!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Capital Lines  (Read 29177 times)

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
Re: The Capital Lines
« Reply #405 on: November 03, 2017, 02:33:45 pm »
All together now - "1001 cleans a big, big carpet, for less than half a crown" ;D

I always preferred "All the dirt, all the grit, Hoover gets out all the shh..." :D

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #406 on: November 03, 2017, 03:14:25 pm »
.....sssshine your buckles with Brasso, only 3 pence a tin....

Whoops, Scouting flashback  :D

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4129.msg46795#msg46795

Offline daveg

• N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #407 on: November 03, 2017, 05:16:21 pm »
Looks great, Tut!

Now, stop all this harking back or I'll start singing 'We are the Ovaltineys.'! ::)

Dave G

• Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #408 on: November 09, 2017, 08:52:33 pm »

I've removed and relaid this siding not once but twice tonight, the first attempt went down with exactly the same dog-leg I'd been trying to get rid of :veryangry:  Must be something wrong with my eyes :-[

But on the plus side, pulling up copydex is quite addictive :D

Offline daveg

• N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #409 on: November 10, 2017, 08:41:22 am »
Commiserations. I have a short section of track that simply won't stay put!

Of course, it's in the worst possible place so getting the darned thing right is being a right old PITA!

Perhaps I could ignore it and it'll go away?  :confused1:

Dave G

• Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #410 on: November 10, 2017, 02:05:03 pm »

Today I've started linking in the computer, which means there'll be lots of playing and little construction in the near future :)

So, to be going on with, here's a view I don't normally see as it involves leaning on the wall on the other side of the layout.

The radius of the Kato N banked curves looks more than acceptable with a train passing, I think, especially with the addition of the home-made transition.  OO would have been very tight in this space :P

The blue Kato DC controller isn't used for running trains, it merely powers the point switches at the moment and will disappear as I progress with linking up the computer and accessory decoders 8)

• Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #411 on: November 10, 2017, 08:56:30 pm »

There's nothing like train detection for finding wiring issues that simple running doesn't show.  I've got a couple of issues where a train will show as occupying two sections although it's only in one.  Having exhausted all the obvious solutions I suspect it may be the design of the Kato insulating joiners.  The actual insulating part is so tiny that I'm guessing the two isolated rails can touch if you squash them together a little too enthusiastically.  Can't confirm that yet, but I'd put money on it!

I'm using the JMRI suite of software for initial testing.  Although I do own a paid for copy of Freiwald's mighty Traincontroller, I've not fired up Windows for well over a year and don't fancy sitting through hours of updates when I eventually do :uneasy:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #412 on: November 10, 2017, 10:59:43 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the updates Steve & love the photo
     regards Derek.

Offline Ian Morton

• Ebay
    • Modelscape
    • Awards
« Reply #413 on: November 10, 2017, 11:36:25 pm »
I've not fired up Windows for well over a year and don't fancy sitting through hours of updates when I eventually do :uneasy:
A year? You can get that if you don't fire it up for a week!  :veryangry:

• Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #414 on: November 14, 2017, 06:56:59 pm »

Things are moving along nicely on the control front.  Finally bringing the points under DCC control is, in particular, a welcome relief.

Initially I'm fitting Digitrax DS64 stationary decoders to control the Kato points, I have other types piled up for later but the Digitrax examples work straight out of the box with Katos, no programming or clever wiring required.

Under normal circumstances, the black wire from the point goes to the 'R' terminals and the red wire to the 'G' terminals.  The 'common' terminals are not used with Kato points as they're two wire only.  For flexibility I've added short leads with plugs cut off from Kato extension cables, but obviously direct bare wire connection would be simpler.

• Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #415 on: November 16, 2017, 11:09:25 am »

First thing this morning I fitted a DCC decoder to one of my Kato DD51 diesels.  I'd been putting this off for a while pending chassis hacking but decided to go the plug'n'play Digitrax route in the end just to get it off the shelf and onto the layout quicker.  I can always upgrade to a better decoder in the future if I fancy, in fact it's number 697,329 on my do-list already ;)

Full instructions for fitting the Digitrax DN163K1D decoder can be found at http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB124/kato-dd51-installation-of-dn163k1d/ but, to be honest, by far the trickiest bit is working out how the body comes off! :D

• Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #416 on: November 20, 2017, 12:39:39 pm »

I'm still labouring away on the scenic fiddle yard and I've managed a lot of work over the last few days  :thumbsup:

As well as extensive ballasting in the distance (unfortunately largely burnt out by the mixed lighting in the photo - must get some more tubes to even it out!) I've been busy on the nearest trackwork as well.  Most of the points in the foreground are fixed down and DCC controlled, I'm now working on trimming the connecting pieces to fit - I've just glued in the one dead centre and the rest will follow hopefully today.

All the blue Kato point control switches are now disconnected and need to be removed, another job for today.

Most of the work has been underboard wiring and computer fiddling, however, not something you can tell from a photo.  I still need to track-circuit some of the formation in the distance, anything with a glass jar standing on it is 'dark' territory at the moment.

I know I shouldn't, but Kato station canopies are ideal for storing tools while working - push-pins for holding the cork down at the moment :-[

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #417 on: November 20, 2017, 12:47:57 pm »
Looks good.
I like the idea of a scenic fiddle yard and itís something that Iím considering.
Nothing wrong with using the canopies for storage. Saves having things laying all over the place.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #418 on: November 20, 2017, 02:14:33 pm »

I'm still labouring away on the scenic fiddle yard and I've managed a lot of work over the last few days  :thumbsup:

Looks good.
I like the idea of a scenic fiddle yard and it’s something that I’m considering.

I think it's a great idea as well, especially if it is primarily a staging yard to hold trains between movements.  I think that a small hidden fiddle yard is fine where one is making up trains and suchlike, but a large hidden staging yard is, to me, a waste of modelling potential (and its nice to see the trains). 

This looks like it will be an exceptionally good example of the scenic approach.

All good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

• Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #419 on: Yesterday at 07:29:43 pm »

Those screws are marking the pilot holes where colour light signals will probably go, although I accept they look more like LNWR water columns currently than signals.  The chocolate block connectors are place-holders for calling-on and/or shunt signals.

It's too early to actually fit signals permanently in place as they're very vulnerable to elbows and stomachs under normal circumstances, yet alone when construction is under way.  But they do need to be prepared for early on so as to ensure equipment and cabling will actually fit without drilling holes through cross-members or expensive boxes of electronics!

Signals will be driven from the Digitrax SE8C modules I've got.  I'm keeping these and the points on a completely different circuit to the main DCC power so they'll still function fully in the event of a short-circuit on the tracks.

To be honest, I need to do a fair bit more thinking on the signalling front.  This is the scenic fiddle yard I'm tackling first so, whilst full signalling would be overkill, a complete lack would be un-railway-like.  I'm aiming for something inbetween, a bit of working scenery for videos I guess.

On top of that, the fiddle yard is supposed to provide some sort of playground for my Japanese stock (the main layout will be British) so the signalling needs to be both simplified and fairly generic.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:32:32 pm by tutenkhamunsleeping, Reason: It\'s the missing word round! »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything