!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wookery  (Read 154679 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Wookery
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 07:04:25 pm »
Thanks Chris, I have PM'd you.

Well, my navvies have been very busy!
(Is it PC to say that these days?)

Here is the first pic of my layout.
The 3 sections are now joined and levelled and I have stuck down cork tiles on the main areas that will carry track. In the scenic areas this will be trimmed back to the sides of tracks, with a bevelled edge, to form the main ballast shaping.
I have now laid the tracks for the two complete loops...just have one more set of points to add (I cleaned out my local shop, waiting for the next delivery) and then I have the fiddly job of fitting the pieces that bridge the board joins.

Now I have to teach myself how to solder, so that I can wire it up, then hopefully I can start playing  :D

.....and here is the masterplan!

I've had to adapt it slightly, as I am using streamline electrofrog points instead of the settrack I planned with. Because the points and crossings are longer in streamline I've had to move the station along slightly so that I can fit at least two coaches in on the platform next to the through lines. This in turn means that the turntable may have to be pushed back a bit, or even missed off - but I hope not!
Using streamline means I'll be able to fit another track in at the back of the fiddle yard, which is good as I was a little worried by the shortage of spare sidings.
The problem will be completely solved when I get round to the second big module as I will then be able to put another fiddle yard at the back, with loads of sidings beside the two through lines.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 07:18:15 pm »
Looking good, Mike. I've just replied to your PM. I'm also planning to use cork underlay. I've read, on the forum, the trick is to weigh it down with heavy books until the glue has set and to help prevent air bubbles.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:39:33 pm by Chris in Prague »

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 07:20:00 pm »
I think I'm going to have to prioritise working out how to fit some legs to the boards, as my back and knees are killing me from working on the floor!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 07:21:41 pm »
Can't you put in on a table with newspaper underneath? Definitely you need to work on it at a comfortable height!

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 08:00:33 pm »
No we don't have a table big enough

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 08:03:09 pm »
How about a wallpaper table / trestles?

Offline Avis1434

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20007
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 08:34:36 pm »
Hi Wookie

Making good progress on your layout.

I am just a bit concerned that the headshunt at the end of the track coming in from the fiddle yard seems a bit short and will restrict the number of wagons etc that can be shunted back into the longer sidings. :worried:

Perhaps you want to consider the track from the fiddle yard coming in earlier and at a lesser angle or pushing your left hand backdrop further to the left to give you a longer headshunt to let the loco reverse its wagons into those sidings. Just a thought.Better to iron out a possible problem BEFORE you lay the track.

As others have said before - just follow the track round and imagine you are the train to see if the track formations fit your requirements.

I look forward to seeing the layout progress in the coming weeks.

PS Did you use PVA to glue down the cork floor squares?

Cheers

Murray
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:39:31 pm by Avis1434 »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 08:41:18 pm »
Yes, the headshunt needs to be as long as possible even if that means going into the backscene?

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 09:13:26 pm »
I wasn't really too bothered about the headshunt length to be honest as I only intended bringing in a couple of wagons at a time.
I could possibly bring it through from the fiddle yard a bit further back and perhaps extend the first siding to serve the factory instead of the third one.
The head shunt would obstruct the road/branch platform then though.
As you suggest Chris, it's easy enough to take it through the side scenery if I decide it needs to be longer - I'll just have to build another road bridge.
It might have to be a viaduct as that side already has to span four tracks and a road :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 09:24:26 pm »
You can always recess the end of the headshunt into the backscene with some overhanging trees, for example to hide the break. (that is how I plan to hide where the Cant Cove Castle Estate branch (in a cutting, too) passes through the backscene and into the small fiddle yard along the back of the layout.

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 07:30:26 am »

PS Did you use PVA to glue down the cork floor squares?

Yes I did, and Wickes cheapest pack of cork tiles.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 07:39:48 am »
Looking at your trackplan, you definitely have room to extend not only the headshunt (which i would strongly advise as it makes for more interesting shunting in the yard to have a longer train) but also the loco shed using a low relief front for the shed as has been done by several layouts on this forum (e.g., see: Teignbridge, Langstone & Holcombe), that way you'll still have room for the turntable, too.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:06:00 pm by Chris in Prague »

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 05:31:54 pm »
Yay, I can play!

For somebody who has only done a tiny amount of soldering (badly!) in my life, I am quite proud of myself......

A bit of a cats cradle, but I will tidy it up later. Some of it is only temporary anyway, as I have made no provision for breaking down the modules at the moment, but I just wanted to get something running! I can only run one train at a time for now as it is wired DCC and I have no DCC trains at the moment  :( (soon to be rectified!!!) so I have wired in an old Hornby DC controller.

The rails serving the station are now in place as well....

One slight problem is that the crossings both work fine when approached via the mainlines, but are dead when crossed diagonally. I relised that this is because they have points at both ends that are joined with insulated joiners. It is now a problem to get wires to the diagonals - I can get one to each side but at opposite ends. Will this still work OK? See, I told you I'm a noob  :o

At least I can play....

An autocoach and railcar stand at what will be platforms 2 & 3.
OK, I cheated as I can only have one running at a time, but I claim rule one  :P

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 06:09:00 pm »
Looking good. I like the autotrain and the GWR Diesel Railcar. I have a BR Green Late Crest 14XX and two old design autocoaches (crimson and blood and custard) but want two of the BR WR design autocoaches instead as, to me, they look much better. I also have a GWR Diesel Railcar in GWR livery and one in BR WR Green.

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 06:19:30 pm »
I would love a railcar in Express Parcels livery but unfortunately there isn't one in N.
I think a conversion is beyond my very limited capabilities  :(

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here