!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gleneagles circa 1962  (Read 7895 times)

Offline dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12791
    • Awards
Re: Gleneagles circa 1962
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 03:00:50 pm »

Another guessing game I'm afraid. The coach, not the loco. This is the branch train for Crieff from Gleneagles in 1963 when the railbus had failed.

Anyone identify the type of coach please?

It looks like a Stanier BSK. You are right about the service. I read somewhere a class 5 was used so that the coal and water supplies were sufficient.

Dodger

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 03:51:16 pm »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/8242188854/#in/set-72157631918193203

I got another pic from the branch line itself. Says a Stanier and a Porthole Composite......???

Offline dodger

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 04:54:56 pm »
Thats another train. The first picture shows a Standard 5 and the second a Stanier 5. to me the coach in the first picture is definitely a Stanier and there looks like a lookout ducket at the far end making it a brake vehicle. The window nearest the loco dont look to be round, therefore not a porthole. it could be the same vehicle as the brake vehicle in the second picture, which is a Stanier BSK.

Dodger

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 05:04:26 pm »
Thats another train. The first picture shows a Standard 5 and the second a Stanier 5. to me the coach in the first picture is definitely a Stanier and there looks like a lookout ducket at the far end making it a brake vehicle. The window nearest the loco dont look to be round, therefore not a porthole. it could be the same vehicle as the brake vehicle in the second picture, which is a Stanier BSK.

Dodger

Now then, you've cleared up a mystery.. Standard 5 v. Stanier 5. I agree about the BSK possibly being the same vehicle in both pics. Intrigued by the coach farthest from loco in second pic referred to as a porthole composite.

Farish do the BSK but only in Crimson & Cream AFAIK

I'll need to dig out my black five to check if it is Standard or Stanier.......

Offline dodger

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 05:16:48 pm »
Five  of the very early standard 5's were allocated to Perth for a number of years.

One of the phases of Stanier coaches had round toilet windows, hence the name porthole.

dodger

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 05:26:06 pm »
Yes I understand some of the Standard 5's served their life at Perth shed.

Thanks for your help.

I got another interesting photo here http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5796327937/#lightbox/
 :thankyousign:

Offline dean thom

• N Gauge Society Number: 20608
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 07:17:47 pm »
its a Stanier coach for sure. beyond that i can't help further. Dx

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 10:26:16 pm »
Locomotive Railway Carriage & Wagon Review

Volume 36 (1930)

No. 450 (February)

Locomotive for Gleneagles Hotel, L.M.S.R. 63. illus.
0-4-0ST No. 16048 (Peckett WN 977/1904.

Looking for information on the above. Assuming this loco was for the hotel branch working would it have been there until the Crieff line closed?  Of course perhaps it was only for working at the hotel? Any info welcomed. Are these available in N?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:39:06 pm by Arrachogaidh »

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 11:24:21 pm »
0-4-0ST No. 16048 (Peckett WN 977/1904.[/color][/font]

Looking for information on the above. Assuming this loco was for the hotel branch working would it have been there until the Crieff line closed?  Of course perhaps it was only for working at the hotel? Any info welcomed. Are these available in N?

Without knowing the dimensions and style its hard to guess. Peckett manufactured a lot of very small steam locos. N Brass do an etched kit of one GWR/SHT variation although chassis are tricky. Peco long ago did a very out of scale white metal one. You are probably looking a locomotive that is as short as a mineral wagon and not a lot higher, with a wheelbase of about 6'.

http://www.martynbane.co.uk/peckett/locos.htm

gives a flavour
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 11:33:06 am »

Without knowing the dimensions and style its hard to guess. Peckett manufactured a lot of very small steam locos. N Brass do an etched kit of one GWR/SHT variation although chassis are tricky. Peco long ago did a very out of scale white metal one. You are probably looking a locomotive that is as short as a mineral wagon and not a lot higher, with a wheelbase of about 6'.

gives a flavour

Thanks for that Alan. I had found the link yesterday to that site. Very informative. It's what made me wonder if the Peckett would have been used solely at the hotel or taken wagons down to the station yard.

Offline 1whitemoor

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 11:57:10 am »

gives a flavour

Thanks for that Alan. I had found the link yesterday to that site. Very informative. It's what made me wonder if the Peckett would have been used solely at the hotel or taken wagons down to the station yard.

Someone on the RMweb industrial section will probably know:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/145-uk-standard-gauge-industrial/

I had a quick look, but I can't find anything on it online. It's in an IRS (industrial Railway society) book which someone will have. Sadly it's one of the volumes which is not available online.

It could be any (of early design) size. It's an earlier Peckett, so perhaps an "R2" class which were pretty common and of 0-4-0 design.

As Etched pixels points out, they're not well represented in N. My Peckett is the N brass locos version, but I have chosen to model one with inside cylinders as it's much simpler. Put simply, there's no scae chassis available with outside cylinders.

I hope that's of some help

Paul A.

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 12:06:49 pm »

Paul, I'll give that a try. Just looking for the info at moment.

Brian

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 05:51:20 pm »
Well, it is almost twenty years since I developed an interest in Model Railways, n gauge in particular.
I guess it was becoming a father that did it. Took son to shows, bought some trains to play with and set up track ovals on dining tables etc.

Over time I did some research on a station I used often but more as it was close to my heart being near my at one time family home. This was Gleneagles Station.

I had many contacts over the years who passed on drawings etc. but I stored them for some day when I get round to doing a layout.

Well, redundant and retired I am at long last getting all the stuff out of boxes bit by bit. Today I came across Signalling/Track layout diagrams from 1953 which show the simplified layout in place before closure of much of the layout in 1964. The plans were passed to me by a Peter Stanton, worked as a D&C Manager Birmingham for Railtrack, for which I am grateful. We lost touch and he wasn't able to give me a good deal more stuff he was intent on obtaining.

Well, here is a bash at drafting the layout. Poetic license to the Perth end where a loco servicing area will appear instead of the engineer's coup.

Happy to hear your ideas as always.

Brian

This is first attempt and a bit of a paste-up. Will do again in code 55.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:39:16 am by Arrachogaidh »

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 09:15:38 pm »
Well, I got it done in Code 55 but it'll take time to get the photo up I think.....

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 03:34:25 pm »
Full station area and branch line with loco facilities. Based on Gleneagles 1953 track plan.

Now I just have to fit it in my garage......

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything