Matt Finish Vinyls from Electra

Started by Adam1701D, June 25, 2011, 12:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1701D

I've just taken receipt of some matt vinyl to have a play around with. First indications are very promising, with the same level of detail and colour reproduction as the glossy vinyl but without the sheen.

Currently, I'm doing a few test pieces, in order to get the best cutting depth and should be able to post some pictures soon.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

MJKERR

Looking forward to these, as many people have commented they won't use vinyls due to the sheen / too obvious

Will this apply to all future releases or phased in?

Adam1701D

I'm hoping to be able to offer matt finish as an option for all orders.

Whilst the colour and quality of the matt vinyl is good, I'm a little concerned about the stability of the print, so may need to spray the sheets before I can send them out. it seems to take very little effort to scratch the ink on the matt stuff compared to the gloss.

Anyway, this is what testing's all about, so let's wait and see!!  :)
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Adam1701D

Here's the first test application of the matt vinyl (that I'm willing to share  :-\) Apologies for the poor quality - taken on a camera phone.

I do have concerns about the durability of the printed finish of the vinyls when being applied. The ink comes off too easily for my liking.

The answer will be to spray the sheets with lacquer after printing for protection. I think it will be worth it.
:Class91:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Tank

It's hard to see the results, but I'm sure they'll be great.  :)  Will you apply the laquer before sending them, or will the customer be expected to do that? ???

Adam1701D

Sorry about the dodgy pics...I'll take some proper ones in daylight tomorrow, along with some comparison shots with shiny vinyls and RTR stock.

I'll spray the sheets before cutting for the best results.

Here's a matt RfD 90 that I'm doing RTR for a customer.

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Adam1701D

Here's a couple of better photos of matt-finished stock:

BREL International Coach sprayed with matt-finish lacquer.

Blue/Grey Mark 1 CK printed on matt vinyl.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations