!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Return of Tales of future past... Oh yeah.....  (Read 36770 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Tales of future past...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 09:14:20 pm »
Just checking....are you related to the Zogbert Splod that posts on you tube? Although, I think he is a septic.

Do septics drive around in tanks? :P

Tank commander to loader 'load with AP'
Loader to commander 'not....not....not the authentic poo? :o'

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 01:50:47 am »
OK, a modicum of sanity for a moment.
I am still putting the sketch of a possible layout together but in the meantime...
Sundeala (spelling?) - assuming that the framing is properly done - any good?  Has anyone used it?

Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline Geoff

• N Gauge Society Number: 21731
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 06:50:42 am »
I am still putting the sketch of a possible layout together but in the meantime...
Sundeala (spelling?) - assuming that the framing is properly done - any good?  Has anyone used it?

Allan.....

You are better off using 9mm ply Allan, I have used Sundeala in my early days but it was not my favourite product for track laying.
Geoff

Online mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 08:43:22 am »
On the other hand, I have used the stuff successfully on my one and only layout...

If it's good enough for the rebel Portobello and Joppa North Sea Coastal, then it's maybe good enough for anything.
Donald

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 08:52:13 am »
Mad as a Brush............... :bounce:

What, one of these? ;)

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

ScottyStitch

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 08:57:56 am »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 10:01:15 am »

Allan.....

Sanity? ??? :laugh3:

Here's one who has used 9mm sundeala (correct ;)) on many layouts and I think it's great in that it readily accepts track pins just being pushed in and is easily shaped if required.
The usual caveat applies in that, unless the layout will reside indoors, the sundeala requires treating as per the instructions on their website as temperature changes will warp it. Once treated, and with good bracing, it has never given me any issues.

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 12:38:40 pm »
Just checking....are you related to the Zogbert Splod that posts on you tube? Although, I think he is a septic.

Do septics drive around in tanks? :P

Tank commander to loader 'load with AP'
Loader to commander 'not....not....not the authentic poo? :o'
Cockney rhyming slang , Mick
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 04:31:27 pm »
Thanks for the replies on the Sundeala question.  I went and ‘guested’ on a couple of other forums and discovered that what I was asking is a frequently asked thing.  Based on the answers across the net I will almost certainly go with good quality ply.  Thanks again to all who responded.

OK, moving on.  I still don’t have a track plan that I am even remotely happy with, so, I will let that slide for today.  However, comments on the following would be VERY welcome...

My current hobby project, a robotic video platform (which I really aught to finish before starting on the ‘train set’), has a surprising number of common features with model railroads.  It has got six channels, each with an electric motor at the end of it.  Two of those are actually servo’s and are feedback controlled so I have simply got to tell them where I want them to be.  However, the others, used for directional movement, need to be controlled separately.  I have written the software for this and all is good.  The interface with the motors is handled by ‘h-bridges’.  The chopper frequency (is that a suitable term?) is 2kHz.  I have done a million searches across a billion web sites and found little in the way of consensus.  Does anyone on here have REAL experience in this regard?  Specifically, is this system suitable for ‘N’ gauge loco’s and, if so, what is a suitable frequency to run at?  I would be looking at all the usual stuff with a strong bias towards slow running.  Also, I really don’t want to release the ‘magic smoke’ from the loco!!!  I have a bunch of pretty good DC power supplies that are happy to supply the inputs to my current h-bridges, so that side of it seems to be covered.  I could easily experiment and change the chopper frequency in software but I don’t know how long it takes to make a tiny ‘N’ gauge motor go bye-bye.

What is the principle of operation of ‘over the counter’ controllers anyhow?  Straight line up/down DC -  PWM - FM???  I should go and buy one and shove a ‘scope on it!

As an example of what I have found so far: the chopper frequency controlling the h-bridge should not exceed 800 Hz. But on another site I found that it should never be less than 2kHz!
Opinions, thoughts, even real knowledge would be most welcome.

Regards, Allan.....
Lovely!

Planning thread:

I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Online Malc

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 04:51:07 pm »
Generally, DC locos require just that.  0 to 12v DC seems to be the norm. N gauge locos of a more modern type use coreless motors and don't take much cooking. Pulse width modulation does work AFAIK, but doesn't seem to popular. DCC uses a 16v supply with a PCM type signal modulated onto it. The decoder rectifies and supplies the motor.

ScottyStitch

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 08:27:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies on the Sundeala question.  I went and ‘guested’ on a couple of other forums and discovered that what I was asking is a frequently asked thing.  Based on the answers across the net I will almost certainly go with good quality ply.  Thanks again to all who responded.

OK, moving on.  I still don’t have a track plan that I am even remotely happy with, so, I will let that slide for today.  However, comments on the following would be VERY welcome...

My current hobby project, a robotic video platform (which I really aught to finish before starting on the ‘train set’), has a surprising number of common features with model railroads.  It has got six channels, each with an electric motor at the end of it.  Two of those are actually servo’s and are feedback controlled so I have simply got to tell them where I want them to be.  However, the others, used for directional movement, need to be controlled separately.  I have written the software for this and all is good.  The interface with the motors is handled by ‘h-bridges’.  The chopper frequency (is that a suitable term?) is 2kHz.  I have done a million searches across a billion web sites and found little in the way of consensus.  Does anyone on here have REAL experience in this regard?  Specifically, is this system suitable for ‘N’ gauge loco’s and, if so, what is a suitable frequency to run at?  I would be looking at all the usual stuff with a strong bias towards slow running.  Also, I really don’t want to release the ‘magic smoke’ from the loco!!!  I have a bunch of pretty good DC power supplies that are happy to supply the inputs to my current h-bridges, so that side of it seems to be covered.  I could easily experiment and change the chopper frequency in software but I don’t know how long it takes to make a tiny ‘N’ gauge motor go bye-bye.

What is the principle of operation of ‘over the counter’ controllers anyhow?  Straight line up/down DC -  PWM - FM???  I should go and buy one and shove a ‘scope on it!

As an example of what I have found so far: the chopper frequency controlling the h-bridge should not exceed 800 Hz. But on another site I found that it should never be less than 2kHz!
Opinions, thoughts, even real knowledge would be most welcome.

Regards, Allan.....

erm.........what?

Offline Geoff

• N Gauge Society Number: 21731
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 09:11:28 pm »
 :laughabovepost:
Geoff

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 11:11:15 pm »
 :laughabovepost:
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 11:23:50 pm »
As Churchill used to say " Everything should be explainable on the back
of an envelope".

When the chopper frequency meets the h -bridge via the servos the Earth Dies Screaming !
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Online Malc

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 11:39:29 pm »
What he is saying is that he uses an electronic switch (h-bridge) to change the direction of movement of his servos. He feeds the bridge/servo with AC of frequency 2k Hz. The bridge would rectify this and pass to the servos. Is this suitable for controlling an N gauge loco. At least that's what I took it to mean. I stand corrected.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything