!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggested plans for a beginner  (Read 14063 times)

Offline MattWallace

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Suggested plans for a beginner
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2015, 08:21:14 pm »
Thanks Jon,

That looks great, I'll play around with that.

I popped down to Lord and Butler during my lunchbreak today and priced up the track for this.

As it stands on my previous design, it's going to cost approx 125 for the track alone, so I'm probably going to build the baseboards first, then the suburban line, then finally the yard.

The reason for tackling it in this order is that I'm far happier with the top line than the lower level as I'm not convinced I can fit a class 70/66/whatever into that top headshunt with much room to spare.

I'll upload a new plan later on tonight.

Cheers,

Matt

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2015, 08:37:46 pm »
Thanks Jon,

That looks great, I'll play around with that.

I popped down to Lord and Butler during my lunchbreak today and priced up the track for this.

As it stands on my previous design, it's going to cost approx 125 for the track alone, so I'm probably going to build the baseboards first, then the suburban line, then finally the yard.

The reason for tackling it in this order is that I'm far happier with the top line than the lower level as I'm not convinced I can fit a class 70/66/whatever into that top headshunt with much room to spare.

I'll upload a new plan later on tonight.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt - you're right, not much room to spare but I reckon they should fit.  Remember you have about 3/4" between the toe of the point and the blades.  With small layouts like this you usually end up going for minimum headshunts.  You are absolutely right to think about it of course.

Another thing to watch out for is that the train destined for the Kick-Back "Chemical" siding needs to a) fit in the loop for a run round without loco and b) fit between the toe of the point to the siding and end of top headshunt with the loco attached.  This is a similar situation to the cement sidings on Neal Cooper's "Horseblock Lane" layout.  We took an awful lot of care with this plan to balance the various sidings and the fiddle yard to maximise train length.

The grid squares on this are 2"

Cheers  Jon  :)

We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected. ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline MattWallace

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2015, 10:24:55 pm »
OK, How's this?! :)

I've shamelessly stolen your commuter line layout, added a detachable 3x1 fiddle yard for the freight area and re-laid the track to give two receiving sidings and two unloading sidings plus a stabling point for a shunter.

The freight traffic is as yet unknown, but I'm a lot happier with this so I'll stop hijacking this thread and start a new one for my layout!

Now all I need is a name... :)

Thanks to all for the help, PM me if anyone wants the xtrckcad files.

Matt

Offline fireboxchaser

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2017, 10:47:22 pm »
My very basic diagram of a proposed seawall layout. From Red Rock Cafe, Dawlish Warren to the tunnel mouth at Dawlish. Quite basic as double track with fiddle yard at the rear of the scenery. Wanting to have the illusion of down and up trains with varied traction and the steam hauled Torbay Express.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2017, 09:19:30 am »
Hi Fireboxchaser, and welcome to the forum :wave:
That could be simple but very effective. Not knowing the area at all, is the seafront really ruler straight like that? I reckon it would look far better if the straight at the front was in fact a long shallow curve.
Whichever, it would be great to just sit and watch trains go by.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2017, 10:53:34 am »
Echoing the above post, G'day from Australia and welcome to the NGF!

Also echoing the above post, the use of flex track would enable you to put a nice sweeping curve in with more beach scene.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline fireboxchaser

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2017, 11:19:49 am »
Hi and thanks for your comments. The seawall is actually on a very slight curve, with a curve just past Red Rock which you can see in the distance in the pic. This pic shows the part of the seawall I will be doing.

Cheers
Fireboxchaser

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2017, 11:38:42 am »
Looks good, and the shallowest of curves would make the layout look so much better. Try and make any end curves open to view the largest radius you can fit into your space.

Offline fireboxchaser

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2017, 02:23:46 pm »
No probs with a curve in view at the Dawlish Warren end as the line curves around past Red Rock Cafe, but It dives into Parsons Tunnel at the other end.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2017, 04:04:30 pm »
Its a geeat idea and I do like the idea of a slight curve. I know the line well passing by fairly regularly.
If you can stretch a little further one of my favourite features is Cockwood harbour. We love the Anchor Inn there.

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline fireboxchaser

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2017, 06:20:37 pm »
I would love to include Cockwood Harbour but dont have muchspace for a layout. Maybe something to add for future! :thankyousign:

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2017, 06:44:09 pm »
I would love to include Cockwood Harbour but dont have muchspace for a layout. Maybe something to add for future! :thankyousign:
Cheers  :beers:
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here