!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 295272 times)

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #4335 on: November 20, 2017, 04:22:02 pm »
Lovely photos.
That is indeed a very smart lookng train.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #4336 on: November 20, 2017, 05:51:59 pm »
Thank you, Martin. They are my 4-car rake of rare Minitrix BR SR Green BR Standard coaches. Minitrix only ever produced BCK and CK models but I have two without any 1st Class markings (it looks like they were produced without them) so they can be used as a BSK and a SK (from one side it looks like one). Eventually, they will be upgraded with flush windows, running numbers and end markings, like 'C1'. I also have some Minitrix BR SR Green BR Standard BCKs to be similarly upgraded for use with the "Atlantic Coast Express" and / or the CIWL Pullman "Star of the West" train. As a first step, they all have had their buffers painted silver, their axlebox covers painted gloss yellow and one has had its grey plastic bogies painted gloss black.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:55:56 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #4337 on: November 20, 2017, 07:22:00 pm »
Blimey!  It must have been jolly good fun being a travel agent or a journalist in the early 'sixties.  That sounds like a most agreeable weekend.

Very good pictures, thank you very much.  The Birmingham 'Type 3' certainly looks the part with its SR green rolling stock.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4338 on: November 20, 2017, 07:33:47 pm »
Thank you, John. As Sylvia explained to a recent meeting of the Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways, "Publicity has helped us achieve 5 times the value of advertising for every £1 spent. If the message comes from a third party (not paid, but endorsed) like a respected journalist or trusted travel agent, the additional credibility may result in 10 times the value.”

To which one of the older and more cynical members replied, quoting Humbert Wolfe [hugely popular before WW2]: "You cannot hope to bribe or twist (thank God!) the British journalist. But, seeing what the man will do unbribed, there’s no occasion to."

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4339 on: November 20, 2017, 07:52:36 pm »
A special carrying travel agents and journalists from Waterloo to Penmayne formed of a brand new rake of BR SR Green BR Standard corridor coaches mounted on Swindon B4 bogies (at Lady Penelope's insistence having sampled their smooth riding qualities on the "Bristolian", with her husband) behind a new BRC&W Co. Type 3 passing through Cant Cove on its return journey.

The special passengers were put up for the Friday and Saturday nights in a variety of local hotels and taken on a variety of local tours in North and West Cornwall by special train and luxury motor coach. The Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways is very pleased with all the positive comments and hopes for lots of positive column inches and guest bookings for Christmas & New Year but, especially, next summer. It being a weekend, the 'Chelsea Girls' were at hand to act as guides and on-board hostesses.

Indeed, one party of travel agents from 2 or 3 pf the more eminent companies in London were put up at the Station Hotel at Trepol Bay, having travelled from Penmayne by luxury coach (coutesy Messrs LT Triggs and son of Liskeard). Here we see the coach having arrived outside the hotel:

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4340 on: November 20, 2017, 08:04:23 pm »
Many thanks for another excellent photo., Martin.

Some of the party of journalists from the broadsheets plus representatives of the more exclusive travel agents were booked in to sample the "Cornish Gourmet" weekend at the "Station Hotel", Trepol Bay, whilst their colleagues stayed at "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove. On the special train back to Waterloo (the Buffet Car's bar was kept VERY busy), Sylvia was promised excellent reviews of both the gourmet weekends in the weekend editions of the "Telegraph" and the "Times" as part of lengthy, well-illustrated articles.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #4341 on: November 21, 2017, 08:59:54 am »
Thank you, John. As Sylvia explained to a recent meeting of the Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways, "Publicity has helped us achieve 5 times the value of advertising for every £1 spent. If the message comes from a third party (not paid, but endorsed) like a respected journalist or trusted travel agent, the additional credibility may result in 10 times the value.”

To which one of the older and more cynical members replied, quoting Humbert Wolfe [hugely popular before WW2]: "You cannot hope to bribe or twist (thank God!) the British journalist. But, seeing what the man will do unbribed, there’s no occasion to."

Thank you, it's a shame that Humbert Wolfe appears, at present, to be so little known.  This is so often the case: popular writers, artists and musicians fall into obscurity and then, sometimes, are rediscovered by later generations.

Many thanks for another excellent photo., Martin.

Seconded!  I wish I could get the lighting as good as that when I attempt a photograph...

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4342 on: November 21, 2017, 05:54:06 pm »
Here (based on a list started by John, Claverdon) are all the Blue Riband Graham Farish BR Maroon WR Mk1's that I have been able to identify/buy:

RU MAROON W1915  (374-116A) -- GOT
RU MAROON W1917  (374-121)
SO MAROON W3984 (374-012A) -- GOT
SO MAROON W4912 (374-012C) Weathered (GOT)
CK MAROON W15077 (374-257A) -- GOT
SK MAROON W24165 (374-061A) -- GOT
BSK MAROON W34152 (374-187A) -- At Port Perran
BSK MAROON W34315 (374-187C) Weathered -- GOT
BG MAROON W81266 (374-036A Weathered) -- GOT
GUV MAROON W86148 (374-130) -- GOT

A train of BR WR Maroon BR Standard coaches on an enthusiasts' special from Paddington is due to call at Cant Cove and Penmayne with an unusual loco. at its head which will have to replaced at Cant Cove. A special connecting service from Wadebridge to Port Perran and return is included in the fare. Connecting services from the West Midlands, Somerset, and Dorset will bring other enthusiasts to join the special en route.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:48:04 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4343 on: November 22, 2017, 11:55:13 am »
The Royal Navy special engineers under Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador are still packing up equipment to be returned to Torchwood, by train, in special Pallet Vans. Here we see a local NB Type 2 preparing to take a loaded van to Wadebridge for forwarding via Bodmin to Cardiff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykoxbsyovg7ilxg/20171120_105911.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwwqq9bfjg54160/20171120_105921.jpg?dl=0

After an excellent lunch at "The Station Hotel" the RN personnel will return to Plymouth by the RN bus parked outside whilst Captain Jeremy enjoys some well-earned leave.

One of the two local BRC&W Co. SR Type 3s, D6571,  can be seen passing through light to collect a special goods from Port Perran, Trepol Bay and Wadebridge.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:23:08 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4344 on: November 22, 2017, 12:06:49 pm »
The Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways is sponsoring a special workshop to promote the use of railway freight containers at Trevelver Castle and a train of BD containers in the liveries of various local businesses on BR Conflats has been marshalled and brought to Cant Cove for the arriving delegates to inspect.

Unfortunately, a "Headland Brewery" container could not be found as they were all in use so a SWB van was added at the last minute by the brewery. An exhibition was arranged in the guard's van of one of the surplus WR BR Standard Suburban Brake Second coaches recently purchased by the CLPG for additional local train services which was standing in Wadebridge Yard awaiting use at Christmas and New Year.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrl8bj4a11w4e6k/20171120_111417.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/szj9umgnklcfxqv/20171120_111426.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yopnsgti92udryi/20171120_111435.jpg?dl=0

From L to R, behind the SR Type 3, D6571: "Sam's Cider", "Creech Brewery" (both Somerset), "North Cornwall Pasty Co." (Penmayne), "Castle Estates", "Castle Brewery" (both Trevelver Castle, nr. Cant Cove),  Messrs Prisk & Jones (Fruit & Vegetable Wholesalers), Trepol Bay plus a van in the livery of the "Headland Brewery", who sent their apologies, with the Suburban Brake coach in the rear.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:23:43 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4345 on: November 22, 2017, 12:15:15 pm »
Meanwhile, one of the local Type 2 diesel-hydraulics busies itself in the yard marshalling a goods train for Wadebridge where other wagons and vans will be added.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv3ofbiau4iegta/20171120_111445.jpg?dl=0

A special train conveying the workshop guests arrives in the CLPG's preserved Bulleid 3L Set recently repainted in the BR Crimson & Cream livery that Lord Trevelver rather likes whilst his wife much prefers Southern Green!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gk2yakts38834w0/20171120_112813.jpg?dl=0

To help keep the coaches in immaculate condition, ready for Christmas, a WR diesel loco., NB Type 2, D6327, has been allocated to the service.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i87bdan5hzx3zq0/20171120_112837.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxigy4krr4rvd0f/20171120_113029.jpg?dl=0

Cant Cove's Drewry 0-6-0 shunter, D2290, can be seen in the bay platform with a very grimy Extra-LWB Pallet Van.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4346 on: November 22, 2017, 12:20:42 pm »
Lastly, a rather weather-worn Siphon G carrying loco. spare parts from Swindon Works, can be glimpsed in Cant Cove's headshunt along with the derailed LMR Brake Van that was abandoned as too difficult to recover after a goods train derailment and is now used by the CLPG and friends as an informal clubhouse, excellent for watching passing trains and, with binoculars, observing the small nudist's beach in Cant Cove from the verandah closest to the bay, when there is not a large railway van parked in the way!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqrxcwl4b4xuw8d/20171120_112956.jpg?dl=0

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4347 on: November 22, 2017, 01:16:20 pm »
Thanks for those pictures.
A busy time at Cant Cove.
My Layouts -

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #4348 on: November 22, 2017, 07:10:55 pm »
Excellent photographs; thank you very much.

I'm inclined to agree with Lord Trevelver that BR crimson and cream is a good livery (is it just me or did it suit the lined black locomotives particularly well?).  SR stock green and BR maroon seem to me to lack 'something' of the pre-nationalisation liveries.  I'll need to make excuses as I intend to feature much more crimson and cream in my layout's 1961 guise as the photographic evidence suggests.

All good wishes.

John

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4349 on: November 23, 2017, 08:47:48 pm »
Excellent photographs; thank you very much.

I'm inclined to agree with Lord Trevelver that BR crimson and cream is a good livery (is it just me or did it suit the lined black locomotives particularly well?).  SR stock green and BR maroon seem to me to lack 'something' of the pre-nationalisation liveries.  I'll need to make excuses as I intend to feature much more crimson and cream in my layout's 1961 guise as the photographic evidence suggests.

All good wishes.

John

Thanks, John. BR Crimson & Cream stock lasted into the early 1960s. I have photos. of trains with BR Crimson & Cream, BR Maroon, and BR WR Chocolate & Cream coaches all mixed together so you should be fine. I also have a (longer) rake of WR BR Crimson & Cream stock (mainly BR Standard) for 1950s running but it can, like the Bulleid 3L set also appear, later, as a preserved set! I also have a BR Crimson & Cream autocoach (I believe Martin does, too) and a BR Crimson & Cream liveried ex-GWR diesel railcar, a model of the last one to carry this livery: W24W with white cab roofs. After withdrawal from BR service at Worcester and an overhaul at Worcester Works it was taken down to Cornwall and is preserved by the GWS (Bodmin) and spot leased to BR WR as required. [It is away, at present.]

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here