!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Return of Tales of future past... Oh yeah.....  (Read 36771 times)

Offline Agrippa

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tales of future past...
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 11:51:46 pm »
I just push a switch on my Gaugemaster Combi .... :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 01:44:40 am »
What he is saying is that...
Not the servo's, the drive motors Malc.
I have found another couple of references since I made the first post on this.  Things are now NO CLEARER! Argh!

I am gonna just go ahead and set up some stuff on a breadboard and slap a 'scope on it and see what I can learn my self.  (unless someone on here can icsploon the bestest way to go).

Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 01:56:09 am »
I just push a switch on my Gaugemaster Combi .... :D

...and why not!  ;D

I have an idea which I want to try out which needs the power to the rails to be controlled via a telemetry system.  Now everyone is wondering why I don't just go with DCC!  Well, it's a bit hard to explain, but if it all works, I'll explain it then.  But for now I will just say that I already have a system working that uses PWM and h-bridges.  If I can get it to work with the wee 'N' scale motors (without smoke) I am well on the way to what I am aiming at...

Regards, Allan.....
Lovely!

Planning thread:

I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 09:17:20 am »
Be interested to see what you are doing when it is up and running.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 06:06:36 pm »
Well, I still know nothing minus a bit.  So, I am going to make a trip, later this week, to the local(ish) model shop.  I have decided to buy a Bachmann train set.  That will give me some stuff to play with, a loco, some wagons, some track and, most importantly right now, a basic controller.
I have placed an order for a stack of components to allow for the beginnings of my build.  Messing with the Bachman controller will let me set the parameters for the final build.  I suppose that is a step forward in some sense.

Meanwhile, in the real world, here is a sketch for a possible way forward of another kind...  As I have said before, a discussion document at this point.  PLEASE comment I know nothing about the practical aspects of running a railway either at scale or 1:1.
One of the things I would really welcome suggestions on is this...  How can I make the back scene work?  There is a station close to it and I need two tracks, one at each end, to go behind it.  I was thinking, Make the lower part a retaining wall and include two bridge/tunnel entrances.  Then step it back above and use some low profile buildings to complete the height (sky above as needed).  Would that work?  All and any suggestions welcome.  Oh yeah, the spurs that head off down and right could be maintenance area or industrial.....

What is the general opinion on the use of cassettes?  Seems a great idea to me.  Anyone experienced in this aspect?

Regards,
Allan.....
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 11:12:48 am »
Looks good Allan. Lots of exhibition layouts use cassettes - they can have several premade trains ready to go, so saves messing about. With regards to the layout, it looks reasonable, but the storage yards are a lot bigger than the headshunts, so you won't be able to put long trains in there without breaking them up into shorter lengths.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 12:41:19 pm »
If you intend to run small diesel shunters or steam locos (e.g.0-6-0) I'd suggest avoiding insulfrog points if possible.

ScottyStitch

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 01:22:40 pm »
Well, I still know nothing minus a bit.  So, I am going to make a trip, later this week, to the local(ish) model shop.  I have decided to buy a Bachmann train set.  That will give me some stuff to play with, a loco, some wagons, some track and, most importantly right now, a basic controller.
I have placed an order for a stack of components to allow for the beginnings of my build.  Messing with the Bachman controller will let me set the parameters for the final build.  I suppose that is a step forward in some sense.

Meanwhile, in the real world, here is a sketch for a possible way forward of another kind...  As I have said before, a discussion document at this point.  PLEASE comment I know nothing about the practical aspects of running a railway either at scale or 1:1.
One of the things I would really welcome suggestions on is this...  How can I make the back scene work?  There is a station close to it and I need two tracks, one at each end, to go behind it.  I was thinking, Make the lower part a retaining wall and include two bridge/tunnel entrances.  Then step it back above and use some low profile buildings to complete the height (sky above as needed).  Would that work?  All and any suggestions welcome.  Oh yeah, the spurs that head off down and right could be maintenance area or industrial.....

What is the general opinion on the use of cassettes?  Seems a great idea to me.  Anyone experienced in this aspect?

Regards,
Allan.....

Cassettes are a great idea. With regard to the comment about length of headshunt versus length of storage yard cassette. How about instead of linking your two entries into the fiddle yard, you just make each one a dead end, with the cassette the complete siding. i.e. do away with both points in the fiddle yard. You'd get a bit more length then........ Make sense?

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 09:00:56 pm »
...so you won't be able to put long trains in there without breaking them up into shorter lengths.
You are right Malc. My only comment on that is that I don't really think I will be running long trains anyhow. But, the expression 'famous last words' springs to mind. Thanks for the observation. I will have another look at that...

If you intend to run small diesel shunters or steam locos (e.g.0-6-0) I'd suggest avoiding insulfrog points if possible.
I do indeed have a small 0-6-0. I had decided not to use insulfrog components from the point of view of appearance, even before I started to learn about the electrical problems. Thanks for that.

...do away with both points in the fiddle yard. You'd get a bit more length then........ Make sense?
It does make sense, yes. I will look at that one. The only reason I am not all over it right now is that I like to watch the trains go by. With that in mind, I was seeing the 'behind the back scene route' as a longer run around. But, it's not that much longer, so, your idea could be a good way to go.  Thanks.

Things to think on - exactly why I posted on here. Thanks to all.

I went to the shop today and bought a wee train set - the Bachmann 2 car DMU.  I will get it nailed together (just on the table) for a quick check out tomorrow then look at getting the 'scope on the rails to see what the controller actually throws at the loco.  More on that to follow.....

Thanks again for the comments.  Regards, Allan.....
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 02:24:51 am »
Re-think!  The comments I was able to get above prompted a re-think.
Also, I saw a potential flaw in my original plan which was to build a layout in my coffee table.  Once I had started thinking about the implications of working at near floor level I decided, 'Nah!'
That removed the strict 4' x 2' limit.  Still can't go huge but what a difference an extra 6" makes! (there's a joke in there somewhere, but I will resist it)...

On the other side of things, I nailed my little oval of track together and played with did a couple of hours run in with my new DMU.  I also did a few laps with the second hand shunter I got on eBay, that went well too.  So, I was able to start investigating the output of the Bachmann controller - a long way to go on that project but I feel better now that I have started.

I have a load of parts on order for my robot project. They are coming from China so may take a while.  When they come in I will be off the train thing for a short while until that is done and out of the way.  However, the same component order includes some of the stuff that will become part of the layout control system.

Here is the latest diagram. As before, comments please...

Regards,
Allan.....
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2015, 10:40:31 pm »
Right then...  The components I have been waiting for have started to come in.  I built a couple of controllers yesterday.  I have compared the outputs with that of the one that came with the Bachmann train set I bought a week or two back. Much the same according to my multimeter and my  oscilloscope. Good start! More on that in the next day or three.

I have been filling the time messing around with a program called 'Model Builder'.  I can't make my mind up on that one.  Has anyone tried it?  What do you think?

To get some materials to use with Model Builder output I decided to call in to a local framing shop.  We are not well served locally with art supply shops.  Chatting to the man in there, I quickly learned that I needed much less than a full sheet of this stuff.  He said, 'Will this do for you?' as he handed me a large pile of off cuts.  The smallest was around A5, largest around A4.  I suspect that I have enough to scratch build every structure that I am planning for my layout - what a nice man!  He wouldn't let me pay for what he insisted was pure scrap anyhow and told me that if I had called in a day earlier I could have had a complete bin load of the stuff...

So, now I am about ready to think about the wood butchery phase. 
Look out B&Q, I'm a comin' atcha!  You have been warned...

More soon, regards...

Allan.....
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Offline DarthBadger

• N Gauge Society Number: 25355
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2015, 07:53:13 am »
Frooty as a Nut-Cake!

Has Spike Milligan been reincarnated?

:photospleasesign:

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2015, 09:06:57 pm »
Woah! For a moment there I though someone by the name of 'DarthBadger' was actually questioning MY sanity! Must have imagined it...  ;)
Pics will follow as soon as there is something to take pics of.
(What kind of name is Darth anyhow? Bert Badger, Bill Badger, even Boogaloo Badger... But Darth? For a blurry BADGER? Mind, Darth Donkey would work, Darth Dingo... DarthBadger, not so much mate - get a proper name, like what I done!)

Frooty as a Nut-Cake!

Has Spike Milligan been reincarnated?

:photospleasesign:
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 10:15:07 pm »
This weather is KILLING me!  Due to my location I need to do the baseboard construction aspect of my layout outside. You know, paint, sawdust, drill dust - all those wonderful man-ish smells and noises... (By the way, why do the women in my life always think that 'man-ish smells and noises' are all biological?)  There is going to be a summer eventually isn't there?  Well, I would settle for a reasonable chance of a couple of days without rain really.  Anyone on here got any degree of influence in that direction?

Well, OK, for now I'll settle for going to Glasgow at the week end for the exhibition.  Anyone else going?

Regards, Allan..... (with a heavy sigh and a rude gesture out of the window at the weather)
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 04:56:26 pm »
Like I said :laughabovepost: up there... The weather is doing my head in.  I want to get a baseboard under way.  The result of the problem is that I have become hooked on making card models.  The Metcalfe range is my inspiration right now.  After doing a couple of those I have started to design and draw my own.  Fairly small units so far but the techniques and methods learned from those kits is standing me in good stead.  There is a lot of satisfaction in knowing that my layout will (eventually) have some unique buildings on it.  Another good source of inspiration was the Glasgow exhibition where I was able to see how others do it.  It was a good show, well worth the trip, despite the evil weather experienced on the drive back towards the right coast. (That's the right coast as opposed to the left coast - no offence Glasgow)
OK, the real point of this post - is it possible to become addicted to building card models? (perhaps it's the smell of the Roket, UHU or the PVA?)
Right then, Back to drawing a few more buildings and then print and glue!  If these work out as well as I hope, perhaps even a picture or two in a few days. (unless there is a magical change in the weather!)

Regards, Allan.....
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything