!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wookery  (Read 149990 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Wookery
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 07:13:23 pm »
Ah, yes, the GWR diesel parcels cars. Yes, me, too. I'm not aware of any kit and finding a chassis would be expensive, I think?

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 07:35:12 pm »
Parcel car singular in the prototype, there was only one.
Lima did an OO version, and I have seen a scratchbuilt OO too.
I would buy another railcar and hack it if I felt my modelling is good enough.
Sadly it isn't  :'(

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 07:44:47 pm »
Lima did an OO version, and I have seen a scratchbuilt OO too.
I would buy another railcar and hack it if I felt my modelling is good enough.
Sadly it isn't  :'(

Yes, indeed, No. 17. The WR had rather more Diesel Parcels Cars than the GWR's solitary one.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 08:18:12 pm »
A GWR parcels car would look good. If you do try to model one, I'll be keen to see the outcome.
In fact, I haven't got a railcar at all but it would look good on Port Perran I think). Hmmmmmm!!
I have two autocoaches (blood & custard & maroon) currently running with a pannier but am awaiting the new release Dapol 14XX and autocoach which is due imminently.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 08:22:54 pm »
My Dapol 14XX is in the LONG queue for DCC fitting at Wickness, long because i can only afford to pay for one or two locos. to be fitted per month! I'm also waiting for the new BR WR design autocoaches. I want at least one, ideally two. Then I'll sell off my plain maroon old one and the blood and custard one will be set aside for a future weed-killing train control coach!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:28:27 pm by Chris in Prague »

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 08:25:21 pm »
Yay, I can play!

For somebody who has only done a tiny amount of soldering (badly!) in my life, I am quite proud of myself......

Plenty of wiring there and well done with the soldering. I know what you mean, I've just wired up 19 points and couldn't believe how much wire I needed. I also had my first real experience of soldering and was pleased with what I achieved.
Enjoy running your trains !
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:26:49 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 09:50:32 pm »

Two 8)

17 and 34

The parcels unit body kit is actually not too hard to build. Adam Warr also did a vinyl conversion.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 10:05:48 pm »
There is a kit?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 09:31:50 pm »

Two 8)

17 and 34

I THOUGHT there was more than one; I forgot the second number, 34.

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 10:13:07 pm »
Yes, I found the kit - very nice. You have to be prepared to sacrifice a railcar to use the chassis, which is fair enough but I'm not sure that I am up to the painting skills required. I'll have to see if any club members are prepared to help me if I decide to go for it. It won't be for a while yet anyway, much too much else to do.

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2014, 05:36:26 pm »
Hmmmmm......2 hours painting rust on rails, and I think I did less than 20% of what needs doing  :(

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2014, 09:25:35 am »
Hi Wookie. Just found your thread and you seems to be making good progress on your layout. I'm actually modelling exactly the same GWR period but for slightly different reasons so I will be interested to see how you progress.

As regards a GWR Express Parcels railcar, Electra Graphics do a vinyl overlay which is applied over the top of the standard railcar sides to make the conversion.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2014, 09:33:38 am »
Wow! So they do!
It looks pretty cool too.....

I had never heard of them - thanks for the tip. Definitely worth a go I think.

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2014, 04:58:26 pm »
Well, all my engines have come back from Coastal DCC where Kevin has done an excellent job of converting them for me.
I really can't understand why so many people sell locos on eBay "because I am converting to DCC" - if it is running well, get it converted!

Of course I had to abandon the rusty rail painting in favour of playing.....er sorry.....thoroughly test running all the rolling stock  :D

Things have moved on a bit from my last pictures, as you can see:

Castle Clun thunders through Wookery with the up express. passing a small freight string of empty private owners heading downline.

Various branch line traffic stands at the platforms of the incomplete station.

King Edward II emerges from one of the engine sheds.

All my industrial buildings have been heavily grimed/weathered. There won't be much room for greenery on this module!

Conflats being shunted past the very dillapidated coal yard towards the siding where the yard crane will be located.

The sidings to some of the industrial buildings. The space to the right will house a goods shed (not yet built) and Chris in Prague's suggestion of a knightwing yard crane (not yet purchased)  ::)

The view down the approximate route of the road.

Heavy industry.

I'm undecided about this chemical plant building, so it hasn't had my paint treatment yet. It is very modern looking, but it also has an art deco sort of look to it as well, which would perhaps make it fit in with the 30's. By the time I have given it a black felt roof in the same way as the large engine shed, and rusted the corrugated left hand roof I think it may fit the bill - what do you all think?
I also have space for a car mechanics garage.
The road will eventually meander up a hill in the distance (finally some grass), and join a raised level High Street which will run across the back of the module, over part of the fiddle yard. I've taken forum advice and the headshunt has been extended through the side scene into the next module to give more shunting potential.
You will notice that sidings have also altered since the original plan, to accommodate the lovely industrial buildings that I picked up on fleabay.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2014, 05:32:19 pm »
Glad to be of help with the yard crane suggestion. 8-)

The 'chemical plant building' looks, to me like a dairy which would quite likely be a quite modern looking building with an art deco sort of look to it and a dairy would certainly fit in with the 30's and give you an excuse to run a daily train in of empty six-wheeled dairy tankers in and one out of filled ones. However, they would, I think, all have to be of the same diary brand. Maybe the vertical tanks would need to be painted aluminium rather than brown?

If you do choose to make it a dairy, I would just lightly weather the roofs as they are rather than repaint them to represent felt and rusty iron. For obvious reasons, the outside of dairy buildings was normally kept clean and tidy! (Which is more than can be said, sometimes, for the milk tanker wagons, judging by prototype photos, at least in the BR era!)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything