!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 295263 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« on: January 17, 2014, 01:35:33 pm »
At last I am getting closer to having a baseboard for Cant Cove. My (Czech) landlord came this morning and we had a detailed discussion about the construction of the board and he is then going to get me quotes from someone who will actually construct the board for me. The board is constrained by what will fit under one side of the double bed. Using a cardboard mock-up that means 1940mm (just over 6 feet) long by 740mm (slightly under 2 1/2 feet) wide and 200mm (slightly over 1/2 foot) high.

Based on what I have read on this forum, we will use a sandwich construction: wooden framework with crosspieces (positioned not to be under points) as low as possible whilst still leaving space for the castors on which the layout will roll out on using two handles fixed to the front, topped with hardboard (varnished both sides) and then a central oblong area for the track and scenery made up of 2 X 3 high polystyrene insulation sheets glued together (and glued to the hardboard underneath on top of the frame) into which a rivermouth can be cut and a cutting down to the fiddle yard with an additional 3 high insulation sheet(s), or pieces thereof, at the back right-hand side for a hilly meadow to be based on. The hillside will slope down diagonally from top right to top left and will be built onto the insulation sheets. At the back two-thirds of the board the hill will be hollow to allow two additional storage sidings under it, so I need to check the minimum height necessary.

In front will be the river side (below the edge of the two sandwiched insulation sheets and built onto the hardboard top) and at the back will be the fiddle / goods vehicle storage yard on corksheeting glued onto the hardboard. There will be a (very low) backscene with a small hole for the entrance to the fiddle yard, the entrance to be hidden by trees and the fact that the branchline will be descending in a curved cutting with trees along the sides through the layers of insulation boards. (I'm hoping a good sharp knife will be enough to cut through the insulation board. I'm also hoping to keep the incline downwards within the capability of an 0-6-0 hauling a short freight train of four-wheeled wagons. The outside crank Class 08 will be used for gauging trials!)

The whole layout will have a lift off protective top and sides of wood and hardboard to keep out the dust. The idea is that it will be light but strong enough. Using the cardboard mock up it should be just possible to carry the baseboard, diagonally, through the interior doors.

There will be two cable runs under the baseboard: one for DCC power to the tracks and a second for (future) point motors and lighting. Or should that be three cable runs? What technical specifications should the wire be? The position of the wires will be marked on the top of the board to prevent drilling through it when drilling the holes for connecting the power lines to the tracks (droppers) and for lighting (and later the point motors).

I will buy one point motor (no idea which, yet) as a pattern. The idea being to mount the point motors alongside the points in cutouts in the insulation material on top of which the track will be fixed. The cutouts to be covered (as others have described) with card which will be landscaped to match the surroundings. So the plan is to make all the point motor location cutouts and then cover them up and use the great hand in the sky for changing points, for now.

With the track being mounted directly on the insulation board I'm hoping that it will deaden the sound satisfactorily (as well as being easy to use trackpins) but I could also use cork underlay strips under the track (as I will have to in the fiddle yard).

The fiddleyard will be hand-operated (as will all points, initially). For simplicity I'm considering two-aspect BR colour light signals for entrance / exit from the station passing loop. (No working LSWR-pattern semaphores being available.) Maybe also a third two-aspect colour light signal to control exit from the goods yard / branch into the station loop? All other signals will be ground signals and, if modelled at all (the aim will be to build them later), certainly not working.

For fun, I'm toying with the idea of modelling the pair of GWR semaphore signals that were used at Worcester to control ROAD traffic when a train wanted to run along the 'Vinegar Works' branch for where the branchline crosses the road beyond the station yard as working GWR semaphore signals are available. Whether the branchline trains should be similarly controlled I have yet to decide! In any case, it would only be for my personal amusement. (Rule one.)

That's it for now. Thanks for reading this far.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:54:57 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline lionwing

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • If you have nothing nice to say then keep quiet!
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:10:27 pm »
Chris

Looking forward to seeing it develop.   It is a detailed overview.  Do you have a trackplan you could publish?

Thanks.
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 02:47:29 pm »
Sounds like progress is being made, Chris, and I'm sure your research will pay dividends as the layout build commences.
An overall track plan would be appreciated as Lionwing has requested :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 02:53:25 pm »
Chris

Looking forward to seeing it develop.   It is a detailed overview.  Do you have a trackplan you could publish?

Thanks.

Thank you. Yes, there is a trackplan for Cant Cove (and Penmayne) and the original visualisation for Cant Cove based on a a station on the former Bude branch: Whitstone & Bridgerule. They can be found in the Layout Plans directory. I moved the geographical location and added a branchline. (I'm also thinking of adding a single-road engine shed off a second 3-way point where the prototype had a point linking the station loop the headshunt and the entrance to the goods yard.) I'm still updating the trackplan plus scenery but will scan it and replace the previous version posted elsewhere on the forum.

Cant Cove is designed to be a modular unit which could, in the future, be linked by bridging sections (which may, literally be a bridge on the right) on the left to the future Penmayne board (already planned out) and on the right to a bigger fiddleyard representing Wadebridge, Bodmin, Exeter, Plymouth, Nine Elms, Waterloo, Paddington, etc. Until then, I will have to use cassettes at left and right. (Very boring, but I will have the station yard which is a challenge to shunt and the branch for goods traffic to the Castle Estate: milk, meat, grain, beer, stone, timber, for which I have all the necessary wagons.) I also have a full Working Timetable for Summer Saturdays in 1961-1965 based on Padstow's with additions from Newquay.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:23:16 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 02:55:40 pm »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 02:57:26 pm »
Sounds like progress is being made, Chris, and I'm sure your research will pay dividends as the layout build commences.
An overall track plan would be appreciated as Lionwing has requested :thumbsup:

Thanks, Nobby. I hope the enforced wait has enabled me to avoid a lot of mistakes by reading and learning from other's experience of layout construction and the advice freely given, here.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:29:48 pm »
Progress, Chris!

Keep us posted as things develop.

dave G

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 08:36:14 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this develop.
Hopefully some pictures at some stage .
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 09:04:37 pm »
Thank you, Dave, Port Perran. Although Cant Cove is a North Cornwall Railway station, the line from Wadebridge to Penmayne on which Cant Cove is the passing place was LSWR with GWR running powers from the start and Port Perran (GWR) was one of the influences. Interestingly, I believe Port Perran is connected with the Padstow - Newquay - Truro line and will also feature SR and WR motive power as will Cant Cove and, later, Penmayne. As it was Padstow saw WR 57XX pannier tanks and 45XX prairie tanks not to mention Ivatt 2-6-2Ts, BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4Ts and occasionally, BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2Ts, as well as Class 22 D63XXs, diesel single railcars and 2- and 3-car DMUs, as well as T9s, Ns, and, of course, Bulleid Light Pacifics, and, especially, the "Atlantic Coast Express", which was my first spur to thinking about a N Gauge railway, again, after more than 30 years! And Class 35 Hymeks worked to nearby Bude although not, alas, Class 42 "Warships" and certainly not Class 52 "Westerns".

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 09:11:38 pm »
You don't have to be too true to history with your locomotives. After all, it would, I think, have been possible for Westerns and Warships (and indeed other classes) to reach North Cornwall so you may want to feature them as "what ifs".
I run a few locos out of era (just because I like them!).
And yes, Port Perran will be "fictitiously" linking with Newquay and on up to Padstow at some point in the future. That bit may have to wait 10 months till I semi-retire at 60!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 09:38:31 pm »
As late as 1963 the WR began laying new 109lb/yd flat bottom rail on pre-stressed concrete sleepers on parts of the North Cornwall line, so I'm going to imagine that when the WR took over they further* upgraded the Bodmin - Wadebridge - Penmayne line (Penmayne being much larger than Padstow because the line reached it much earlier than the line to Padstow and being a joint line, in effect, the GWR as well as the SR promoted tourism traffic) for through trains to Paddington as well as the summer specials to / from Cardiff, the NW and NE (I'm using Newquay as the example for my Working Timetable) so Class 42s (I have 2) could head the heaviest trains with Class 35 "Hymeks" (I also have 3) on the lighter trains and Class 22s (again 3) on the local trains plus, off season, my two single diesel railcars (no DMUs yet, apart from my BR Green 3-car Class 101 that appears on enthusiast -- RCTS, SLS, CAMRA specials) but I will only run my single Grafar Class 52 for fun. (*Bodmin - Wadebridge was upgraded, as a diversionary route, during WW2 to take 43XXs.) In my pre-diesel timetable as the line has not, yet, been upgraded, WR 41/61/81XXs (again, I have three) and my single "Manor" head the through trains to/from Bodmin replacing heavier 4-6-0s at the junction with the WR mainline. (I do have a couple of "Castles" and "Halls" for post-upgrading specials, too.) And, following Port Perran's example, Penmayne has been loaned a Class 14 for use on the PWM trains during upgrading with part of Cant Cove's goods yard turned over to the PWM dept.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:31:53 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 07:06:46 pm »
You don't have to be too true to history with your locomotives. After all, it would, I think, have been possible for Westerns and Warships (and indeed other classes) to reach North Cornwall so you may want to feature them as "what ifs".
I run a few locos out of era (just because I like them!).
And yes, Port Perran will be "fictitiously" linking with Newquay and on up to Padstow at some point in the future. That bit may have to wait 10 months till I semi-retire at 60!

The final section of the North Cornwall Railway  from Wadebridge to the new terminus at Padstow opened in March 1899. There were plans submitted to Parliament in 1893 for a second line into the terminus, to link Padstow with Newquay and Truro - but this never materialised. From the outset the North Cornwall Railway was worked by the London & South Western Railway.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 07:15:09 pm »
So, here is Cant Cove. The engine shed was a last minute addition. It should be off a standard Peco electrofrog point, SL-E399F, so the positioning is not quite correct. I have tried to add the scenery to scale. Both the left-hand road and the old mineral tramway to the right are deliberately tapered for perspective.

Offline beestie

• a 20 year old modeller and a BMW 3 series lover
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 07:25:03 pm »
sounds like my layout chris on castors  with two handles at the front , look's like a good plan .
James Beeston(aka mrjamestrain)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 07:27:07 pm »
sounds like my layout chris on castors  with two handles at the front , look's like a good plan .

Thanks. i probably got the idea for castors and the two handles on the front edge from your layout description. Which castors did you use?

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything