

Hopefully these repaints go better than the last batch...

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 09:06:44 pm »
How about some pics of the locos, please?

Offline MJKERR

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:15:40 pm »
How about some pics of the locos, please?

These will follow when they come back from repainting!

Some photos were posted previously, of 47642 and the DBSO
All of these locos will be replaced or updated by August 2015
47642 has been sent to Mercig Studios; repaint/correction as 47642, weathering and partial detailing
47621 has been sent to Millfields Models; repaint to 47643 and weathering

Unless you want to see boxes of 37407 (x3) and ScotRail Mark 3 coaches (x4)
Everything else is currently lined up on the fiddle yard, exactly where it was 3 years ago

I have a full workload in May, but hopefully I will have less work in June so can make progress on swapping the fiddle yard to where it needs to be in the room, as it is currently on the opposite wall
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:56:48 am by Sprintex, Reason: Image link fixed »

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 10:44:29 pm »
Looking forward to the pics and progress..

Thanks for the Info Ben, seems we got no pipe and the wrong tanks coming!
Cost reasons said Farish.. Well, Why didn't they leave off the wheels? or motor?? That would've saved them more!! Seems N gauge is the poor relation again.

Oops! Sorry for the rant mjkerr...
Seems like we need some 57 tanks!

Cheers
Mark

Offline MJKERR

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 05:09:16 am »
seems we got no pipe and the wrong tanks coming!
See the thread regarding the Class 47/7, the Fuel Tanks are CORRECT
It was my error originally, and thought the non-Fuel Tank version from 47612 had been fitted, but now having looked at the latest photos the chassis was replaced with the more correct version

Offline MJKERR

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 08:49:41 pm »
I've been really undecisive about including Sound

The main issue is the lack of N gauge (modern image) layouts with sound at exhibitions
When I last attended Model Rail Scotland there were several OO gauge (modern image) layouts with sound, but the sound just turned into noise

With such a small layout there should never be more than seven or eight models with sound in the scenic area;
four / five Class 37
four / five Class 47
two / three Class 156
two / three Class 158
one / two HST
There are other models, but sound does not appear to be an option at the moment;
Class 26
Class 101

However, there will be many, many locos in the fiddle yard
This presents an issue of turning the sound on only for the scenic area
As yet I have not seen any method for this
Does such a system or option exist?

The sound can obviously be turned on / off from the handheld controller, but that's just something extra to fiddle with
So let's take two scenarios
Scenario A -
I start loco #0001 from the fiddle yard, with sound off, and when it passes a specific point I turn the sound on
Is this possible?
Does this present any issues?
Scenario B -
I start loco #0002 from the station, and when it passes a specific point I turn the sound off
Is this possible?
The loco then repeats into loop as Scenario A
Does the sound file continue where it left off?

I have therefore select one Class 37 and one Class 47 for initial testing purposes
If I don't like it then at least they all won't have been converted

I have also noted there are appear to be two versions of the Sound Decoder setup; CT and Zimo
I also assume on conversion the decoder has the required software loaded and no further connection is required, other than to update the #address

Any and all advice welcome

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 09:01:28 pm »
there was a layout at Burgess Hill MRC show last Saturday that had sound.

I assumed to start with that the locos were sound equipped, but then I had a look round the back at the fiddle yard and noticed 'bridges' over the tracks as they exited the fiddle yard. these had some sort of electronics on them.

when there was a quiet period I asked the guy running the layout what these were.

he explained that they controlled the sound. apparently each loco and dmu had a chip in them, as he  described them like a dog's microchip.

the electronics on the bridges read the chip, thus knowing what loco or dmu was passing, and turned on the relevant sound on a laptop.

to my eyes / ears it was a very realistic system, don't know if it would work with your layout.

unfortunately I can't remember the name of the layout, but I will try to see if I still have the hall plan which should have name.

don't know if that is of any help.

alan
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 09:03:45 pm »
Hi

In theory what you want may be possible by using railcom to detect the loco address then sending the relevant DCC function packet to that address to either switch the sound on or off.

That said you would have to build the modules to do this yourself as I am not aware of anything commercially available and all the decoder would need to be Railcom enabled. As a starting point take a look at this website
http://usuaris.tinet.cat/fmco/railcom_en.html
which contains a circuit and the firmware for building your own Railcom detector.

Another option would be to fit the engines with RFID tags that are read as they enter or leave the layout again sending the relevant DCC packet to switch the sound on or off.

Cheers

Paul
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:09:27 pm by PaulCheffus »

Offline MJKERR

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 10:11:49 am »
Scenario B -
I start loco #0002 from the station, and when it passes a specific point I turn the sound off
Is this possible?
The loco then repeats into loop as Scenario A
Does the sound file continue where it left off?
Can someone with Sound answer this question please

Online Ian Morton

• Ebay
    • Modelscape
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 01:28:56 pm »
It requires that a command (normally function 1 on/off) be sent to the loco as it passes the appropriate point.

This is a straight sound on/sound off without any fade into/out of the distance.

If the loco is stationary when it receives the command it will go through the engine start up/shut down sounds. If it is in motion then it will just start playing the appropriate engine sounds.

Manually this can be done by remembering to press the F1 key as the loco enters or leaves the scenic area.

If you have a computer linked to the layout (nothing flash - any old computer will do) then it could do the job for you automatically provided it knows when a loco passes the scenic divide and which loco it is.

By the sounds of it the layout you saw was using RFID tags. These are just the same as pet microchips. Basically a small electronic gizmo is stuck in the loco and a reader is placed over/under/beside the track. As a tag passes the reader it picks up power by induction (magic - no physical connection) from the reader and transmits a unique identification code. The reader picks this up and passes it to the computer. The computer can then look up that ID to establish the DCC address and, depending on which reader has sent the signal, send the F1 on/off command to the DCC system which then passes ot on to the loco.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Offline MJKERR

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 01:46:11 pm »
Thank you for confirming the loco will simply stop / start the sound when I press the appropriate function button
This will take place in a (interface) section between the fiddle yard and scenic area, shrouded in partial tunnel effect

The (scenic part of the) layout is going to be wired with occupancy detection taken into account
This pretty much reflects the BR signalling diagram that was in effect during the 198s0
The fiddle yard will need to be partially stripped and rewired

Therefore in the long term automated sound on / off will be through computer control, when the loco passes through the interface section

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here