Worst trains for motion sickness

Started by Pengi, November 16, 2011, 08:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengi

Having felt so travel sick on a Guildford to Reading journey on a FGW networker turbo that I made the return journey via Ascot on electric trains even though it took much longer, it has promoted me to seek your views. I really think that train was worse for travel sickness than the tadpoles that used to do the route.

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Fratton

I've always found the suburban units that run round south London (in my experience to chessington from clapham) alot of the time i think it was the track, there's a spot on the Portsmouth-London line that bounces well but thankfully for only for a few seconds,,,,
Charlie.

Tank

The worst ride I've been on was virtually outside my house.  At Kenley there is a huge waterworks, and it used to flood a lot - which would effect the railway line.  Between Kenley and Whyteleafe is the fastest part of the line, and so the Class 455's would go as fast as they could through there, and the carriages would rock from left to right quite hard.  Your shoulders would literally move about four inches to the left, then you'd get thrown back the otherway!  It would last for about 20 seconds.  I think they finally rectified it in about 2008.

EtchedPixels

It's never been the rough riding that bothers me - mostly I only have the problem in cars but its soggy soft suspensions on overpriced saloons that do it. Never had a problem in a landrover (a real one not the posh people's school run status version), nor on most trains, even things like the 142s which bounce around quite horrendously and dip and sway horribly on the pointwork outside Swansea.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Pengi

I've been ok on rough riding. The Isle of Wight line is great for that - and there is a very bumpy section for the tube trains to rattle over.

poliss

The Hampshire Thumpers were pretty bad. The Pacers are not good at all. My  worst ride was on the Newcastle Metro EMUs. Wasn't a fault in their design, but very badly maintained track. Jerked so much from side to side it could have almost dislocated your neck!

Pengi

Agree about the Pacers which were even more puke-inducing than the awful, straight sided three coach trains from Guildford to Reading. One coach was first class (and mostly empty) and half of another was the guards van so the train was virtually one coach (and mostly over-full). You couldn't see out of the windows as the dirt was like brown paint and the seats were grubby. A truly miserable journey.

kirky

Our (Saltburn - Darlington) 142s have always been pretty awful. Its a real treat to ride in 156 when they occasionally end up on our line!

But from a personal perspective and speaking as someone who has inner ear (balance) problems, one of the worst train rides I've ever done was the the Eurostar to Brussels - it was uncomfortably fast. Its not really the smoothness of the ride that bothered me, more the visual effect of travelling so fast!

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

point blank

I've done thousands of miles in 142's, the majority admittedly in the driving seat and never felt sick. The only trains that have ever give me a sickly feeling are Pendolinos with the tilt active. Wierd really as they are both at the opposite ends of passenger comfort scale.

4x2

Voyagers without a doubt ! Not to mention the 'tricky' toilet doors that gave one gentleman a great view of my nether regions !  :-[
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Zunnan

I'd have to agree with the Voyagers being up there with the worst, and Pendolinos, I've been in more comfortable budget airline seats...Its not just the motion, its the smells that just add to the misery, class 150's always had a smell which left me gagging but the ride wasn't too bad. I have to say I was actually more comfortable riding the Pacers between Lime Street and St Helens than on the Voyager/Pendo/350 to get from New St to Lime Street and back. Thank God she moved down here! In fact I can't think of anything built after the '80s that I've found to be pleasant. As much as I love trains, my interest stops at the point when everything started to go all samey looking with pungent smelling plastic sardine can interiors, I really don't see the attraction in current day railways, even the 'liveries' are vomit inducing! No wonder I drive everywhere...
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Newportnobby

Quote from: Zunnan on November 16, 2011, 08:43:09 PM
I'd have to agree with the Voyagers being up there with the worst, and Pendolinos, I've been in more comfortable budget airline seats...Its not just the motion, its the smells that just add to the misery, class 150's always had a smell which left me gagging but the ride wasn't too bad. I have to say I was actually more comfortable riding the Pacers between Lime Street and St Helens than on the Voyager/Pendo/350 to get from New St to Lime Street and back. Thank God she moved down here! In fact I can't think of anything built after the '80s that I've found to be pleasant. As much as I love trains, my interest stops at the point when everything started to go all samey looking with pungent smelling plastic sardine can interiors, I really don't see the attraction in current day railways, even the 'liveries' are vomit inducing! No wonder I drive everywhere...

There goes the sticky brown stuff into the rotating thingy again ::)

point blank

For me the best interior for comfort in the modern era units has to be the class 175 or 180 (same interior in standard class) which are far more comfortable than voyagers, Pendalinos etc, due to having leg room and wider seating, at the expense of a narrower aisle down the centre of course.

longbridge

There used to be a little DRM made by Walkers in Oz that ran on our local railway line which was an extension of the electrified suburban line, it was a total Rock and Roll train that ran on the worst track I have ever seen, it was so bad that looking at the peoples heads swinging around in the seats opposite was hilarious, everyone had a smile on their faces and I think they rode the train just for the hell of it, sadly like a great things it no longer runs.

http://www.victorianrailways.net/motive%20power/walk153.html
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

Hi Dave,
Love the way the advert describes "smoother, quiter riding" :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP