!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggested plans for a beginner  (Read 14085 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Suggested plans for a beginner
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 10:23:19 pm »
To be honest, in a collection of some 70 locos, I have only experienced issues on 1st radius curves with Dapol's pacifics and their 9F. Everything else, be it Dapol/Farish/Peco traverses 9" radius OK although when it comes to points I use the Peco small streamline rather than the set track ones.

Online PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 10:25:04 am »
Here is another one.  I got the idea from a charming micro layout featured in the March RM, called Chapel Street  which featured a low level yard and upper level passenger line (a simple spur terminus).  This layout was only 36" in OO, so I reckoned that if you took the concept and made it 48" in N you would have loads of room!

It is a slightly more advanced beginners layout, perhaps for someone who already has modelling skills from making aircraft or boats, and is trying out model railways.  Flex-track is used throughout, and there is an upper level, though it is the simplest one you could imagine, a length of track with no points.   The  upper level train could be used on a shuttle unit like Pete Latham's "Deep Lane" layout.

Six points are used, with an optional seventh to give two alternative fiddle yard arrangements, as shown on the diagram.  The fiddle yard, I would envisage is just a length of track to place the loco and wagons, though of course you could make a simple ladder if you wished.

The Chemical unloading gives an excuse to run those "Albright and Wilson" tanks or similar, or maybe could be for china clay using three silver bullets.    Scrap loading could be a pair of Monster Boxes.  This siding is at the edge so you can imagine the rest of the scrapyard beyond the baseboard. 

The reference to the "Cider Distributor" is a bit tongue in cheek; an excuse to run that NGS Taunton Cider Ferrywaggon that we all have!  China clay and cider? - could be a west country theme!

As usual uncoupling needs to be considered -  I would go EasyShunt throughout, although if you used the Albright and Wilson tanks or similar Farish stock you would have to convert the boxes.

Comments?

Cheers    Jon   :)     
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Rabs

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 12:27:58 pm »
I like it - lots to do and in a nice small space.  I don't think a simple upper level like this is too much for a beginner.
One thing I think might be more tricky is the detachable fiddle yard.  Reliable, detachable baseboard joins are one of the harder bits of baseboard making in my experience.  I'd be tempted to extend the main board in length and have a fixed fiddle yard underneath the upper station (where your 'home use' position is).

Online Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 12:44:54 pm »
Reliable, detachable baseboard joins are one of the harder bits of baseboard making in my experience. 

As long as you keep to just one track crossing the board joint it shouldn't be a problem, just use a pair of normal track joiners. That wouldn't be too difficult for anyone.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline Rabs

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 03:25:08 pm »
Sure, but how do we recommend that they actually attach the baseboards together?  My concern was that getting into alignment dowels and so on might be going a bit far for people without any carpentry experience.  If there's a simple, foolproof way then no problem. I think it's great layout either way.

Online PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 03:53:14 pm »
Hi Rabs, and Jack,

Thanks both for your comments.   I take your point Rabs about connecting the boards.   I have attempted to do a longer layout with integral fiddle yard, along the lines you suggest,   but as of yet I haven't got it to flow well.

So another approach is to think of an easy way to join the boards.....I agree, ideally not dowels.....  :hmmm:.......I'll get back to you!

Cheers   Jon    :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline kevin141

• N Gauge Society Number: 19786
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 04:08:46 pm »
What about a hinge to fold the fiddle board up and down
kevin
Good dinner

Online PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 04:11:52 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Yes - that could work.  And if you took the pin out you could have two sets of half-hinges, one for home, one for exhibition, and attach the "other" half with a length of wire as required.

Cheers

Jon   :)

Online Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 04:16:44 pm »
Too keep it simple all you would need to join the boards is two bolts and some wing nuts with a couple of washers. It isn't rocket science, or am I missing something?  :worried:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Online PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 04:23:40 pm »
Hi Jack,

You are right!!  Yes, if there was a little bit of slop in the set up you could just jiggle it to get the boards level - not really critical if you are going to run the track over it and use joiners as you suggest; not like a multitrack alignment job!    :doh:

Cheers   Jon    :)

Offline Cooper

• N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2013, 09:55:51 pm »
Hi Jon,

I really like this plan, and if I was setting out to build a starter layout again i'd adopt this plan.

It has more industry options than Horseblock Lane, the passenger shuttle is usefully separated and there is still a kick-back siding to complicate the shunting.

This needs building! Cheers for sharing.

Neal.

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2013, 10:02:06 pm »
Here is another one.  I got the idea from a charming micro layout featured in the March RM, called Chapel Street  which featured a low level yard and upper level passenger line (a simple spur terminus).  This layout was only 36" in OO, so I reckoned that if you took the concept and made it 48" in N you would have loads of room!

I really like this idea and I think that you should build it :thumbsup: Lots of stuff to see and lots of good operational potential :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline Rabs

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2013, 10:21:27 pm »
Sounds like there's a plan for joining sections easily so this might be redundant now, but here's a quick mashup image of what I meant by putting it all on one board:

Keep the fiddleyard in exactly the position that you proposed for the 'at home' position and just extend the upper line to come across in front of it.

Online PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2013, 10:40:00 pm »
Thanks Rabs,

Yes - that would work.   You could put a RH SetTrack point under the station area and have a two road fddle yard too.   

Intrigued to know how you did it - it's like looking at the plan through ripple glass!! :goggleeyes:

Cheers

Jon    :)

Offline Rabs

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2013, 12:12:14 am »
Intrigued to know how you did it - it's like looking at the plan through ripple glass

Badly

Photoshop clone tool used with not enough care for a good result but hopefully enough for my meaning to be understood.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here