!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 21B Bournville Shed  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Zunnan

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17178
    • Facebook
    • Awards
21B Bournville Shed
« on: November 24, 2014, 09:57:44 pm »
This little work in progress is usually the bane of my home life. It is frequently the cause of modelling burnout even though I only get 3 hours a week and have to drive to the opposite side of the City to get to it. There is usually something being built at home be it bridges, houses and occasionally soldering up coaches. Very little has ever been posted online about the still ongoing construction of Bournville Shed, my own layouts (many of which are long gone) have had more online exposure, my photographic diorama has too! Attending Warley this weekend really has shifted a bit of attention towards this layout, so I thought it was about time to actually write something about my thus far hidden away project.

I've posted more in depth elsewhere, linked to in the Bournville logo in my sig, so I won't repeat what I have said elsewhere. I'll open here with a bit of a summary I think.  ;)
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Offline Zunnan

• Facebook
    • Awards
Re: 21B Bournville Shed
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:22:45 pm »
The real thing was built in 1895 to serve the South end of the Birmingham West Suburban Railway as the City rapidly expanded. Originally built with a 50ft turntable, it was enlarged in 1948 to house a 57ft turntable within the typical Midland Railway roundhouse. It operated until closure in February 1960 as a sub shed of Saltley and was swiftly and completely swept away within 18 months. It was notable for its allocation of Midland Railway 2F locomotives, some of the very last remaining in service, kept in service for the heavily weight restricted Halesowen Branch with the steel viaduct at Dowery Dell as almost nothing else had a low enough axle loading for the route.

The shed layout when scaled to N Gauge fits very snugly into an 8' x 2' area with almost no compression, which allows us a faithful trackplan to the prototype. At the time handlaying the track would have involved copperclad, Finetrax was still gestating, in fact I don't think it had even been concieved as a serious idea. The 2mm solution was a no go due to the lack of time we have available for club meetings, so Peco code 55 with its then new 3 way point became the weapon of choice. If I were to build the layout today, it would use Finetrax components throughout.

After the first layout was abandoned (well, I deviously had the club elect to bin it in favour of my rebuild soon after I joined) the foundations for the layout you see now were laid in mid 2011. Every week, we have to carry out an exhibition style set up and breakdown, so that 3 hours a week in the club room turns into a realistic 2 hours modelling time. In the 3 and a half years the layout has been under construction we have had access to it for around 450 hours, which when you think about it isn't really that long. Scenically the layout is now 50% complete, but Warley pretty much wrung the last of the life out of the fiddle yard.

The yard has put up a real fight over the years, it has been set up and broken down, unpacked and packed away 150 or so times and been out on the road under exhibition conditions for 2 years, but it is pretty much a spent force now.

Offline Zunnan

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:39:38 pm »
After Warley closed, I realised that I have never really photographed the layout with all of the scenery (so far in place) and not being worked on in some manner. I have always done that to my layouts as they have progressed, so I thought I should take a few of Bournville as the exhibition lights were being turned out and everyone was packing away.

The last is probably my favourite, scenically almost complete. All that is really needed is the point rodding and telegraph poles...and that damn ground signal on the lower right needs moving!

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 10:05:20 am »
Excellent pictures Z, so realistic, fine modelling.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Geoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21731
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 10:16:28 am »
Thanks for sharing, inspiration for us all.
Geoff

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:12:21 am »
Looks great  :greatpicturessign:

Despite having passed through Bournville Station many times as a squidlet I had no idea about its existence; for the curious such as myself, a couple of links:

* Warwickshire Railways - Bournville Shed
* Bournville Shed - photos
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:13:05 am »
You've captured the look of that area very well - my preference is the 2nd pic :thumbsup:

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:26:20 pm »
Atmosphere is not an easy thing to capture in a model railway. Your layout has it, in huge quantities. Even without any trains you would still be able to work out roughly where it is set. Love it.

Offline Zunnan

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 12:34:50 pm »
Thanks for the comments chaps, and thank you railsquid for popping those links in, something I should have remembered to add in myself when posting! Here is another link for rail related images of the period around Brum by the photographer I hold most responsible for inspiring the overall feel of this layout.

http://www.photobydjnorton.com/BhamRailSites.html

I also found a Youtube vid I put together when I was tinkering with an HD dog camera...I have Alaskan Malamutes that I run, the camera was for them but it fits nicely on a flat wagon and keeps inside the layout loading gauge. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPOhZtQCj4Q#ws

Offline Zunnan

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 11:24:31 am »
A bit of a break following on from Warley has resulted in little work other than patching up the fiddle yard. It works properly again though! ...for now  :beers:

In this state, Bournville is back out on the road this weekend, attending the West Bromwich exhibition. I haven't yet decided what work I'm going to do on the layout yet...but I'll think of something!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here