!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 285463 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #4305 on: November 04, 2017, 09:34:45 am »
Many thanks, John, for another excellent photo. I think those Cornish Locomotive Preservation Group (CLPG) members who are willing to sign the Official Secrets Act may be taken in the TARDIS to admire your beautifully kept locomotives and rolling stock. The Doctor may be prevailed upon to take a Somerset "Sam's Cider" van back in time, too!

Knowing the area, the pilot is most likely to be ex-Fleet Air Arm, whilst the one used by Cant Cove's official photographer worked, in Hollywood, as a stunt pilot. Both pilots are highly experienced.

[The only reason why I have not, yet, placed my orders with Union Mills for the first T9 and the "Black Motor", to be followed by the preserved T9, is that I was able to buy a lot of other locos. on my 'to buy list' at very good prices in September and early October.

Thank you very much, Chris, for that kind compliment.  The locomotive crews hereabouts certainly supplement the sterling efforts of the shed cleaners when it comes to polishing.  And, in a week's time, their efforts will peak when 'D11' 4-4-0 No. 5504 'Jutland' works a special train for the Darrowby and Brawton branches of the Royal British Legion.  She came on shed this morning, ostensibly for light repairs, but actually for a week of fettling and 'bulling'!  Happily, 'Jutland' retains her LNER apple green livery, although many D11s are now in lined black.

Yes, of course, Cornwall, so the pilot was likely to be ex-Fleet Air Arm.  Excellent people.  Apologies for this.

With regard to Union Mills, Mr Heard's present List No.105 (03/10/2017) has only a few models for sale and no 'T9s' or 'Black Motors'.  It certainly looks like Union Mills has found the GWR locomotives to be very successful sellers and these appear to be having priority for production.  A batch of 'Collet Goods' is in production at present, to be followed, in the New Year by 'Dean Goods' and 'Dukedogs'.  You might have to wait a while for a Southern locomotive.  If your CLPG friends fancy a '0395' 0-6-0 in Southern Railway black, they might be lucky as it is on the list, but might have sold out since.

Finally, although I am, sadly, no expert on the doings of the Doctor, I have, of course, encountered him over the years.  He is very welcome to bring CLPG members to see us.  Please ask him to set the dial for the time period New Year's Day 1923 - Hogmanay 1938.  Location is Great Britain.  We'll wait and see where they land as I am given to understand that the TARDIS' navigation is, maybe, not as accurate as that expected in the Fleet Air Arm.

With all good wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #4306 on: November 04, 2017, 12:17:48 pm »
I hope to be able to return to the main story, this week. My apologies for the delay.

Meanwhile, some advance notice, a special BR SR train is being chartered from the West Country to visit Perthshire, for a surprise autumn steam spectacular, from Wadebridge where a portion from Port Perran and Trepol Bay, as well as one from Penmayne and Cant Cove, will be combined before the combined train proceeds via Templecombe and Withy Junction then the West Midlands with an overnight stay in Birmingham near Knotmore Street station. 8-)

Rusty Ryan, celebrity hotelier who owns the Tullibardine Hotel, took a large consignment of these windfall sausages and reported rave reviews from guests at both breakfast and dinner (toad in the hole was in big demand) - so as not to waste the return journey running empty, a supply of prize winning "Puddledub" pork sausages are being transported south, after some rapid fire discussions between Brandon Williams and Aly McAteer of Tullibardine Distillery (who knew the family that produces these acclaimed Scottish sausages)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #4307 on: November 04, 2017, 03:39:08 pm »
Great updates Chris, have spent an enjoyable day catching up with the thread in between work issues

The photographers around Perthshire have been sadly remiss in processing their films in a timely manner, so the interesting pic's of the Palethorpes Siphon have not yet been processed, but they will before the end of the year!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #4308 on: November 04, 2017, 10:18:04 pm »
Many thanks, John. I was afraid that I may have to wait for my "Black Motor" and brace of Mr. Drummond's T9s. I should give the UM owner a call and see when they may be back in production? A second Collett Goods is another possibility but not really required.

Thanks a lot, Andrew, for the sausage saga. I look forward to the photos. Prize-winning "Puddledub" pork sausages will be on the menu of the leading local hostelries.

Photos. of the special BR SR train being chartered from the West Country to visit Perthshire, are also delayed. [The lid of the Cant Cove layout is covered with stuff due to new furniture replacing old in the bedroom.]

A pre-Christmas visit in the TARDIS (I have found my model one and Martin has it's 'twin') is set, then. Susan knows how to get the TARDIS to behave herself. Sylvia will join her and the select group of CLPG members in the time machine, being very fond of the 1920s (from her mother's tales).

I'm sure Martin will know the name and history of the local ex-Fleet Air Arm pilot who takes the photographer up over Trepol Bay and Port Perran. The two WW2 Fleet Air Arm stations in Cornwall were at St Merryn and Treligga. RNAS St Merryn, HMS VULTURE, was opened in 1940 and operated as a fighter training school for aircraft carrier fighter/bombers. HMS VULTURE was used by many first and second line squadrons for flying, combat, armament and ground attack training. It was extended in 1942 to include the School of Air Combat and a new control tower was built in 1944.

A heavy academic workload is preventing me from continuing the story but it will be, soon! Meanwhile, a series of parcels, large and small are planned for posting next week to enable more 'through' running of trains.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 05:34:57 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4309 on: November 07, 2017, 09:31:30 pm »
My continuing tidy up revealed three unboxed duplicate (for me) models: an SR livery SR 'Pillbox' brakevan like the one John showed, plus two Conflats with small Ice Blue insulated containers, one wagon and container being factory weathered. They are used for fish traffic from Trepol Bay and Penmayne Harbours and haven't been photographed at Cant Cove. With the winter storms coming, sometimes a fishing fleet will put in at Penmayne Harbour rather than making for Trepol Bay and a special train has to be run. Otherwise, they are attached to normal timetabled passenger trains or mixed trains.

When order is restored in the bedroom, what's on the lid of the layout will be gone, and I can take some photos. of the 15.13 (SX), to Exeter Central, known as "The Perisher", which conveys "Perishables" in Box Vans, Meat and Insulated Containers behind a returning (to Waterloo, via Exeter and Clapham Junction yard) empty VAN B (News) plus a Maunsell design 2P Set No. 980 (BSK+BCK). Depending on how far back we go in the 1960s, it is hauled by a T9 then an N, then an 80xxx, followed in 1965 by a D63xx or, rarely, a D70xx (in 1964, the last batch of 'Hymeks' were allocated to Newton Abbot but were transferred to Laira three months later, for the next two years). The "Perisher"  connects, at Wadebridge, between 15.22 and 15.34, with a similar mixed train from Trepol Bay whose vans, including a returning empty CCT for newspapers which accompanies the Van B from Wadebridge, are added after those from Penmayne. The goods vehicles go on from Exeter, at around 7PM, to Nine Elms on the end of a perishables goods and milk working.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:47:28 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4310 on: November 09, 2017, 05:33:12 am »
The London newspapers arrive, each weekday morning, quite late in North and West Cornwall, as they travel by overnight train in special newspaper vans loaded at Waterloo station from road vans coming onto the station platform direct from Fleet Street. The train leaves Waterloo at 01.25 and arrives at Wadebridge, behind a Bulleid Light Pacific (off season an N Class 2-6-0), at 09.14, departing at 09.18, where it leaves a BCK (for overnight passengers plus News and Letter Mails in the brake) and SR CCT (Newspapers) to be taken on to Trepol Bay with an additional SK added for local passengers. Meanwhile, the rest of the train continues behind the N to Penmayne. In 1960, the train is formed of a Bulleid 3L: BSK(semi)+CK+BSK(semi) set plus a Bogie Van B (News). However, in 1961, it is formed of a Bulleid BCK+SK (for overnight passengers plus News and Letter Mails in the brake; BCK only off-season) plus a Bogie VAN B (News). Peak season, the formation is much increased to cater for block party bookings.

The papers for Cant Cove are thrown out, by the guard, onto the station platform, in a well-wrapped bundle (using a canvas bag specially provided by the statiomaster at Wadebridge and returned there each evening), as the train passes through at 09.24 (of course, if there are guests on the train travelling to Trevelver Castle, a Special Stop Order is issued). Lord Trevelver's chauffeur is waiting at Cant Cove station, each weekday morning, to collect the Castle's newspapers and bring them up for the Housekeeper to iron before her husband, the Head Butler brings them on a silver tray with a fresh pot of coffee and toast so that Lord and Lady Trevelver may enjoy them, at their leisure, after their breakfast, served at 8.30.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:45:40 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4311 on: November 09, 2017, 11:35:44 am »
The London newspapers arrive, each weekday morning, quite late in North and West Cornwall, as they travel by overnight train in special newspaper vans loaded at Waterloo station from road vans coming onto the station platform direct from Fleet Street. The train leaves Waterloo at 01.25 and arrives at Wadebridge, behind a N Class 2-6-0, at 09.14, departing at 09.18, where it leaves a BCK (overnight passengers) and SR CCT (Newspapers) to be taken on to Trepol Bay with an additional SK added for local passengers. Meanwhile, the rest of the train continues behind the N to Penmayne. In 1960, the train is formed of a Bulleid 3L: BSK(semi)+CK+BSK(semi) set plus a Bogie Van B (News). However, in 1961, it is formed of a Bulleid BCK+SK plus a Bogie VAN B (News). Peak season, the formation is much increased to cater for block party bookings.

The papers for Cant Cove are thrown out, by the guard, onto the station platform, in a well-wrapped bundle (using a canvas bag specially provided by the statiomaster at Wadebridge and returned there each evening), as the train passes through at 09.24 (of course, if there are guests on the train travelling to Trevelver Castle, a Special Stop Order is issued). Lord Trevelver's chauffeur is waiting at Cant Cove station, each weekday morning, to collect the Castle's newspapers and bring them up for the Housekeeper to iron before her husband, the Head Butler brings them on a silver tray with a fresh pot of coffee and toast so that Lord and Lady Trevelver may enjoy them, at their leisure, after their breakfast, served at 8.30.
If you have time to photograph the train at Cant Cove  I’ll replicate it at Trepol Bay Chris.
Trepol Bay being the final destination. Newspapers for Port Perran and on to Newquay arrive via the WR route to Truro.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4312 on: November 09, 2017, 05:28:43 pm »
Thanks, Martin. I'm still waiting for the wardrobe to be delivered. (Getting anything delivered, here, at a particular place and time is not easy.) Once the wardrobe is here, assembled, and everything replaced, I'll have access to Cant Cove and can take photos. of these trains.

Yes, newspapers, mail, milk and other perishables for WR destinations were delivered via the WR mainline so, in our 'Alternative Cornwall' they would come (and the empties leave) via Chacewater / Truro to Port Perran and Newquay. Interestingly, Torrington, despite being on the Southern Railway then Southern Region, was also served (apart from newspapers which were conveyed in an SR Van B) via the (G)WR from Exeter.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:31:39 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4313 on: November 13, 2017, 09:59:24 pm »
“Ladies and Gentlemen,” began Hughie. “I can see that everyone is now settled in their places and I’ve just been informed that Miss Enka Lou-Lou is ready for us, behind these curtains.” Dramatically thrusting out an arm, he pointed, before continuing. “Enka’s second and final set will be in two halves. However, and I mean this most sincerely folks, the young lady has entreated us all to remain silent throughout the entire performance and to remain seated in the short intermission. I have also been asked by Captain Jeremy RN to reassure everyone that any unusual sights or sounds, you may experience during the performance, are absolutely nothing to concern ourselves about. Everything has been checked and double-checked by the Captain’s crack team of Royal Navy Engineers who stand ready for any and every eventuality. Thank you. The electric ceiling lights will now be extinguished.”

In the vast darkened hall, only a faint, unearthly glow could now be seen through the curtains and the four pairs of ground level corridor lights.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you . . . Miss Enka Lou-Lou and . . . ” as the curtains were slowly drawn by the ghostly white figures of the sailors before being quickly wheeled away, “her very special guests, I give you . . . Miss Sofia de La Vega all the way from Izaro and Miss Susan Foreman all the way from . . . London.”

Once, again, there was tremendous applause which quickly faded to stunned silence as, now revealed by three small, individual spotlights, Enka, Sofi, and Susan, appeared for all to see, fully, for the very first time, adorned with dresses of such incredible beauty that no-one was able to look directly at them for more than moment. The dresses seemed less like material than some living, undulating, constantly changing, multi-hued translucent skin glowing from their neck to ankles with a brilliant light of tremendous power and purity. The three young motionless women were sitting on carved wooden stools on a small circular wooden stage. Enka, was in the centre, seated on the tallest stool, Susan to her right and Sofi to her left. Enka held her favourite Spanish acoustic guitar ready in her lap, Sofi held a similar guitar in hers, but Susan was holding what looked like a large translucent flute with a complex arrangement of glowing buttons arrayed along it. Standing next to the stage, to Susan’s right, was Captain Jeremy at what looked like a wooden lectern but held a brightly glowing oblong which he was closely observing.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for such a warm second greeting this very special evening here at Trevelver Castle. This evening is the world premiere of my “Song of the Earth”, which has two parts, and, for its performance, I’m very honoured to be joined by Sofia de La Vega and Susan Foreman, and supported by Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador and his incredibly skilled men. Without their technical skills, this performance would not be possible but without my two dear friends seated on either side of me and their musical skills, this performance would also not be possible. Lastly, I would like to thank from the bottom of my heart, Lord and Lady Trevelver and their wonderful household who have made me feel so very welcome, here. Now,” she smiled, “we may begin. Please, be ready for something you have never, and may never, again, experience!”

On top of the Castle’s Owl Tower, Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart, stood next to the Doctor in front of the array of mysterious equipment from the Torchwood Institute, guarded by some of his very well-armed Scots Guards. One of the soldiers, twenty-first century military digital binoculars supplied by Susan, held to his eyes, informed his officer, “It appears to be moving, sir.”

“Let me, see, Sergeant. Indeed, Doctor, it is.”

“Just as I thought. Now, we’re all in the hands of those three young ladies. We’ve played our part and played it to the best of our abilities.”

“Doctor, you're a genius! You described exactly . . . ”

“Yes, yes, dear Colonel, there are very few of us left. This night will be far more important than anyone, other than myself and Susan, realises!”

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #4314 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:58 pm »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Chris for the story, but you have left us all waiting for more
       regards Derek.

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #4315 on: November 14, 2017, 06:53:00 am »
We await developments with baited breath (I hope we don't get a bite!).  :D
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4316 on: November 14, 2017, 07:45:15 am »
Thanks Chris.
We await the next instalment.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4317 on: November 14, 2017, 08:39:00 pm »
Thank you, Derek, Laurence, and Martin. My apologies for the delay but I'm very busy with very limited free time until mid-December. I hope that I'll be able to post a new episode in a few days.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4318 on: November 14, 2017, 10:03:22 pm »
I'm sorry, I have just been given a very important task that I thought I would be able to do over the Christmas break. Fortunately, I have already done a lot of the preparatory work on my own initiative. I will get a bonus for it (which will pay for more DCC-fitting and, I hope, those UM locos.). However, the story will, inevitably, be delayed as I have existing tasks that I'm barely keeping up-to-date with.

The good news is that the last of the prepainted goods stock is finished and packed and will be posted off to Martin, for completion, tomorrow. That means all of you who would like to add identical goods stock in Martin's PO liveries for 'through' running should receive them before Christmas!

I'm sure that Martin will also be planning a program of special trains for Christmas 1962. So, please, PM him and I'll join in, later.

There also should be some new locos. (diesel and steam) appearing at Cant Cove, next month. But no train photos. until next month. Sorry.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #4319 on: November 14, 2017, 11:10:10 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks Chris totally understand, look forward to more when you can
       regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00