1st gen dmus

Started by bluedepot, August 14, 2014, 10:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Not that they're for me, but I think SR modellers are extremely poorly catered for when you consider the variety and longevity of their multiple units.

railsquid

Quote from: bluedepot on August 15, 2014, 09:42:10 PM
at this rate we'll be able to crowd source a class 117 soon... lol   just another 985 'pledges' lol

tim

Count me in for a 117  :beers:

koyli55002

The 124 "Trans-Pennine" for me - or, if someone were to produce the cabs to go with the Worsley Works offering.........

koyli55002

A clean one at that ! How very unusual !

Les1952

Given the rocketing prices of DMUs and Farish's reluctance to issue 3-car sets any longer I would like to suggest a simple new release.

Simple in that it is already tooled, including the box insert, and the only new tooling would be the label on the end of the box.

What could be so simple?

A "loose" centre trailer car for the 101 and 108 in green and in blue. 

This gives an upgrade path from 2 car to 3 car sets, and the opportunity to model one of the North Eastern Region's 4 car sets that were created when some 3-car sets were split to make power twins and the released centre trailers passed to other 3-car sets to make them 4-car.

"Real" 4-car 101s - ie those delivered new as 4-car- (and I think the pair of 108s supplied as 4-car) had the brake in one of the centre trailers making the sets DMCL- TBS - TS - DMCL except for six that were DMCL - TBS - TS with buffet- DMCL.  The buffet sets were used on Middlesbrough-Newcastle-Carlisle trains as one half of an 8-car set.  The Darlington to Saltburn line was often an 8-car train made of two 4-car sets, a far cry from the nodding donkey on that train now.  A TBS is probably a tooling too far, given that they didn't normally work South of York.

The movie shows my Farish Met-Camm set in action on Hawthorn Dene at Weston Super Mare show last month.  It will have its next outing at Warley.

Just a thought
Les

Les1952

After the Tyneside Loop through Whitley Bay lost its electric trains the replacements were 4-car banger-blue Class 101 DMUs with names, so you could travel in "Cushie Butterfield" and "Nanny the Mazer".  I'm not sure if the two class 108 4-car sets were included in those so used.

Naming DMUs is nothing new

Les

PLD

Quote from: Les1952 on October 02, 2018, 11:34:00 PM
Given the rocketing prices of DMUs and Farish's reluctance to issue 3-car sets any longer I would like to suggest a simple new release.

Simple in that it is already tooled, including the box insert, and the only new tooling would be the label on the end of the box.

What could be so simple?

A "loose" centre trailer car for the 101 and 108 in green and in blue. 

This gives an upgrade path from 2 car to 3 car sets, and the opportunity to model one of the North Eastern Region's 4 car sets that were created when some 3-car sets were split to make power twins and the released centre trailers passed to other 3-car sets to make them 4-car.

"Real" 4-car 101s - ie those delivered new as 4-car- (and I think the pair of 108s supplied as 4-car) had the brake in one of the centre trailers making the sets DMCL- TBS - TS - DMCL except for six that were DMCL - TBS - TS with buffet- DMCL.  The buffet sets were used on Middlesbrough-Newcastle-Carlisle trains as one half of an 8-car set.  The Darlington to Saltburn line was often an 8-car train made of two 4-car sets, a far cry from the nodding donkey on that train now.  A TBS is probably a tooling too far, given that they didn't normally work South of York.

The movie shows my Farish Met-Camm set in action on Hawthorn Dene at Weston Super Mare show last month.  It will have its next outing at Warley.

Just a thought
Les
The main issue is that (as you have recognised with your comment on the location of the brake in the 4-car sets) many 3-car sets are not as simple as inserting an extra trailer in to a standard 2-car set...

As well as the body/seating configuration differences, I believe all 3+car sets had 2 motor cars (certainly all delivered as 3/4 did). Farish mainly produced 2-car sets as Motor+Trailer so those aren't suitable to simply insert a trailer. You would need to find a rarer 'Power-Twin' model or rebuild the underframe and inner end of the driving trailer to represent a motor car...

BlythStationLad

For me it has to be a Derby Lightweight.

Newportnobby

With me modelling Oxfordshire in the transition era there's a plethora of DMUs that would suit me.
A 116, 117 or 120 would do nicely, thank you :D

Neil of Teesside

I'd like to see the 2-car power-trailer Class 101 combination in blue, refurbished white/blue and blue/grey, plus a 3/4-car set with a TBS (in the same liveries).

I'd also like to see the following classes: 104, 105, 123 and 124.

Neil of Teesside

The Class 120 trailer car is simpler to replicate than you think as it is almost identical to a standard Mk 1 coach in outline (yes the doors are in different places and the underframe equipment is different).

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations