!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wookery  (Read 149871 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Wookery
« on: March 06, 2014, 03:34:09 pm »
Hello from a complete noob!
I've always fancied building a scenic model railway, but when I was a kid the board in my bedroom would have the train set on it one week, and the scalextrix the next.
I tried again when my own sons were old enough, but they were more into computer games, and so the whole lot got sold.
I now have 3 young grandsons, and whether they like it or not, grandad is going to play with them with his train set!
Space is limited, so it is going to be N gauge and in modules.
I am going to attempt to build it to exhibition standard, and have joined the NGS and my local group, who have been very helpful.
My knowledge of the railways is very limited, I have to confess.
More from cowardice than for any other reason I plumped for pre-war GWR, as I figured that I could run anything that said GWR on it quite safely. I now realise that I have a mixture of locos with "Great Western", GWR and the shirt button on them, so am covering 3 different periods already! Further reading reveals that I am looking at about 4 different coach colour schemes too - what have I let myself in for? Some of the books that I have read depict rolling stock in old liveries still being run on branch lines way after colours were changed, so (again the cowards route) I will place my layout in 1946 and run them all together  :D
I have just finished making the base boards for "Wookery". The main scenic section is 4'6" x 2'6", and there are 2'6" x 1'6" sections with return loops to go on each end. There will be a small fiddle yard at the rear of the scenic section. I figure that I can then add further modules in the future and possibly end up with an L shaped layout.
My first module will be very "busy" with a two track mainline so that I can run the long stuff, and two branch lines coming into the station, with a run around loop and a turntable. To the rear another line will enter from the fiddle yard supplying 5 sidings, where there will be a range of goods sheds, factories and coal yards - as much industry as I can cram in.
Not very protypical I know, but I've planned it this way because I have 3 grandsons to keep amused (hopefully) and I want to have plenty to do to keep viewers entertained at exhibitions.
Operation will be DCC via a Roco multimaus controller. I'm not sure that any of my locos are DCC ready, so that could be my first stumbling point........
The bases are constructed from 6mm plywood, raised 4" on plinths of the same material. I have sealed the surfaces with diluted UPVA, and the next job is to lay cork strips ready for the track laying. Scenery on this first module will of necessity be minimal, probably confined to road bridges scanning track at either end and leading to a high-level "High Street" across the back and partly over the fiddle yard. Module two will be scenic, I promise!
However, without even laying a track yet, I have a question - I have purchased some conflats with GWR furniture containers, putrely cos I loved the look of them, and I am wondering how these would have been lifted from the trucks onto waiting flatbed lorries - would a simple yard crane have been sufficient, or would they need something more substantial? Would they even have been handled at a branch line goods yard, or would they have been transhipped only at more major yards?
Thank you for your patience with a nooby (even if he is an OLD nooby) and any help appreciated!

Offline Oldun

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
Re: Wookery
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 03:51:33 pm »
Welcome to the forum 'wookie'

Having read your post, welcome to 'rule 1'. "It's my railway and I'll run what I like" :D

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 04:09:41 pm »
Hi Wookie, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I like the sound of your plan, especially as you have ignited a light bulb in my brain cell about running a goods yard off the hidden fiddle yard - Thank You. :thumbsup:
I'm no authority on the containers but I would imagine in those days (pre fork lift trucks) they may have just craned them off using chains :hmmm:
I'm sure someone will know.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:39 pm »
Welcome. I can only re-enforce what Oldun said. Rule 1 definitely applies. Run what you like when you like.
Plenty of advice on here and good to see another GWR/WR coming along.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline davieb

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 04:58:12 pm »
Hi Wookie welcome to the forum  :thumbsup:

looking forward to seeing some pictures of your progress  :camera:

Sorry I can't answer your question about the conflats but you may find what you are looking for on this website

http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/index.htm#bash

Hope this helps  :hmmm:

dave  :thumbsup:

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 05:14:48 pm »
I'd already found that site Dave, but couldn't find an answer  :(
Well, under rule 1 it would seem that they are gonna get unloaded by a humble yard crane.
Rule 1 sounds very similar to the football in the playground rule....it's my my ball so I'm team captain  :D

Thanks for the welcomes everybody.....

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 06:53:17 pm »
Welcome to the friendly forum Wookie, nice to have you with us.  Have a good look around and I am sure someone on here will know the answer to your query.
 :welcomesign:

Offline scotsoft

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 07:30:39 pm »
Welcome aboard Wookie  :thumbsup:

From reading your post I would hesitate to call you a noob, you seem to have a wealth of knowledge and a clear idea of what you want to do  ;)

I hope you enjoy your time spent on the forum  :wave:

cheers John.

Offline petercharlesfagg

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23769
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 07:49:43 pm »
 :welcomesign:

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 09:22:48 pm »
Welcome, Wookie.

Containers were removed from Conflats, as far as I know, either by gantry cranes like the one at the top of the Wenfordbridge branch (I can send you a picture in a PM as it is copyright I cannot put it here) or four-wheeled self-powered mobile cranes like the Coles one (at least they were Coles in BR days); it is not difficult to make a model crane of either gantry (there is a kit available) or mobile (it has been described on the forum). I'm amassing Conflats and Containers for my layout as they were very common in North Cornwall up to the end of the 1960s so have an interest in this topic.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 08:44:36 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 10:51:46 pm »
Thanks Chris. I think either of those would be too big to have been used at a small branch line terminus.
I guess my conflats will just have to be on the mainline through trains and look pretty  :(

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 01:18:42 pm »
Well, Wookie, it really depends on whether there is enough freight business to justify the investment in the overhead gantry crane (which is likely to have been put up before BR when virtually all goods went by rail). The requisite industry can be 'off scene' and that is why Containers are used to tranship goods in the goods yard for road transport to a factory, abattoir (a lot of meat was shipped in insulated Containers), etc. which does not have rail access and whose customers do not have rail access either. So, if you want to have a gantry crane and Containers on Conflats, you can. After all the end of the Wenfordbridge branch had a gantry crane and I've photos of Containers on Conflats on the branch which is in a rural area. There is a prototype for everything! 8-)

Offline wookie

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 01:24:37 pm »
Hmmm ok. Could you send me some of those photos then please. As it turns out, I might not have room for the turntable I intended to use, so maybe I'll have a bit more room for a crane of some sort.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 01:48:31 pm »
OK, Wookie. Please, give me some time to find the photos, scan them and email them to you as I have a lot of books on North Cornwall!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 12:35:46 pm »
I've found and scanned the pictures of the Wenford Bridge Terminus with its 1926 5-ton Overhead Gantry Crane and Conflats and Containers which I think will be just what you're looking for. If you send me a private message with your email address I'll send them to you.

Knightwing make a N SCALE MODEL DOUBLE TRACK GANTRY CRANE (UNPAINTED and UNASSEMBLED) KIT that looks suitable.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here