!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wookery  (Read 149987 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Wookery
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2014, 05:33:17 pm »
Coming along very well, Wookie, although the proximity of the main line to the board edge has me very worried :worried:
Will you be fitting some sort of guard against derailment/plummeting to the floor?

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2014, 05:51:19 pm »
Glad to be of help with the yard crane suggestion. 8-)

The 'chemical plant building' looks, to me like a dairy which would quite likely be a quite modern looking building with an art deco sort of look to it and a dairy would certainly fit in with the 30's and give you an excuse to run a daily train in of empty six-wheeled dairy tankers in and one out of filled ones. However, they would, I think, all have to be of the same diary brand. Maybe the vertical tanks would need to be painted aluminium rather than brown?

If you do choose to make it a dairy, I would just lightly weather the roofs as they are rather than repaint them to represent felt and rusty iron. For obvious reasons, the outside of dairy buildings was normally kept clean and tidy! (Which is more than can be said, sometimes, for the milk tanker wagons, judging by prototype photos, at least in the BR era!)

I hadn't considered a dairy Chris.......hmm interesting. It would have to be repositioned on the layout though, to get it next to a siding for those milk tankers.  Can't say I've seen any pre-war tankers, I'll have to have a look around. I have some syphon vans......

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2014, 05:52:26 pm »
Coming along very well, Wookie, although the proximity of the main line to the board edge has me very worried :worried:
Will you be fitting some sort of guard against derailment/plummeting to the floor?

There will be a thick piece of perspex along the front mate......more for protection from little fingers than anything  :o

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2014, 06:08:17 pm »
Glad to be of help with the yard crane suggestion. 8-)

The 'chemical plant building' looks, to me like a dairy which would quite likely be a quite modern looking building with an art deco sort of look to it and a dairy would certainly fit in with the 30's and give you an excuse to run a daily train in of empty six-wheeled dairy tankers in and one out of filled ones. However, they would, I think, all have to be of the same diary brand. Maybe the vertical tanks would need to be painted aluminium rather than brown?

If you do choose to make it a dairy, I would just lightly weather the roofs as they are rather than repaint them to represent felt and rusty iron. For obvious reasons, the outside of dairy buildings was normally kept clean and tidy! (Which is more than can be said, sometimes, for the milk tanker wagons, judging by prototype photos, at least in the BR era!)

I hadn't considered a dairy Chris.......hmm interesting. It would have to be repositioned on the layout though, to get it next to a siding for those milk tankers.  Can't say I've seen any pre-war tankers, I'll have to have a look around. I have some syphon vans......

I think the pre-war passenger-rated milk tank wagons were the four-wheeled ones (like Peco made) which can be found, sometimes, on eBay) but, yes, Siphons would be used, too, for carrying milk churns, although I do not know when they stopped being used for this traffic. I'm sure that others more knowledgeable about the 1930s can clarify?

You'd only need one siding for the dairy, I think.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2014, 06:22:59 pm »

There will be a thick piece of perspex along the front mate......more for protection from little fingers than anything  :o

Thanks. I'll be interested to know where you source the Perspex from as the stuff I have is too flimsy really :-[

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2014, 07:03:58 pm »
We have a pretty good plastics shop here, and they cut it to whatever sizes you want

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2014, 07:23:20 pm »
Yes, probably only a single siding for the creamery. Generally, 4 wheel tankers were used in the 30s to carry milk (6 wheelers were later introduced due to their smoother running). Siphons were used up to the late 50s (I think) to carry churns although this traffic was very much declining by then. Siphons are very typical of the 30s.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2014, 11:02:34 pm »
Whoops! Completely forgot that I had a kit for another factory. Made it up today and it's big, with a big loading platform! The only place that I can fit it in is beside the headshunt, which isn't ideal, but it will have to do. The road has to be diverted too......I see what you all meant about ideas & plans changing as you work things out.
My worry with using the dairy building (I agree that it looks more like a dairy) is how tankers would have been loaded/unloaded. Surely some form of pumping system would have to be in place?
I assume that these are the type of tankers referred to:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Gauge-Peco-2x-United-Dairies-Milk-Tanker-Wagons-UNBOXED-/201066289609?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2ed07c19c9

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2014, 05:35:03 pm »
Just for Chris in Prague.......

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2014, 05:38:32 pm »
Looking good as ever. Please keep the pictures coming.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 06:11:56 pm »
Thanks for the picture of the overhead crane in position with the GWR Conflats in place. It's looking better and better. My apologies for not replying earlier. There's a very good article about milk tanker wagons in the latest NGS magazine. If you send me a PM with your email address I'll send you a scanned version as it answers a lot of your questions. In general, milk tanker wagons replaced Siphons for carrying milk from the late 1920s (1926 in West Cornwall on the GWR). To improve high-speed running the four-wheel milk tankers were converted / replaced by six-wheeled ones.

I can send you a picture of the loading apparatus at Torrington for milk tankers, it was a metal framework supporting overhead filling apparatus but I don't know if it was only introduced post-WW2? I believe that the milk tankers could also be filled from ground level using hoses with some form of pressurisation?

The correct term is / was a Creamery. You can see one on a friend, Carl's superb N Gauge WR layout, Vale of Oxbury  (I can send you the link). His dairy is the Mark 2 building with now just a single siding (the first was too big). Its based on Wallingford Creamery. He does not have any (visible) means of filling the milk tankers.

Hope this helps a bit.

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2014, 06:41:25 pm »
You already have my email Chris from when you sent me the crane pictures

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2014, 06:56:52 pm »
You already have my email Chris from when you sent me the crane pictures

MY apologies; yes, of course I do. (I've spent most of Easter reading student theses so my brain is rather numb!)

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2014, 07:03:02 pm »
No problem  :D

I have actually placed the creamery/dairy at the end of the station platform now, with doors opening onto the platform, so that churns can be taken straight in as they are delivered. Churns must have still been used postwar as there are syphon vans in BR liveries. I believe I've even seen some in BR blue.
I've had a radical rethink on the buildings and after a lot of trial and error I have managed to get them all into suitable position and keep the headshunt clear. They don't look quite so striking now, but it's a good compromise I think.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2014, 07:19:19 pm »
If your layout is set around the mid-1920s, Mike, then I think you can use GWR Siphons (the body type modelled by Dapol) for carrying milk in churns. Later, (the later Lima body type in BR days) Siphons were used for parcels traffic by the GWR and BR WR (including some painted BR Blue) and later still, under BR WR, in the BR Blue period for carrying Engine Parts to / from Swindon Works 'ENPARTS'  so the later type of bogie Siphon (the body type modelled by Lima) lasted long after the GWR. I believe the Lima Palethorpes Sausages Siphon is fictitious, however?

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything